Welcome to our Barbarian Sentinel Guide, updated for Mod 24: Northdark Reaches.
For the latest Neverwinter news, go to the MMORPG.GG Neverwinter Hub.
The Barbarian Sentinel is a tank class in Neverwinter. They use huge two-handed swords to deliver blows Are you looking to tank in Neverwinter as a Sentinel? Look no further! In this guide, we will teach you how to play this powerful class and become a master of tanking.
Barbarian Sentinels are incredibly durable and can easily hold their ground against hordes of enemies. With the right tactics, you can make your Barbarian Sentinel the backbone of your party and ensure that your group’s survivability is never in doubt.
The purpose of our class guides is not just to show you a build that you can copy and use on your character, but to show you a base build and teach you the mechanics and stats of the game, so you can understand and play your class to its fullest capabilities.
Try different gear, feats, and powers, and learn to tailor your own build for your playstyle. See our guide to making your own build for more info.
- Basic Sentinel Info
- Paragon Path Feats, Powers & Rotation
- Weapons & Gear
- Consumables & Buffs
Basic Barbarian Sentinel Info
Below is all the basic information for the Sentinel, from race choices to stats.
Other Barbarian Builds
This build uses much of the same gear as the Barbarian Sentinel Tank Build, so you can easily switch between the two roles in different Loadouts.
Best Sentinel Races
What race you play doesn’t play a huge role, but will give you a small boost. Generally, I would advise you to play a race that you enjoy.
- Aasimar – 2% Power, Outcoming & Icoming Healing, Defense and Max Hit Points – +2 to any two stats – 2% max hit points to party members
- Dwarf – 20% Resistance to Knock and Push – +2 Con and Str or Wis – 5% Defense bonus
- Human – 1% Bonus to all stats – +3 To any Ability Score
- Halfling – 5% Deflect – +2 Dex and +2 Cha or Con – 10% Bonus to Control Resistance
- Drow – Darkfire – +2 Dex and +2 Cha or Wis – 5% Deflect Severity
- Metallic Ancestry Dragonborn – Recieve 5% more healing – +2 to Any two Ability Score – 3% Critical Strike – 3% Power
- Dragonborn – Recieve 5% more healing – +2 to Any Ability Score – 3% Critical Strike – 3% Power
- Tiefling – 5% + Damage to targets below 50% health – +2 Cha and +2 Con or Int – 10% to reduce damage of target for 5 sec by 2.5%
Sentinel Ability Score Priority
Put all your available Ability Scores into Strength and Constitution.
Sentinel Stat / Rating Priority
The Combat Rework introduced major changes to how stats and item level work, for more info see the official post.
Your cap for each stat is based on your item level. To cap a stat, the numbers of the stat need to be equal to or higher than your item level.
If your stat number is higher than your item level, you are wasting stats and should try to allocate stats differently.
For every 1000 points, a stat is lower than your item level you lose 1% in that stat.
You won’t be able to cap all stats, but capping your power is quite easy.
As a tank your main focus should be on Defensive stats.
- Power (90%)
- Critical Strike (90%)
- Critical Severity (90%)
- Combat Advantage (90%)
- Accuracy (90%)
- Defense (90%)
- Deflection (90%)
- Critical Avoidance (90%)
- Awareness (90%)
- Health (90%)
Barbarian Sentinel Paragon Path Feats, Powers & Rotation
This part is all about optimizing the Sentinel with the best feats, powers, and boons.
Barbarian Sentinel Combat Powers
- Sentinel’s Slash
- Challenger’s Slash
- Punishing Charge (ST) – Not So Fast (AoE)
- Come and Get It
- Takedown (ST) – Primal Fury
- Savage Advance
- Battle High
- Challenger’s Charge
- Threatening Presence
Barbarian Sentinel Feats
- Frustrating Slash
- Indomitable Might
- Disarming Takedown / On the Move
- Savage Advance
- Rage and Rally (ST) / Blood Fury (AoE)
Barbarian Sentinel Rotation
As a Barbarian Sentinel, your primary goal is to keep enemies focused on you while your allies deal damage from behind cover. This can be accomplished through various means, including taunting enemies, using your damage reduction abilities, and positioning yourself in the front of the group.
Barbarian Sentinel Boons
You should always choose boons based on what stats you currently need. Therefore a selection of several viable boons is available to you for each tier.
