This Guide is Currently Being Updated!
Looking for the best ways to make gold in World of Warcraft in 2018? Look no further, this is your definitive wow gold guide! Back in the day there used to be a ton of relevant guides on how to make that sweet sweet gold, but it seems like most guides are no longer up to date with all the various gold making ventures in WoW. This gold guide will be continuously updated with all the best ways to make millions of wow gold.
Making a Gold Making Character
You might be thinking that you don’t need a designated gold making character. I certainly didn’t think so as i used my Paladin for countless hours of gold making (Paladins are one of the slowest classes in the game). But then i decided to try to make a Hunter, and spec him for speed. Boy did that make a different, I run dungeons several times faster than the Paladin, hence making 3 or 4 times more gold per hour. When making a gold farming character, these are the most important points to remember.
- Bagspace: Get the biggest bags you can for your inventory and for your bank.
- Personal Guild: Make a guild for just your character, so that you can use the guild bank for additional storage. The easiest way to do this is to ask in chat, and maybe pay a small fee to get people to sign your charter, then kick them from the guild.
- Bank Alts: If you need even more bag space, consider making an bank alt.
- Movement Speed: Movement speed is often overlooked when farming gold, but it is really important. Especially when farming older content. Most classes can clear any duneon pretty easy but some do it faster. Warriors, Hunter and Druids make for excellent choices for blasting through content fast. I ended up choosing a Worgen Hunter to get Darkflight, Aspect of the Cheetah and Trailblazer. When speccing for speed, look for any talents, gear, abillities and consumables a class has to increase your speed. Below you can see everything that makes my character fast (Currently all legion speed gear, will be updated for BFA.)
- Macros: A few simple macros will also make your farming life easier. For my hunter I mostly use barrage which does damage to all enemies in front of me and when that is on cooldown, I use a macro that target the nearest enemy and uses multishot. This way I can constantly move and kill everything in front of me.
You might be asking yourself “What is the best gold farming class in wow?”. While this is not a straight forward answer I would like to vouch for the hunter although I might be a bit biased. Warriors are also a good choice. But as long as you got plenty of space, can move and kill fast, you should be a-ok.
When it comes to gold making addons, as most of you know, there is one that comes before all the rest, Tradeskill Master. This addon will help you make heaps of gold on the auctions house, and will give you a deeper understanding of your servers economy and the whole WoW economy. Learning how to use it well takes time, so read through all the info on their site and maybe watch some youtube videos on how to set up TSM. TSM will help you appraise items, sell items quickly on the AH and buy items that you can resell for a profit, amongst other things. Additionally the addon will help vendor and managing your mailbox, making this the only addon you need for gold making purposes. We will be coming back to TSM in the Auction house part of the guide.
Trending Gold Making Methods
WoW Gold Farming
Gold farming is the meat and potatoes of gold making, at least in my view. The idea is simple; go out, kill things, take their loot, sell it. In this guide we split farming into three parts, farming raids, dungeons and open world.
A lot of raids and dungeons have been nerfed. Farming old instances used to be a great way to make gold. There are still some you can farm for some transmog and gold, but it won’t make you nearly as much as it used to a few expansions ago.
There are two main ways to make gold farming raids. Either you can do the whole raid for raw gold, or you can farm trash mobs without killing any of the bosses, so that you can reset the raid.
Raw Gold Raid Farming
All raids have been nerfed for when it comes to the amount of raw gold you get. Cataclysm raids used to reward you with thousands of gold per run, but now you only make 1-2k gold per run. Some of these are still decent to run as they also have decent transmog, pets and other loot.
Items that are vendored are calculated into raw gold drops. See section below about trash mob runs for info about everything that goes on the AH.
- Cataclysm Raids: All raids except Throne of the Four Winds drop around 1k – 2k raw gold.
Trash Mob Runs
Maybe the most profitable way to farm raids, is to only farm the trash mobs of parts of the instance, usually the start. After killing the trash, go outside and reset the raid and do it over again. Do not kill any bosses as this will lock the instance and you will have to wait for the weekly reset.
Sunwell Plateau 50.000 Gold Per Hour
Items of interest: Transmog Gear, Recipes
Here there are a lot of mobs in the first area of the raid, with quite good loot. You can also mount up here, so collecting and killing all the mobs is really quick.
Karazhan 50.000 Gold Per Hour
Items of interest: Transmog gear
Farming dungeons is one of the most common ways of gold making in WoW. Transmog drops from low level dungeons have been nerfen so a lot of dungeons are not worth while to farm anymore, so the list below is quite limited.
Auction House / Reselling / Investing
Misc. Gold Making Methods