Welcome to our Guardian Fighter Guide, updated for Swords of Chult, mod 12b. In this guide, we will give you tips and info on how to play the Guardian Fighter class.
The Guardian Fighter is the typical tank class in Neverwinter. The Guardian Fighter class is suited for players who want to be at the forefront of the battle, being able to absorb huge amounts of damage. Paired with a good cleric, the Guardian Fighter is near unbeatable. The Guardian Fighter is however also capable of dishing out some damage and can be played as DPS as well.
This Guardian Fighter Guide is meant as a general guideline. To get the most out of your character, tailor him or her to your playstyle. The Neverwinter Reddit is a good place to start if you want to learn more about your class. More builds and further info can also be found at MMOMinds.
Guardian Fighter Guide Index
Basic Guardian Fighter Info
Best Races as a Guardian Fighter :
- Dragonborn: +2 to any stats. Dragon Heritage (5% extra healing from spells and abilities). Dragonborn Fury (3% extra power and crit). Great race for DPS spec, good for Tank.
- Human: +2 to any stats. Versatile Defense (3% extra defense). Heroic Effort (3 extra heroic feats). Great race for Tanking.
- Dwarf : +2 Con, +2 Str. Stand your Ground (20% resistance to knock and push). Cast-Iron Stomach (20% resistance to DoTs) Great option for tanking.
- Half-Orc : +2 Dex, +2 Str / +2 Con. Furious Assault (5% more crit severity). Swift Charge (10% increased run speed when you enter combat). Good option for DPS.
- Halfing : +2 Dex, +2 Con. Nimble Reaction (3% extra deflection). Bold (10% control resistance). Decent choice for tanking.
Guardian Fighter Attribute Priority :
- Tank : Constitution > Dexterity > Strenght
- DPS: Strenght > Charisma > Dexterity (The reason for choosing Cha over dex is to gain combat advantage damage. Dex will give you armor penetration, but at end-game that is easy to cap by other means)
Guardian Fighter Stat Priority :
For stats in Neverwinter, aim to hit the hard/soft cap of your primary stat, then secondary and so forth. Try not to waste stats by going over the caps, and instead start gearing towards another stat.
- Tank : Defense (Caps Damage Resistance at 95%) > Deflection (Caps at 100%) > Hit Points > Armor Penetration (Cap Resistance Ignored at 85%) > Power > Recovery > Crit (Caps at 100%)
- DPS : Armor Penetration (Cap Resistance Ignored at 85%) > Power > Crit (Caps at 100%) > Defense (Caps Damage Resistance at 95%) > Recovery > Deflection (Caps at 100%)
Guardian Fighter Gear & Enchantments
If you are new to Neverwinter and need to know how to get better gear and increase your item level, check out our Gearing Up Guide. If you want to plan out your character and see what items are available the Neverwinter Character Simulator is a great tool.
- Tank: Primal Ward Isigqoko (Best in Slot) > Huntsman Ward Helm > Mask of the Voodoo Witch > Titansteel Ward Helm > Pilgrim Ward Kulah Khud > Pioneer Ward Kulah Khud > The Blackthorn
- DPS: Vivified Shieldbearer’s Helm (Best in Slot) > Rex Corona > Jarl’s Gaze > Dragon Loyalist’s Visage > Picaroon’s Tricorne
- Tank: Primal Ward Sesifuba (Best in Slot) > Huntsman Raid Breastplate > Titansteel Raid Breastplate > Pilgrim Raid Jawshan > Martyr’s Plackart > Pioneer Ward Jawshan
- DPS: Primal Ward Sesifuba (Best in Slot) > Rex Amiculum > Huntsman Raid Breastplate > Vivified Shieldbearer’s Raid Breastplate > Executioner’s Black Attire > Pioneer Raid Jawshan
- Tank: Hullsnapper / Bracers of Defense (Best in Slot) > Primal Ward Umdwebo > Huntsman Ward Gauntlets > Titansteel Ward Gauntlets > Vivified Shieldbearer’s Ward Gauntlets > Pilgrim Ward Dastanas > Pioneer Ward Dastanas
- DPS: Primal Ward Umdwebo (Best in Slot) > Huntsman Raid Gauntlets > Vivified Shieldbearer’s Raid Gauntlets > Pilgrim Raid Dastanas > Survivor’s Wraps > Pioneer Raid Dastanas
- Tank: Huntsman Ward Sabatons / Titansteel Ward Sabatons (Best in Slot) > Primal Raid Ibhuzus > Vivified Shieldbearer’s Ward Sabatons > Pilgrim Ward Chakmeh > Spiteful Heels > Pioneer Ward Chakmeh
- DPS: Primal Raid / Ward Ibhuzus (Best in Slot) > Boots of the Alpha > Vivified Shieldbearer’s Raid Sabatons > Pioneer Raid Chakmeh
Primary & Secondary:
- Tank: Titansteel (Best in slot if rest of party is also Masterwork II set) > Shieldbearer’s > Feytouched > Wootz
- DPS: Titansteel (Best in slot if rest of party is also using Masterwork II set) > Shieldbearer’s > Aboleth > Wootz
Neck & Waist:
- Tank: Silverspruce Amulet or Greater Lathander’s Cloak with Silverspruce Sash or Greater Plated Band of Constitution > Valhalla Set > Craigmire Set
- DPS: Orcus Set
- Primal Restoration Ring > Ring of the Goblin Slayer +5 > Greater Ostorian Ring of Dod
Shirt & Pants:
- Shirt & Pants of the Chultan Merchant
- Primary Artifact: Forgehammer of Gond > Sigil of the Guardian > Sigil of the Devoted.