Tier 1 Boons
- Recruit’s Training – 0.2% Power Per Rank
- Critical Strike – 0.2% Critical Strike Per Rank
- Critical Avoidance – 0.2% Critical Avoidance Per Rank
- Cultist Bulwark – 0.2% HP Per Rank
- Cultist Power – 1% Increased damage and damage resistance vs. Cultists.
Tier 2 Boons
- Squire’s Training – 0.2% Power Per Rank
- Armor Penetration – 0.2% Critical Severity Per Rank
- Defense – 0.2% Defense Per Rank
- Demonic Bulwark – 0.2% HP Per Rank
- Demonic Mastery – 1% Increased damage and damage resistance vs. demons.
Tier 3 Boons
- Knight’s Training – 0.2% Power Per Rank
- Combat Advantage – 0.2% Combat Advantage Per Rank
- Awareness – 0.2% Awareness Per Rank
- Dino Bulwark – 0.2 HP Per Rank
- Dino Power – 1% Increased damage and damage resistance vs. dinos.
Tier 4 Boons
- Disenchanting Aura – 0.2% Control Resistance
- Captain’s Training – 0.2% Power Per Rank
- Accuracy – 0.2% Accuracy Per Rank
- Deflect – 0.2% Deflect Per Rank
- Necrotic Bulwark – 0.2% HP Per Rank
- Necrotic Mastery – 1% Increased damage and damage resistance vs. undead.
Tier 5 Boons (Choose 2)
- Severe Criticism – 1% Crit Severity per rank
- Welcome Blessing – 1% Incoming Healing Per Rank
- Call of Power – 1% Action Point gain per rank
- Quick Turnaround – 1% Recovery Speed per rank.
- Second Wind – 1% Stamina Regen
- Focused Retaliation 3/3
- Offense – Power or Critical Strike Bonus
- Defense – Defence or Hit Point Bonus or Incoming Healing
Barbarian Sentinel Weapons & Gear
If you are new to Neverwinter and need to know how to get better gear and increase your item level, check out our Gearing Up Guide.
Note that the best in slot for your build might vary depending on what stats you have.
The best way to gear up in Neverwinter is by making a lot of Astral Diamonds, check out our Astral Diamond Guide to learn all the secrets of AD farming.
- The Dark Maiden’s Ward Helm
- Rugged Sallet of the Dragon Hunter
- Turban of Shifting Sands
- Rugged Mail of the Dragon Hunter
- Blessed Bone Devil’s Ribcage (Avernus Hunts)
- Forest Guardian’s Ward/Raid Scalemail (Vault of Stars)
- Rugged Gauntles of the Dragon Hunter
- Superior Crushers of the Dragon Hunter
- Arms of the Last Resistance
- Midnight’s Grips
- Crag Scaler’s Gauntlets
- Dragonsteel Greaves / Sabatons
- Rugged Sabatons of the Dragon Hunter
- Blessed Wisps of the Shadow Demon
- Slips of the Rain
- Masterwork Set
- Lionheart Set
- Scalebreaker’s Wrath
- Grand Alliance Set
Main Hand Modification:
- Challenger’s Slash
- Forte & whatever stat you need
- Stalwartneedle Ring of Celerity
- Stalwartneedle Ring of Bulwark
- The Living Silver Fern
- Waywatchers Ring of Precision
- Ring of the Overwhelmed +5
- Ring of the Condemned +5
Neck & Waist
- Vanguard’s Alacrity: Dragonscale Neckguard, Dragonscale Girdle, Blue Dragon’s Mark
- Tiamat’s Prized Possesions: Tiamat’s Golden Necklace, Tiamat’s Golden Sash, Tiamat’s Arcane Globe
- Diamond Set (Scintilating Diamond Buckle, Iridescent Diamond Pendat, Refulgent Diamond Pin)
- Reflective Armaments (Reflective Collar, Mirror-Plated Belt, Erratic Drift Globe)
- Rugged Dwarven Body Pattern
- Shirt of the Dragon Cult
- Vale Tunic
- Upper Pact Brands (Avernus Hunts)
- Rugged Dwarven Limb Pattern
- War-Worn Pants
- Lower Pact Brands (Avernus Hunts)
Barbarian Sentinel Artifacts
- Forgehammer of Gond
- Envenomed Storyteller’s Journal
- Wyvern-Vendom Coated Knives
Choose secondary artifacts based on the stats you are lacking.
