Welcome to our Great Weapon Fighter Guide, updated for the Heart of Fire, mod 15. In this guide, we will give you tips and info on how to play the Great Weapon Fighter class.
The Great Weapon Fighter is a typical melee DPS class. They rely on strength to deliver huge blows to their enemies with their two-handed weapons. They can hold aggro very well and has decent defense capabilities, but can be very gear dependant. Great Weapon fighter are also some of the fastest and best soloers in the game, as well as being sought after in groups.
The purpose of our class guides is not just to show you a build that you can copy and use on your character, but to show you a base build and teach you the mechanics and stats of the game, so you can understand and play your class to its fullest capabilities. Try different gear, feats and powers and learn to tailor your own build for your playstyle. See our guide to making your own build for more info.
Great Weapon Fighter Guide Index
- Basic Great Weapon Fighter Info
- Great Weapon Fighter Paragon Paths & Powers
- Great Weapon Fighter Boons
- Great Weapon Fighter Weapons & Gear
- Great Weapon Fighter Enchantments
- Great Weapon Fighter Consumables & Buffs
- Great Weapon Fighter Companions
- Great Weapon Fighter Mounts
Basic Great Weapon Fighter Info
Best Races as a Great Weapon Fighter
- Dragonborn: +2 to any stats. Dragon Heritage (5% extra healing from spells and abilities). Dragonborn Fury (3% extra power and crit).
- Half-Orc : +2 Dex, +2 Str / +2 Con. Furious Assault (5% more crit severity). Swift Charge (10% increased run speed when you enter combat).
Great Weapon Fighter Attribute / Ability Score Priority
- Strenght > Dexterity
- When you reach 100% crit you can switch out Dex for Cha to maximise DPS
Great Weapon Fighter Rating / Stat Priority
For stats in Neverwinter, aim to hit the hard/soft cap of your primary stat, then secondary and so forth. Try not to waste stats by going over the caps, and instead start gearing towards another stat.
- Armor Penetration (Cap Resistance Ignored at 100%) > Crit (Caps at 100%) > Power > Hit Points > Recovery
Great Weapon Fighter Paragon Paths & Powers
Swordmaster is the current recommended paragon path for Great Weapon Fighters.
Swordmaster Combat Powers :
At-Wills: Sure Strike – Weapon Master Strike
Class Features: Destroyer – Wrathful Determination
Daily Powers: Slam – Crescendo
Encounter: Hidden Daggers – Daring Shout – Battle Fury / Indomitable Battle Strike
Iron Vanguard Combat Powers :
At-Wills: Wicked Strike & Threatening Rush
Class Features: Ferocious Reaction & Warrior’s Courage
Daily Powers: Slam & Spinning Strike
Encounter Powers: Daring Shout, Battle Fury, Restoring Strike, Come and Get It
Iron Vanguard Feats:
Great Weapon Fighter Boons
If you still haven’t gotten all your boons, check out our Campaign Completion Guide, with info on how to complete all of the campaigns as fast as possible for all the boons.
Power – Defense – Mount Speed
Wave of Force – Heart of Stone – Searing Aggression – Wall of Wind
Dark Fey Hunter – Fey Precision – Elven Haste – Elven Ferocity – Elvish Fury
Reliquary Keeper’s Strenght – Evoker’s Thirst – Forbidden Piercing – Shadowtouch – Rampaging Madness
Encroaching Tactics – Refreshing Chill – Sleet Skills – Cool Resolve – Winter’s Bounty
Primordial Might – Primordial Focus – Drow Ambush Tactics – Dwarven Stamina – Abyssal Strikes
Tyranny of Dragons:
Dragon’s Claws – Dragon’s Gaze – Draconic Armorbreaker – Dragon’s Greed – Dragon’s Fury
The Maze Engine:
Abyssal Siphoning – Demonic Endurance – Demonic Swiftness – Baphomet’s Might
Storm King’s Thunder:
Frosty Demeanor – Hardy Constitution – Icy Wrath – Vengeful Heat – Chill of Winter
The Cloaked Ascendancy:
Aura of Hope – Fiery Frency – Fey Brias – Vision of Beyond
Jungles of Chult:
Tyrant’s Terror x3 – Shamanic Grance x1 – Beasts Burden x1 – Overgrown x1 – Lingering Curse x2
(The reason behind having one of each is to max HP gain)
Undying Death x3 – Blood Lust
Confidence Boost / Critically Acclaimed – Severe Criticism
Great Weapon Fighter Weapons & Gear
If you are new to Neverwinter and need to know how to get better gear and increase your item level, check out our Gearing Up Guide.