- Secondary Artifacts: Horn of Valhalla / Waters of Elah’zad (if using the sets) – Oghma’s Token of Free Movement – Sigil of the Nine – Tome of Ascendence
- Primary Artifact: Wheel of the Elements / Eye of the Giant
- Secondary Artifact: Shard of Orcus’ Wand (For set bonus) – Fragmented Key of Stars – Sigil of the Great Weapon – Thayan Book of the Dead
Guardian Fighter Enchantments :
When getting enchantments, always get the ones with the stats you are lacking in with your gear, boons, etc in mind. For example, if you’ve capped Crit with your gear and boons, don’t get azure enchantments for your offense slots.
Armor Enchantments :
- Tank: Negation Enchantment
- DPS: Nagation / Soulforged Enchantment
Weapon Enchantments :
- Tank: Frost / Lightning Enchantment
- DPS: Vorpal / Feytouched Enchantment
Offense Enchantments :
- Tank: Cruel Enchantments
- DPS: Brutal Enchantments
Defense Enchantments :
- Tank: Wicked / Cruel Enchantments
- DPS: Draconic / Black Ice / Wicked Enchantments
Utility Enchantments: Dragon’s Hoard x2 + QuartmasterX2 + 1 Fey Blessing / Dark Enchantments.
Overload Enchantments :
- Tank : Purified Black Ice / Tempered > Frosted Protection Glyph > Blue Dragon Glyph > Green Dragon Glyph
- DPS : Various Marks from Stronghold Vendor > Corrupt Black Ice / Lethal / Piercing > Black / Red Dragon Glyph
Armor Reinforcement Kits :
Generally, pick the armor kits for the stats you are lacking in.
- Tank: Defense Armor Kit > Deflection Armor Kit > Recovery Armor Kit > Power Armor Kit
- DPS: Power Armor Kit > Armor Penetration Armor Kit > Critical Strike Armor Kit
Jewelry Reinforcement Kits: Action Point Gain or Stamina Regeneration depending on what you need. This is the case for most classes and builds.
Guardian Fighter Companions & Mounts
The Best Companion for Guardian Fighter :
- Tank: Summoned Companion: Dancing Shield. Active Companions: Bulette Pup, Rust Monster, Energon, Phase Spider
- DPS: Summoned Companion: Con Artist / Sellsword Active Companions: Air Archon, Earth Archon, Siege Master, Erinyes of Belial / Tamed Velociraptor
Companion Gear :
For the companion gear from Illusionist’s Gambit, the +4 rings are actually better than the +5 as they have two offensive/defensive enchantment slots and the +5 has an overload slot.
- Tank: Sturdy Belt/Ring/Neck/Sword Knot of the Companion
- DPS: Heroic Belt/Ring/Neck/Sword Knot of the Companion
Companion Runestones: Bonding Runestones
The Best Guardian Fighter Mounts :
When choosing a Legendary Mount for the Mount Powers, look for a mount that has both a useful equip and combat power. The best choices for a first legendary mount as a Guardian Fighter are Tenser’s Floating Disk > Legendary Carpet of Flying.
What other mounts you use is not that important. What is important is to get the right insignia bonuses, and many different mounts can offer the various bonuses. To find out what mount has the bonus you want, check out our Insignia Bonus Guide.
All classes and specs should consider using Wanderer’s Fortune before you have refined all your gear and enchantments, for extra refinement every day.
The Best Guardian Fighter Insignia Bonuses :
- Tank: Survivor’s Blessing – Protector’s Camaraderie – Champion’s Return – Cavalry’s Warning – Shepard’s Devotion – Slayer’s Redemption – Oppressor’s Reprieve – Barbarian’s Revelry
- DPS: Protector’s Camaraderie – Assassin’s Covenant – Calvary’s Warning – Gladiator’s Guile – Artificer’s Persuasion
Insignia Type :
- Tank: Courage > Evasion > Mastery > Other, depending on what stats you are lacking
- DPS: Dominance > Aggression > Skill > Mastery, depending on what stats you are lacking
Guardian Fighter Mount Powers :
When choosing a mount power it is also smart to choose the stats you are lacking in from other gear.