- Blue Dragon’s Mark
- Mythallar Fragment
- Neverwinter’s Standard
- Jewel of the North
- Demogorgon’s Reach
Or choose 3 Storyteller’s Journals for the bonus
- Frozen Storyteller’s Journal
- Flayed Storyteller’s Journal
- Darkened Storyteller’s Journal
- Envenomed Storyteller’s Journal
Other Artifact Choices
- Lantern of Revelation
- Arcturia’s Music Box
- Trobriands Ring
- Staff of Flowers
- Halaster’s Blast Scepter
- Shard of Orcus’ Wand
Barbarian Sentinel Enchantments
When getting enchantments, always get the ones with the stats you are lacking in with your gear, boons, etc in mind.
If you still need to refine your enchantments, see our Refinement Guide for tips on how to farm refinement.
- Garnet Enchantment
- Cobalt Enchantment
- Citrine Enchantment
- Amethyst Enchantment
- Jade Enchantment
- Garnet Enchantment
- Cobalt Enchantment
- Garnet Enchantment
- Recharge Bonus
- Fortified Nature
- Unholy Protection
- Resiliency of the Depths / Bulwark Of Brimstone from Hell Pit
- Various Marks from Stronghold Vendor
- Corrupt Black Ice / Lethal / Piercing
- Black / Red Dragon Glyph
Armor Reinforcement Kits
- Any stat you might need
Jewelry Reinforcement Kits
- Combat Awareness Jewel
Barbarian Sentinel Consumables & Buffs
Consider getting VIP for the Power of VIP HP buff if you aren’t already. Also always stand in campfires to get the +1 ability campfire buff.
Pick one from each of the categories below depending on the stats you are lacking.
Invocation Blessing: Grace of Battle / Gift of Awareness / Righteous Boon / Gamber’s Fortune
Stronghold Food: Seared Tuna / Prime Rib / Ratatouille
Event Food: Caprese
Elixir: Foehammer’s Favor Elixir
Potion: Crafted Potion of Deflect
Reusable Item: Awakened Forger’s Box > Empowered Chain of Scales > Adorable Pocket Pet > Tymora’s Lucky Coin
Barbarian Sentinel Companions
For your summoned companion you have the choice between using Augmented companions which will make it easier to cap stats or an active combat companion which will do damage.
Augment Companion Choices
This is just a selection of augment companions. Use one that has the stats you need.
- Bulette Pup
- Deepcrow Hatchling
- Owlbear Cub
- Ioun Stones
Active Companion Choices
- Stalwart Golden Lion
- Drizzt Do’Urden
- Honey Badger
- Tomb Spider
- Spined Devil
- Wayward Wizard (AoE)
- Regis (AoE)
- Potent Precision
Below is a selection of viable companion powers.
- Golden Deep Crow’s Presence – 7.5% Awareness
- Rimefire Golem’s Presence – 15000 HP and 3.8% Critical Severity
- Neverwinter Knight (Neverwinter Knight’s Discipline) – 7.5% Outgoing Damage
- Bruenor – 4.7% Awareness and Defense
- Myconoid – 3.8% Critical Avoidance and Awareness
- Harper bard – 15000 HP and 3.8% Awareness
- Red Dragon Ioun Stone – 3.8% Incoming Healing and 15000 HP
- Moonshea Druid’s Wisdom – 15.000 HP and 3.8% Critical Avoidance
- Iron Golem’s Presence – 15.000 HP and 3.8% Defense
- Minstrel – 3.8% Power and 3.8% Awareness
- Green Slime – 7.5% Defense
- Regis – 4.7% Defect Chance and Severity
- Lich – 7.5% Reduced Incoming Damage
- Watler – 7.5% Deflect
- Xegyi’s Insight – 30000 Hit Points
- Energon – 30000 Hit Points
Double offense slotted “Of the Companion” gear
- Companion Enchantment
Barbarian Sentinel Mounts
When it comes to mounts, you should focus on getting them all to Mythic quality to increase Bolster.
Bolster Contribution depends on the quality of the mount, with Mythic mounts contributing 10% Bolster, this again increases the values of your Equip Power and Combat Power.
Mount Insignia Bonuses
All classes and specs should consider using Wanderer’s Fortune and or Traveler’s Treasures before you have refined all your gear and enchantments, for extra refinement every day.
