Welcome to our Guardian Fighter Guide, updated for Ravenloft, mod 14. In this guide, we will give you tips and info on how to play the Guardian Fighter class.
The Guardian Fighter is the typical tank class in Neverwinter. The Guardian Fighter class is suited for players who want to be at the forefront of the battle, being able to absorb huge amounts of damage. Paired with a good cleric, the Guardian Fighter is near unbeatable. The Guardian Fighter is however also capable of dishing out some damage and can be played as DPS as well.
The purpose of our class guides is not just to show you a build that you can copy and use on your character, but to show you a base build and teach you the mechanics and stats of the game, so you can understand and play your class to its fullest capabilities. Try different gear, feats and powers and learn to tailor your own build for your playstyle. See our guide to making your own build for more info.
Guardian Fighter Guide Index
- Basic Guardian Fighter Info
- Guardian Fighter Paths & Powers
- Guardian Fighter Boons
- Guardian Fighter Weapons & Gear
- Guardian Fighter Enchantments
- Guardian Fighter Consumables & Buffs
- Guardian Fighter Companions
- Guardian Fighter Mounts
Basic Guardian Fighter Info
Best Races as a Guardian Fighter
- Dragonborn: +2 to any stats. Dragon Heritage (5% extra healing from spells and abilities). Dragonborn Fury (3% extra power and crit). Great race for DPS spec, good for Tank.
- Human: +2 to any stats. Versatile Defense (3% extra defense). Heroic Effort (3 extra heroic feats). Great race for Tanking.
- Dwarf : +2 Con, +2 Str. Stand your Ground (20% resistance to knock and push). Cast-Iron Stomach (20% resistance to DoTs) Great option for tanking.
- Half-Orc : +2 Dex, +2 Str / +2 Con. Furious Assault (5% more crit severity). Swift Charge (10% increased run speed when you enter combat). Good option for DPS.
- Halfing : +2 Dex, +2 Con. Nimble Reaction (3% extra deflection). Bold (10% control resistance). Decent choice for tanking.
Guardian Fighter Attribute / Ability Score Priority
- Tank : Constitution > Dexterity > Strenght
- DPS: Strenght > Charisma > Dexterity (The reason for choosing Cha over dex is to gain combat advantage damage. Dex will give you armor penetration, but at end-game that is easy to cap by other means)
Guardian Fighter Rating / Stat Priority
For stats in Neverwinter, aim to hit the hard/soft cap of your primary stat, then secondary and so forth. Try not to waste stats by going over the caps, and instead start gearing towards another stat.
- Tank : Defense (Caps Damage Resistance at 95%) > Deflection (Caps at 100%) > Hit Points > Armor Penetration (Cap Resistance Ignored at 100%) > Power > Recovery > Crit (Caps at 100%)
- DPS : Armor Penetration (Cap Resistance Ignored at 100%) > Power > Crit (Caps at 100%) > Defense (Caps Damage Resistance at 95%) > Recovery > Deflection (Caps at 100%)
Guardian Fighter Paragon Paths & Powers
The current best paragon path for Guardian Fighters is Swordmaster, both for tanking and DPS. This is mainly due to the ability Weapon Master’s Strike.
Swordmaster Tank Combat Powers
At-Wills: Weapon Master Strike – Tide of Iron
Encounter Powers: Into The Fray – Enforced Threat – Knight’s Valor
Daily Powers: Fighters Recovery – Villains Menace
Class Features: Enhanced Mark – Shield Talent
Swordmaster DPS Combat Powers :
At-Wills: Weapon Master Strike – Crushing Surge
Encounter Powers: Into The Fray, Knights Challenge (Single Target) – Enforced Threat (AoE) – Griffon’s Wrath (Single Target) – Line Breaker Assault (AoE)
Daily Powers: Fighters Recovery – Villains Menace
Class Features: Combat Superiority – Shield Warrior’s Wrath
Swordmaster Tank Feats:
Swordmaster DPS Feats:
We currently have no viable builds for Iron Vanguard
Guardian Fighter Boons
If you still haven’t gotten all your boons, check out our Campaign Completion Guide, with info on how to complete all of the campaigns as fast as possible for all the boons.
