Welcome to our Control Wizard Guide, updated for the Heart of Fire, Mod 15. In this guide, we will give you tips and info on how to play the Control Wizard class.
The Control Wizard is a CC (Crowd Control) and damage dealing class. They harness arcane energy which they unleash on their victims.
This guide has a single target and support MoF loadout and a SS AoE loadout.
The purpose of our class guides is not just to show you a build that you can copy and use on your character, but to show you a base build and teach you the mechanics and stats of the game, so you can understand and play your class to its fullest capabilities. Try different gear, feats and powers and learn to tailor your own build for your playstyle. See our guide to making your own build for more info.
Control Wizard Guide Index
- Basic Control Wizard Info
- Control Wizard Paragon Paths & Powers
- Control Wizard Boons
- Control Wizard Weapons & Gear
- Control Wizard Enchantments
- Control Wizard Consumables & Buffs
- Control Wizard Companions
- Control Wizard Mounts
Basic Control Wizard Info
Best Races as a Control Wizard
- Tiefling: +2 Int, +2 Cha. Bloodhunt (+5% damage to mobs below 50%). Infernal Wrath (- 5% power debuff).
- Human: +2 to any stats. Versatile Defense (3% extra defense). Heroic Effort (3 extra heroic feats).
Control Wizard Attribute / Ability Score Priority
- Intelligence > Charisma > Wisdom
Control Wizard Rating / Stat Priority
For stats in Neverwinter, aim to hit the hard/soft cap of your primary stat, then secondary and so forth. Try not to waste stats by going over the caps, and instead start gearing towards another stat.
- Armor Penetration (Cap Resistance Ignored at 100%) > Crit (Caps at 100%) > Power > Recovery
Control Wizard Paragon Paths & Powers
Master of Flame
This MoF loadout is a single target and support Renegade / Thaumaturge build.
Master of Flame Combat Powers
At-Wills: Ray of Frost – Scorching Burst
Class Features: Chilling Presence – Swath of Destruction
Daily Powers: Oppressive Force – Ice Knife
Encounter Powers: Icy Terrain – Fanning the Flame – Disintegrate – Ray of Enfeeblement
Master of Flame Feats:
This SS loadout is a AoE Renegade / Thaumaturge build.
Spellstorm Mage Combat Powers
At-Wills: Chilling Cloud – Storm Pillar
Class Features: Evocation – Storm Spell
Daily Powers: Oppressive Force – Ice Knife
Encounter Powers: Conduit of Ice – Icy Terrain – Disitegrate – Steal Time
Spellstorm Mage Feats:
Control Wizard Boons
If you still haven’t gotten all your boons, check out our Campaign Completion Guide, with info on how to complete all of the campaigns as fast as possible for all the boons.
Power – Defense – Mount Speed
Wave of Force – Earth’s Renewal – Searing Aggression – Wall of Wind
Dark Fey Hunter – Fey Precision – Elven Haste – Elven Tranquility – Elvish Fury
Conjurer’s Gambit – Evoker’s Thirst – Forbidden Piercing – Enraged Regrowth – Endless Consumption
Encroaching Tactics – Refreshing Chill – Sleet Skills – Cool Resolve – Winter’s Bounty
Primordial Might – Primordial Focus – Drow Ambush Tactics – Dwarven Stamina – Abyssal Strikes
Tyranny of Dragons:
Dragon’s Claws – Dragon’s Gaze – Draconic Armorbreaker – Dragon’s Greed – Dragon’s Fury x1 – Dragon’s Thirst x2
The Maze Engine:
Abyssal Regeneration – Demonic Influence – Demonic Swiftness – Baphomet’s Might
Storm King’s Thunder:
Frost Demeanor – Hardy Constitution – Chill Determination – Glacial Strength – Chill of Winter
The Cloaked Ascendancy:
Demoralize – Fiery Frency – Soothing Zephyr – Visions of Beyond
Jungles of Chult :
Tyrant’s Terror x3 – Shamanic Grance x1 – Beasts Burden x1 – Overgrown x1 – Lingering Curse x2
(The reason behind having one of each is to max HP gain)
Undying Death x3 – Blood Lust
Critically Acclaimed / Confidence Boost – Severe Critisism
Control Wizard Weapons & Gear
If you are new to Neverwinter and need to know how to get better gear and increase your item level, check out our Gearing Up Guide.
