Welcome to our Control Wizard Guide, updated for Ravenloft, Mod 14. In this guide, we will give you tips and info on how to play the Control Wizard class.
The Control Wizard is a CC (Crowd Control) and damage dealing class. They harness arcane energy which they unleash on their victims.
This Control Wizard Guide guide is meant as a general guideline. To get the most out of your character, tailor him or her to your playstyle. The Neverwinter Reddit is a good place to start if you want to learn more about your class. More builds and further info can also be found at MMOMinds.
Control Wizard Guide Index
- Basic Control Wizard Info
- Control Wizard Gear & Enchantments
- Control Wizard Companions & Mounts
- Control Wizard Boons
- Control Wizard Paragon Paths & Powers
Basic Control Wizard Info
Best Races as a Control Wizard :
- Tiefling: +2 Int, +2 Cha. Bloodhunt (+5% damage to mobs below 50%) Infernal Wrath (- 5% power debuff)
- Human: +2 to any stats. Versatile Defense (3% extra defense). Heroic Effort (3 extra heroic feats).
Control Wizard Attribute Priority :
- Intelligence > Charisma > Wisdom
Control Wizard Stat Priority :
For stats in Neverwinter, aim to hit the hard/soft cap of your primary stat, then secondary and so forth. Try not to waste stats by going over the caps, and instead start gearing towards another stat.
- Armor Penetration (Cap Resistance Ignored at 100%) > Crit (Caps at 100%) > Power
Control Wizard Gear & Enchantments
If you are new to Neverwinter and need to know how to get better gear and increase your item level, check out our Gearing Up Guide. If you want to plan out your character and see what items are available the Neverwinter Character Simulator is a great tool.
- Manalord’s Raid Petasos (Best in Slot) > Cowl of the Undead > The Seer’s Cap
- Hag’s Rags (Best in Slot) > Knotted Garbs
- Terrored Grips (Best in Slot) > Eyestalk Wrappers
- Heels of Fury (Best in Slot) > Manalord’s Raid Pigaches
Primary & Secondary:
- Primal Weapons
Neck & Waist:
- Company Raider Neck & Greater Owlbear Leather Belt of Intelligence – Sphene Amulet & Rubellite Sash
- +5 Rings > Beaded Assault Ring – Bronzewood Raid Ring
Shirt & Pants:
- Upper Primal Paints + Lower Primal Paints
- Primary Artifact: Wheel of Elements / Soul Sight Artifact
- Secondary Artifacts: Thayan Book of the Dead – Lantern of Revelation – Sigil of the Controller
Control Wizard Enchantments :
When getting enchantments, always get the ones with the stats you are lacking in with your gear, boons, etc in mind. For example, if you’ve capped Crit with your gear and boons, don’t get azure enchantments for your offense slots.
Armor Enchantments :
- Negation Enchantment
Weapon Enchantments :
- Lightning Enchantment
Offense Enchantments :
- Brutal / Azure Enchantments
Defense Enchantments :
- Azure / Dark Enchantments
Utility Enchantments: Dragon’s Hoard x2 + QuartmasterX2 + 1 Fey Blessing / Dark Enchantments.
Overload Enchantments :
- Various Marks from Stronghold Vendor > Corrupt Black Ice / Lethal / Piercing > Black / Red Dragon Glyph
Armor Reinforcement Kits :
- Power Armor Kit – Armor Penetration Armor Kit – Critical Strike Armor Kit
Jewelry Reinforcement Kits: Action Point Gain Jewel
Control Wizard Companions & Mounts
The Best Companion for Control Wizard:
- Summoned Companion: Chultan Tiger > Sellsword. Active Companions: Air Archon, Fire Archon, Siege Master, Erinyes of Belial / Tamed Velociraptor (if rest of party is using one)
For the companion gear from Illusionist’s Gambit, the +4 rings are actually better than the +5 as they have two offensive/defensive enchantment slots and the +5 has an overload slot.
- Bold/Heroic Gear of the Companion
Companion Runestones: Bonding Runestones
The Best Control Wizard Mounts:
When choosing a Legendary Mount for the Mount Powers, look for a mount that has both a useful equip and combat power. The best choices for a first legendary mount as a Control Wizard is a Warpainted / Commander Tyrannosaur
What other mounts you use is not that important. What is important is to get the right insignia bonuses, and many different mounts can offer the various bonuses. To find out what mount has the bonus you want, check out our Insignia Bonus Guide.
All classes and specs should consider using Wanderer’s Fortune before you have refined all your gear and enchantments, for extra refinement every day.
The Best Control Wizard Insignia Bonuses :
- Assassin’s Covenant – Protector’s Camaraderie – Artificer’s Persuasion – Gladiators Guile – Magistrate’s Patience
Insignia Type :
- Dominance – Prosperity – Skill
Control Wizard Mount Powers :
- Mount Equip Power: Dominant Force (4000 power) – Fierce Predator (2000 Power + 2000 Armor Pen) Mount Combat Power: Commander / Warpainted Tyrannosaurus Rex’em
Control Wizard Boons
Elemental Evil :
Wave of Force, Heart of Stone, Searing Aggression, Gale of Retribution
Dark Fey Hunter, Fey Precision, Elven Haste, Elven Ferocity, Elvish Fury
Dread Ring :
Reliquary Keeper’s Strenght, Evoker’s Thirst, Forbidden Piercing, Shadowtouch, Rampaging Madness
Icewind Dale :
Encroaching Tactics, Refreshing Chill, Sleet Skills, Cool Resolve, Avalanche
Primordial Might, Primordial Focus, Drow Ambush Tactics, Dwarven Footing, Abyssal Strikes
Tyranny of Dragons :
Dragon’s Claws, Dragon’s Gaze, Draconic Armorbreaker, Dragon’s Greed, Dragon’s Fury x2, Dragon’s Thirst x1
The Maze Engine :
Abyssal Siphoning, Demonic Resilience, Demonic Swiftness, Baphomet’s Might
Storm King’s Thunder :
Cold Hearted, Survival Instincts, Icy Wrath, Vengeful Heat, Chill of Winter
The Cloaked Ascendancy :
Aura of Hope, Fiery Frency, Fey Brias, Aberrant Power
Jungles of Chult :
3x Tyrant’s Terror, x1 Shamanic Grance, 1x Beasts Burden, 1x Overgrown, 2x Lingering Curse
Hardened Bones, Blood Lust
Control Wizard Paragon Paths & Powers
Spellstorm Mage is the current recommended paragon path for Control Wizard.
Spellstorm Mage Combat Powers
At-Wills: Magic Missile – Chilling Cloud
Class Features: Chilling Presence & Storm Spell
Daily Powers: Oppressive Force & Ice Knife
Encounter Powers: Icy Terrain / Sudden Storm / Steal Time / Conduit of Ice
Spellstorm Mage Feats:
Master of Flame
Master of Flame Combat Powers
At-Wills: Chilling Cloud & Magic Missile
Class Features: Chilling Presence & Swath of Destruction
Daily Powers: Oppressive Force & Furious Immolation
Encounter Powers: Icy Terrain / Fanning the Flame / Conduit of Ice / Steal Time
Master of Flame Feats:
If you have any questions or suggestions about our Control Wizard Guide, please leave a comment below!