Power – Defense – Mount Speed
Tank: Unassailable Tide – Earth’s Renewal – Blazing Resilience – Wall of Wind
DPS: Wave of Force – Earth’s Renewal – Searing Aggression – Gale of Retribution
Tank: Dark Fey Wanderer – Fey Elusiveness – Feywilds Fortitude – Elven Tranquility – Elven Resolve
DPS: Dark Fey Hunter – Fey Precision – Elven Haste – Elven Ferocity – Fey Thistle
Tank: Conjurer’s Gambit / Reliquary Keeper’s Strenght – Illusory Regeneration – Illusion Shimmer – Enraged Regrowth – Augmented Thayan Bastion
DPS: Conjurer’s Gambit / Reliquary Keeper’s Strenght – Illusory Regeneration – Forbidden Piercing – Shadowtouch – Rampaging Madness
Tank: Weathering The Storm – Refreshing Chill – Rapid Thaw – Cold Shoulder – Avalanche
DPS: Encroaching Tactics – Refreshing Chill – Sleet Skills – Cool Resolve – Winter’s Bounty
Tank: Primordial Vitality – Primordial Regenesis – Drow Ambush Tactics – Dwarven Stamina – Abyssal Tenacity
DPS: Primordial Might – Primordial Focus – Drow Ambush Tactics – Dwarven Stamina – Abyssal Strikes
Tyranny of Dragons:
Tank: Dragonheart – Dragon’s Shadow – Dragonscale Defense – Dragon’s Greed – Dragon Revival
DPS: Dragon’s Claws – Dragon’s Gaze – Draconic Armorbreaker – Dragon’s Greed – Dragon’s Fury
The Maze Engine:
Tank: Abyssal Regeneration – Demonic Influence – Demonic Endurance – Displace Fate
DPS: Abyssal Siphoning – Demonic Influence – Demonic Swiftness – Baphomet’s Might
Storm King’s Thunder:
Tank: Frosty Demeanor – Hardy Constitution – Chill Determination – Glacial Strength – Frozen Reflection
DPS: Cold Hearted – Hardy Constitution – Icy Wrath – Vengeful Heat – Chill of Winter
The Cloaked Ascendancy:
Tank: Aura of Hope – Healing Heat – Soothing Zephyr – Planar Vitality
DPS: Aura of Hope – Fiery Frenzy – Soothing Zephyr – Aberrant Power
Jungles of Chult:
Tank: Tyrant’s Terror x3 – Shamanic Grance x1 – Beasts Burden x1 – Overgrown x1 – Lingering Curse x2
DPS: Tyrant’s Terror x3 – Shamanic Grance x1 – Beasts Burden x1 – Overgrown x1 – Lingering Curse x2
Tank: Deathly Defiance x2 – Hardened Bones x1 – Righteous Sacrafice
DPS: Undying Death x3 – Blood Lust
Guardian Fighter Weapons & Gear
If you are new to Neverwinter and need to know how to get better gear and increase your item level, check out our Gearing Up Guide.
The best way to gear up in Neverwinter is by making a lot of Astral Diamonds, check out our newly updated Astral Diamond Guide for mod 14 to learn all the secrets of AD farming.
If you want to plan out your character and see what items are available the Neverwinter Character Simulator is a great tool.
- Tank: Shieldlord’s Raid / Ward Armet (Best in Slot) > Crown of the Undead
- DPS: Shieldlord’s Raid / Ward Armet (Best in Slot) > The Seer’s Sallet > Crown of the Undead
- Tank: Fured Kiuno of the Bear (Best in Slot) > Shieldlord’s Raid / Ward Breastplate > Knotted Garbs
- DPS: Fured Kiuno of the Bear (Best in Slot) > Shieldlord’s Raid / Ward Breastplate > Knotted Garbs
- Tank: Survivors Wraps (Best in Slot) > Shieldlord’s Raid / Ward Gauntlets > Terrored Grips
- DPS: Terrored Grips (Best in Slot) > Shieldlord’s Raid / Ward Gauntlets
- Tank: Heels of Fury (Best in Slot) > Lycan Boots of the Pack
- DPS: Heels of Fury (Best in Slot) > Lycan Boots of the Pack
Primary & Secondary:
- Tank: Exalted Primal Weapons
- DPS: Exalted Primal Weapons
Weapon Artifact Powers
- Tank Primary: Weapon Master’s Strike
- DPS Primary: Weapon Master’s Strike
- Tank Secondary: Enhanced Mark
- DPS Secondary: Shield Warrior’s Wrath
Neck & Waist:
- Tank: Orcus Set
- DPS: Orcus Set
- Tank: Ring of the Shadowstalker +4/+5 (Best in Slot) > Ring of Offensive Action > Masterwork Rings
- DPS: Ring of the Shadowstalker +4/+5 (Best in Slot) > Ring of Offensive Action > Masterwork Rings
Shirt & Pants:
- Upper Primal Paints + Lower Primal Paints
- Primary Artifact: Soul Sight Crystal
- Secondary Artifacts: Shard of Orcus Wand (For Set) – Eye of the Giant – Fragmented Key of Stars – Lantern of Revelation
- Primary Artifact: Wheel of the Elements / Soul Sight Crystal
- Secondary Artifact: Shard of Orcus Wand (For Set) – Eye of the Giant – Fragmented Key of Stars – Lantern of Revelation
Guardian Fighter Enchantments
When getting enchantments, always get the ones with the stats you are lacking in with your gear, boons, etc in mind. For example, if you’ve capped Crit with your gear and boons, don’t get azure enchantments for your offense slots. If you still need to refine your enchantments, see our Refinement Guide for tips on how to farm refinement.