The best way to gear up in Neverwinter is by making a lot of Astral Diamonds, check out our newly updated Astral Diamond Guide for mod 14 to learn all the secrets of AD farming.
If you want to plan out your character and see what items are available the Neverwinter Character Simulator is a great tool.
- Manalord’s Raid Petasos (Best in Slot) > Crown of the Undead / Ras Manca’s Spare Hat > The Seer’s Cap
- Hag’s Rags (Best in Slot) > Knotted Garbs
- Terrored Grips (Best in Slot) > Eyestalk Wrappers
- Enduring Boots (Best in Slot) > Manalord’s Raid Pigaches
Primary & Secondary:
- Exalted +1 Stronghold Weapons
Weapon Artifact Powers
- Primary: Chilling Cloud
- Secondary: Chilling Presence
Neck & Waist:
- Orcus Set
- Ring of the Shadowstalker +4/+5 (Best in Slot) > Ring of Offensive Action > Masterwork Rings
Shirt & Pants:
- Upper Primal Paints + Shimmerweave Pants +1
- Primary Artifact: Decanter of Atropal Essence (AoE) / Soul Sight Artifact (ST)
- Secondary Artifacts: Shard of Orcus’ Wand (For set) – Lantern of Revelation – Fragmented Key of Stars
Control Wizard Enchantments
When getting enchantments, always get the ones with the stats you are lacking in with your gear, boons, etc in mind. For example, if you’ve capped Crit with your gear and boons, don’t get azure enchantments for your offense slots. If you still need to refine your enchantments, see our Refinement Guide for tips on how to farm refinement.
- Barkshield or Negation Enchantment
- Feytouched Enchantment
- Black Ice / Gigantic / Ruthless / Brutal / Azure Enchantments
- Radiant / Savage Enchantments
Dragon’s Hoard x2 + QuartmasterX2 + 1 Fey Blessing or Dark Enchantments.
- Various Marks from Stronghold Vendor > Corrupt Black Ice / Lethal / Piercing > Black / Red Dragon Glyph
Armor Reinforcement Kits:
- Power Armor Kit – Armor Penetration Armor Kit – Critical Strike Armor Kit
Jewelry Reinforcement Kits:
- Action Point Gain Jewel
Control Wizard Consumables & Buffs
Consider to get VIP for the Power of VIP HP buff if you aren’t already. Also always stand in campfires to get the +1 ability campfire buff.
Get one from each of the rows below:
- Empowered Chain of Scales (Best in Slot) > Adorable Pocket Pet > Tymora’s Lucky Coin
- Wild Storm Elixir > Elixir of Fate
- Squash Soup > Watermelot Sorbet
Control Wizard Companions
The best companions for Control Wizard are:
- Summoned Companion: Chultan Tiger – Sellsword / Con Artist
- Active Companions: Air Archon – Earth Archon – Siege Master – Razorwood
For the companion gear from Illusionist’s Gambit, the +4 rings are actually better than the +5 as they have two offensive/defensive enchantment slots and the +5 has an overload slot.
- Bold/Heroic Gear of the Companion
- Masterwork Rings
- +4/+5 Rings
Companion Runestones: Bonding Runestones
Companion Enchantments: Black Ice Enchantments
Control Wizard Mounts
When choosing a Legendary Mount for the Mount Powers, look for a mount that has both a useful equip and combat power. The best choices for a first legendary mount as a Control Wizard is a Coastal Flail Snail or Swarm.
What other mounts you use is not that important. What is important is to get the right insignia bonuses, and many different mounts can offer the various bonuses. To find out what mount has the bonus you want, check out our Insignia Bonus Guide.
All classes and specs should consider using Wanderer’s Fortune before you have refined all your gear and enchantments, for extra refinement every day.
The Best Control Wizard Insignia Bonuses:
- Shepherd’s Devotion – Protector’s Camaraderie – Artificer’s Persuasion – Gladiators Guile – Combatant’s Maneuver
- Dominance – Prosperity – Skill
Control Wizard Mount Powers:
- Mount Equip Power: Quick Action (Coastal Flail Snail)
- Mount Combat Power: Bat Swarm (Swarm)
If you have any questions or suggestions about our Control Wizard Guide, please leave a comment below! More info about the CW class can be found at The Neverwinter Reddit. More builds and further info can also be found at MMOMinds.