The best way to gear up in Neverwinter is by making a lot of Astral Diamonds, check out our newly updated Astral Diamond Guide for mod 14 to learn all the secrets of AD farming.
If you want to plan out your character and see what items are available the Neverwinter Character Simulator is a great tool.
- Gallant Assault Sallet (Best in Slot) > Bladelord’s Assault Helm > Crown of the Undead
- Fured Kiuno of the Bear > Bladelord’s Raid / Assault Breastplate > Knotted Garbs
- Fearbringers (Best in Slot) > Terrored Grips > Bladelord’s Raid / Assault Gauntlets
- Heels of Fury (Best in Slot) > Lycan Boots of the Pack
Primary & Secondary:
- Exalted +1 Stronghold Weapons > Exalted Primal Weapons
Weapon Artifact Powers
- Primary: Weapon Master’s Strike / Sure Strike
- Secondary: Destroyed / Wrathful Determination
Neck & Waist:
- Orcus Set (Demogorgon’s Girdle of Might, Baphomet’s Infernal Talisman)
- Ring of the Shadowstalker +4/+5 (Best in Slot) > Ring of Offensive Action > Masterwork Rings
Shirt & Pants:
- Upper Primal Paints + Adamantine Chausses +1
- Primary Artifact: Wheel of Elements / Soul Sight Crystal
- Secondary Artifacts: Shard of Orcus’ Wand (For Set) – Lantern of Revelation – Fragmented Key of Stars
Great Weapon Fighter Enchantments
When getting enchantments, always get the ones with the stats you are lacking in with your gear, boons, etc in mind. For example, if you’ve capped Crit with your gear and boons, don’t get azure enchantments for your offense slots. If you still need to refine your enchantments, see our Refinement Guide for tips on how to farm refinement.
- Negation Enchantment / Barkshield
- Prominence Enchantment
- Brutal / Black Ice / Radiant Enchantments
- Radiant / Savage Enchantments
Dragon’s Hoard x2 + Quartmaster x2 + 1 Fey Blessing or Dark Enchantments.
- Various Marks from Stronghold Vendor > Corrupt Black Ice / Lethal / Piercing > Black / Red Dragon Glyph
Armor Reinforcement Kits:
- Power Armor Kit – Armor Penetration Armor Kit – Critical Strike Armor Kit
Jewelry Reinforcement Kits:
- Action Point Gain Jewel
Great Weapon Fighter Consumables & Buffs
Consider to get VIP for the Power of VIP HP buff if you aren’t already. Also always stand in campfires to get the +1 ability campfire buff.
Get one from each of the rows below:
- Empowered Chain of Scales (Best in Slot) > Adorable Pocket Pet > Tymora’s Lucky Coin
- Wild Storm Elixir
- Squash Soup
Great Weapon Fighter Companions
The best companions for Great Weapon Fighters are:
- Summoned Companion: Chultan Tiger
- Active Companions: Air Archon – Fire Archon – Earth Archon – Razorwood / Siege Master
For the companion gear from Illusionist’s Gambit, the +4 rings are actually better than the +5 as they have two offensive/defensive enchantment slots and the +5 has an overload slot.
- Bold/Heroic Gear of the Companion
- Masterwork Rings
- +4/+5 Rings
Companion Runestones: Bonding Runestones
Companion Enchantments: Brutal / Black Ice Enchantments
Great Weapon Fighter Mounts
When choosing a Legendary Mount for the Mount Powers, look for a mount that has both a useful equip and combat power. The best choices for a first legendary mount as a Great Weapon Fighter is a Swarm.
What other mounts you use is not that important. What is important is to get the right insignia bonuses, and many different mounts can offer the various bonuses. To find out what mount has the bonus you want, check out our Insignia Bonus Guide.
All classes and specs should consider using Wanderer’s Fortune before you have refined all your gear and enchantments, for extra refinement every day.
The Best Great Weapon Fighter Insignia Bonuses:
- Sheperd’s Devotion – Protector’s Camaraderie – Artificer’s Persuasion – Combatant’s Maneuver – Cavalry’s Warning
- Dominance – Skill – Brutal
Great Weapon Fighter Mount Powers:
- Mount Equip Power: Dominant Force (4000 power) > Any Power, Crit or Armor Pen you might have.
- Mount Combat Power: Bat Swarm (Swarm).
If you have any questions or suggestions about our Great Weapon Fighter, please leave a comment below! More info about the GWF class can be found at The Neverwinter Reddit. More builds and further info can also be found at MMOMinds.