- Tank: Negation Enchantment
- DPS: Nagation / Soulforged Enchantment
- Tank: Vorpal / Feytouched Enchantment
- DPS: Vorpal / Feytouched Enchantment
- Tank: Brutal / Demonic Enchantments
- DPS: Brutal Enchantments
- Tank: Radiant Enchantments
- DPS: Radiant Enchantments
Utility Enchantments: Dragon’s Hoard x2 + QuartmasterX2 + 1 Fey Blessing or Dark Enchantments.
- Tank : Purified Black Ice / Tempered > Frosted Protection Glyph > Blue Dragon Glyph > Green Dragon Glyph
- DPS : Various Marks from Stronghold Vendor > Corrupt Black Ice / Lethal / Piercing > Black / Red Dragon Glyph
Armor Reinforcement Kits:
Generally, pick the armor kits for the stats you are lacking in.
- Tank: Defense Armor Kit > Deflection Armor Kit > Recovery Armor Kit > Power Armor Kit
- DPS: Power Armor Kit > Armor Penetration Armor Kit > Critical Strike Armor Kit
Jewelry Reinforcement Kits:
- Action Point Gain or Stamina Regeneration depending on what you need. This is the case for most classes and builds.
Guardian Fighter Consumables & Buffs
Consider to get VIP for the Power of VIP HP buff if you aren’t already. Also always stand in campfires to get the +1 ability campfire buff.
Get one from each of the rows below:
- Empowered Chain of Scales (Best in Slot) > Adorable Pocket Pet > Tymora’s Lucky Coin
- Wild Storm Elixir
- Squash Soup
Guardian Fighter Companions
The best companions for Guardian Fighters are:
- Tank Summoned Companion: Chultan Tiger
- Tank Active Companions: Air Archon, Earth Archon, Energon, Razorwood
- DPS Summoned Companion: Chultan Tiger
- DPS Active Companions: Air Archon, Earth Archon, Siege Master, Razorwood
For the companion gear from Illusionist’s Gambit, the +4 rings are actually better than the +5 as they have two offensive/defensive enchantment slots and the +5 has an overload slot.
- Gear of the Companion
- Masterwork Rings
- +4/+5 Rings
Companion Runestones: Bonding Runestones
Guardian Fighter Mounts
When choosing a Legendary Mount for the Mount Powers, look for a mount that has both a useful equip and combat power. The best choices for a first legendary mount as a Guardian Fighter are Swift Golden Lion or Swarm.
What other mounts you use is not that important. What is important is to get the right insignia bonuses, and many different mounts can offer the various bonuses. To find out what mount has the bonus you want, check out our Insignia Bonus Guide.
All classes and specs should consider using Wanderer’s Fortune before you have refined all your gear and enchantments, for extra refinement every day.
The Best Guardian Fighter Insignia Bonuses:
- Tank: Survivor’s Blessing – Protector’s Camaraderie – Champion’s Return – Cavalry’s Warning – Shepard’s Devotion – Slayer’s Redemption – Oppressor’s Reprieve – Barbarian’s Revelry
- DPS: Protector’s Camaraderie – Assassin’s Covenant – Calvary’s Warning – Gladiator’s Guile – Artificer’s Persuasion
- Tank: Courage > Evasion > Mastery > Other, depending on what stats you are lacking
- DPS: Dominance > Aggression > Skill > Mastery, depending on what stats you are lacking
Guardian Fighter Mount Powers :
When choosing a mount power it is also smart to choose the stats you are lacking in from other gear.
- Tank: Mount Equip Power: Dominant Force (4000 power) – Rapid Recovery (4000 recovery)
- Tank Mount Combat Power: Aureal Armament (Swift Golden Lion) – Bat Swarm (Swarm)
- DPS : Mount Equip Power : Dominant Force (4000 power) Armor Breaker (4000 armor penetration) Fierce Predator (2000 power 2000 armor penetration) Ruthless Efficiency (4000 crit) Mount Combat Power : Bat Swarm (Swarm)
If you have any questions or suggestions about our Guardian Fighter guide please leave a comment below! More info about the GF class can be found at The Neverwinter Reddit. More builds and further info can also be found at MMOMinds.