Welcome to our Great Weapon Fighter Guide, updated for Ravenloft, mod 14. In this guide, we will give you tips and info on how to play the Great Weapon Fighter class.
The Great Weapon Fighter is a typical melee DPS class. They rely on strength to deliver huge blows to their enemies with their two-handed weapons. They can hold aggro very well and has decent defense capabilities, but can be very gear dependant. Great Weapon fighter are also some of the fastest and best soloers in the game, as well as being sought after in groups.
This Great Weapon Fighter guide is meant as a general guideline. To get the most out of your character, tailor him or her to your playstyle. The Neverwinter Reddit is a good place to start if you want to learn more about your class. More builds and further info can also be found at MMOMinds.
Great Weapon Fighter Guide Index
- Basic Great Weapon Fighter Info
- Great Weapon Fighter Gear & Enchantments
- Great Weapon Fighter Companions & Mounts
- Great Weapon Fighter Boons
- Great Weapon Fighter Paragon Paths & Powers
Basic Great Weapon Fighter Info
Best Races as a Great Weapon Fighter :
- Dragonborn: +2 to any stats. Dragon Heritage (5% extra healing from spells and abilities). Dragonborn Fury (3% extra power and crit).
- Half-Orc : +2 Dex, +2 Str / +2 Con. Furious Assault (5% more crit severity). Swift Charge (10% increased run speed when you enter combat).
Great Weapon Fighter Attribute Priority :
- Strenght > Dexterity
Great Weapon Fighter Stat Priority :
For stats in Neverwinter, aim to hit the hard/soft cap of your primary stat, then secondary and so forth. Try not to waste stats by going over the caps, and instead start gearing towards another stat.
- Armor Penetration (Cap Resistance Ignored at 100%) > Crit (Caps at 100%) > Power > Defense (Caps Damage Resistance at 95%) > Deflection (Caps at 100%) > Hit Points > Recovery
Great Weapon Fighter Gear & Enchantments
If you are new to Neverwinter and need to know how to get better gear and increase your item level, check out our Gearing Up Guide. If you want to plan out your character and see what items are available the Neverwinter Character Simulator is a great tool.
- Bladelord’s Assault Helm (Best in Slot) > The Seer’s Sallet > Crown of the Undead
- Bladelord’s Raid / Assault Breastplate (Best in Slot) > Knotted Garbs
- Terrored Grips (Best in Slot) > Bladelord’s Raid / Assault Gauntlets
- Heels of Fury (Best in Slot) > Lycan Boots of the Pack
Primary & Secondary:
- Primal Weapons
Neck & Waist:
- Orcus Set (Demogorgon’s Girdle of Might, Baphomet’s Infernal Talisman)
- +5 Rings > Beaded Assault Ring – Bronzewood Raid Ring
Shirt & Pants:
- Upper Primal Paints + Lower Primal Paints
- Primary Artifact: Wheel of Elements / Soul Sight Crystal
- Secondary Artifacts: Shard of Orcus’ Wand (For Set) – Lantern of Revelation – Fragmented Key of Stars
Great Weapon Fighter Enchantments :
When getting enchantments, always get the ones with the stats you are lacking in with your gear, boons, etc in mind. For example, if you’ve capped Crit with your gear and boons, don’t get azure enchantments for your offense slots.
Armor Enchantments :
- Negation Enchantment
Weapon Enchantments :
- Lightning Enchantment
Offense Enchantments :
- Radiant Enchantments
Defense Enchantments :
- Dark Enchantments
Utility Enchantments: Dragon’s Hoard x2 + QuartmasterX2 + 1 Fey Blessing / Dark Enchantments.