- Tank: Mount Equip Power: Indestructible (4000 defense) – Untouchable (4000 deflection) – Rapid Recovery (4000 recovery) Mount Combat Power: Aureal Armament (Swift Golden Lion) – Piercing Screech (Armored Griffon) – Tenser’s Transformation (Tenser’s Floating Disk)- Vortex (Carpet of Flying)
- DPS : Mount Equip Power : Dominant Force (4000 power) Armor Breaker (4000 armor penetration) Fierce Predator (2000 power 2000 armor penetration) Ruthless Efficiency (4000 crit) Mount Combat Power : Aureal Armament (Swift Golden Lion) – Tenser’s Transformation (Tenser’s Floating Disk)- Warpainted Tyrannosaurus Rex’em (Warpainted Tyrannosaur)
Guardian Fighter Boons
Elemental Evil :
Tank: Unassailable Tide, Earth’s Renewal, Blazing Resilience, Wall of Wind
DPS: Wave of Force, Earth’s Renewal, Searing Aggression, Gale of Retribution
Tank: Dark Fey Wanderer, Fey Elusiveness, Feywilds Fortitude, Elven Tranquility, Elven Resolve
DPS: Dark Fey Hunter, Fey Precision, Elven Haste, Elven Ferocity, Fey Thistle
Dread Ring :
Tank: Conjurer’s Gambit / Reliquary Keeper’s Strenght, Illusory Regeneration, Illusion Shimmer, Enraged Regrowth, Augmented Thayan Bastion
DPS: Conjurer’s Gambit / Reliquary Keeper’s Strenght, Illusory Regeneration, Forbidden Piercing, Shadowtouch, Rampaging Madness
Icewind Dale :
Tank: Weathering The Storm, Refreshing Chill, Rapid Thaw, Cold Shoulder, Avalanche
DPS: Encroaching Tactics, Refreshing Chill, Sleet Skills, Cool Resolve, Winter’s Bounty
Tank: Primordial Vitality, Primordial Regenesis, Drow Ambush Tactics, Dwarven Stamina, Abyssal Tenacity
DPS: Primordial Might, Primordial Focus, Drow Ambush Tactics, Dwarven Stamina, Abyssal Strikes
Tyranny of Dragons :
Tank: Dragonheart, Dragon’s Shadow, Dragonscale Defense, Dragon’s Greed, Dragon Revival
DPS: Dragon’s Claws, Dragon’s Gaze, Draconic Armorbreaker, Dragon’s Greed, Dragon’s Fury
The Maze Engine :
Tank: Abyssal Regeneration, Demonic Influence, Demonic Endurance, Displace Fate
DPS: Abyssal Siphoning, Demonic Influence, Demonic Swiftness, Baphomet’s Might
Storm King’s Thunder :
Tank: Frosty Demeanor, Hardy Constitution, Chill Determination, Glacial Strength, Frozen Reflection
DPS: Cold Hearted, Hardy Constitution, Icy Wrath, Vengeful Heat, Chill of Winter
The Cloaked Ascendancy :
Tank: Aura of Hope, Healing Heat, Soothing Zephyr, Planar Vitality
DPS: Aura of Hope, Fiery Frenzy, Soothing Zephyr, Aberrant Power
Jungles of Chult :
Tank: Overgrown, Death’s Blessing
DPS: Tyrant’s Terror, Lingering Curse
Guardian Fighter Paragon Paths & Powers
The current best paragon path for Guardian Fighters is Swordmaster, both for tanking and DPS. This is mainly due to the ability Weapon Master’s Strike.
Tank Combat Powers :
At-Wills: Weapon Master Strike & Tide of Iron
Encounter Powers: Into The Fray, Enforced Threat, Knight’s Valor
Daily Powers: Fighters Recovery, Villains Menace
Class Features: Enhanced Mark & Guarded Assault
DPS Combat Powers :
At-Wills: Weapon Master Strike & Crushing Surge
Encounter Powers: Into The Fray, Knights Challenge (Single Target) / Enforced Threat (AoE), Griffon’s Wrath (Single Target) / Line Breaker Assault (AoE)
Daily Powers: Fighters Recovery, Villains Menace
Class Features: Enhanced Mark & Guarded Assault
Swordmaster Tank Feats:
Protector Build :
Swordmaster DPS Feats :
Conqueror Build :
We currently have no viable builds for Iron Vanguard
If you have any questions or suggestions about our Guardian Fighter Guide, please leave a comment below!