Insignia bonuses are mostly down to preference. Some boost damage a bit, and some boost survivability, while others add utility.
As a tank, the self-healing bonuses are the most valued.
- Warlord’s Inspiration
- Artificers Persuasion
- Assassin’s Covenant
- Calvary’s Warning
- Gladiator’s Guile
- Barbarian’s Revelry
- Survivor’s Blessing
- Survivor’s Gift
- Knight’s Rebuke
- Oppressor’s Reprieve
- Wanderer’s Fortune
- Traveler’s Treasures
- Sturdy Barbed Collar
- Wayfaring Barbed Collar
- Unified Regal Collar
Barbarian Sentinel Mount Powers
Mount Equip Power:
- Any defense stat power
Mount Combat Power:
- Magnificient Inspiration (Pegasus)
- Piercing Screech (Armored Griffon)
If you have any questions or suggestions about our Neverwinter Barbarian Sentinel guide, please leave a comment below!
More info about the Barbarian class can be found in the Barbarians of Neverwinter Facebook group.
Wednesday 30th of March 2022
Personaly I would not use the helemets you are using, due to they are kinda useless, things like chitter fangs and main of the manticor are better in my testing. And another thing is if you are not having trouble with agro go with mighty vital, for the more hp and I do not advise with Golden Deep Crow’s Presence – 7.5% Awareness Rimefire Golem’s Presence – 15000 HP and 3.8% Critical Severity Neverwinter Knight Regis – 4.7% Defect Chance and Severity Lich – 7.5% Reduced Incoming Damage.
Same thing with the single 7.5% companions because of the new defence enchating, it gives you awearness, def, and damage negation i think. it gives 10% to each and heals you after, and it has no cooldown after that so it begains stacking again. Being a tank also means things like crit, crit sev, accurancy are useless so the only things that increase your damage are power and CA.
As a 78k barb tank main, Name is Brother Blue in game feel free to pm when im on, I do know that some of your items or tips may be off but they are usable but not logical. As a barb tank I highly or it is needed a manticor mains bight head piece or ring, with that amount of AP you get from animation cancling you can get your daily up ever 15 secs or so when you get good at it, plus with the barbs lack of damage and easy hard taunts, you need to find other ways to do so. The hardest part of the fight is the begining so having that extra 200k damage for most people (700k for me since I have 1.5mil hpp) is a nice wiggle room for things like IBS or primal fury. And here is a tip, Do not use primal fury without taking damage to your shield, if you do. You only get 150 magitude damage, you need to talk at least 75% of your shield to get that full 750. What I recomend is getting about 70% rage then going into battle fury, do sentantly slash primal furry, IBS when ever its on cool down and Punishing charge for when you lose agro, DO NOT use com and get it, USe it only in aoe, because come and get it does no damage, while punishing charge does 500 i think.
This is my expirents as a barb tank with 1k hours playing as it.
My discord is Nemisis#3340 on discord, PM me on it and I can give you more tips or builds on it/gear/powers/ or rotations:)
Saturday 28th of November 2020
All of the Neverwinter guides on this site are horrible. They are basically a copy/paste of each other with a few changes. Often times with mistakes or oversights. Furthermore, they don't offer any pointers or information about what any of the stats do or how they will help each "build" they are making a "guide" for. It's like someone was assigned the task write guides for Neverwinter and they just needed to get them done ASAP in a passing fashion to get their paycheck.
Daneril @ MmorpgTips
Sunday 29th of November 2020
I'm sorry you feel this way. All our guides on this site are meant to be very basic so you can quickly look up BiS gear or skills. There are other guides out there that are more in depth but from experience we have learned that the average player isn't interested in these types of guides and want simpler guides. The reason they look copy/pasted is that bis for all DPS is mostly the same. We appreciate your feedback though and we take all feedback into account when updating our guides!
Monday 21st of October 2019
The Elven Battle armor is actually really good. I haven't heard of other classes having trouble with their stam regen for their shield, but without it the barbs stam/shield builds up way too slow.
Friday 9th of August 2019
Your armor and weapon enchantment choices made me laugh..you cant be serious!!!! For a tank?????
Monday 5th of August 2019
Your boon choices don't make sense, you need to use 10 points to advance to the next tier, but strait up on tier 1 you only have 4 points worth of choices....