Overload Enchantments :
- Various Marks from Stronghold Vendor > Corrupt Black Ice / Lethal / Piercing > Black / Red Dragon Glyph
Armor Reinforcement Kits :
- Power Armor Kit – Armor Penetration Armor Kit – Critical Strike Armor Kit
Jewelry Reinforcement Kits: Action Point Gain Jewel
Great Weapon Fighter Companions & Mounts
The Best Companion for Great Weapon Fighter:
- Summoned Companion: Chultan Tiger > Sellsword. Active Companions: Air Archon, Fire Archon, Siege Master, Erinyes of Belial / Tamed Velociraptor (if rest of party is using one)
For the companion gear from Illusionist’s Gambit, the +4 rings are actually better than the +5 as they have two offensive/defensive enchantment slots and the +5 has an overload slot.
- Bold/Heroic Gear of the Companion
Companion Runestones: Bonding Runestones
The Best Great Weapon Fighter Mounts:
When choosing a Legendary Mount for the Mount Powers, look for a mount that has both a useful equip and combat power. The best choices for a first legendary mount as a Great Weapon Fighter is a Tenser’s Floating Disk.
What other mounts you use is not that important. What is important is to get the right insignia bonuses, and many different mounts can offer the various bonuses. To find out what mount has the bonus you want, check out our Insignia Bonus Guide.
All classes and specs should consider using Wanderer’s Fortune before you have refined all your gear and enchantments, for extra refinement every day.
The Best Great Weapon Fighter Insignia Bonuses :
- Assassin’s Covenant – Protector’s Camaraderie – Artificer’s Persuasion – Gladiators Guile – Cavalry’s Warning
Insignia Type :
- Dominance – Prosperity – Skill
Great Weapon Fighter Mount Powers :
- Mount Equip Power: Dominant Force (4000 power) Mount Combat Power: Tenser’s Transformation (Tenser’s Floating Disk)
Great Weapon Fighter Boons
Elemental Evil :
Wave of Force, Heart of Stone, Searing Aggression, Wall of Wind
Dark Fey Hunter, Fey Precision, Elven Haste, Elven Ferocity, Elvish Fury
Dread Ring :
Reliquary Keeper’s Strenght, Evoker’s Thirst, Forbidden Piercing, Shadowtouch, Rampaging Madness
Icewind Dale :
Encroaching Tactics, Refreshing Chill, Sleet Skills, Cool Resolve, Winter’s Bounty
Primordial Might, Primordial Focus, Drow Ambush Tactics, Dwarven Stamina, Abyssal Strikes
Tyranny of Dragons :
Dragon’s Claws, Dragon’s Gaze, Draconic Armorbreaker, Dragon’s Greed, Dragon’s Fury
The Maze Engine :
Abyssal Siphoning, Demonic Endurance, Demonic Swiftness, Baphomet’s Might
Storm King’s Thunder :
Frosty Demeanor, Hardy Constitution, Icy Wrath, Vengeful Heat, Chill of Winter
The Cloaked Ascendancy :
Aura of Hope, Fiery Frency, Fey Brias, Vision of Beyond
Jungles of Chult :
3x Tyrant’s Terror, x1 Shamanic Grance, 1x Beasts Burden, 1x Overgrown, 2x Lingering Curse
Hardened Bones, Blood Lust
Great Weapon Fighter Paragon Paths & Powers
Swordmaster is the current recommended paragon path for Great Weapon Fighters.
Swordmaster Combat Powers :
At-Wills: Sure Strike & Weapon Master Strike
Class Features: Destroyer & Wrathful Determination
Daily Powers: Crescendo, Slam, Spinning Strike, Avalanche of Steel
Encounter: Hidden Daggers, Daring Shout, Battle Fury, Indomitable Battle Strike
Iron Vanguard Combat Powers :
At-Wills: Wicked Strike & Threatening Rush
Class Features: Ferocious Reaction & Warrior’s Courage
Daily Powers: Slam & Spinning Strike
Encounter Powers: Daring Shout, Battle Fury, Restoring Strike, Come and Get It
Iron Vanguard Feats:
If you have any questions or suggestions about our Great Weapon Fighter Guide, please leave a comment below!