All builds will be updated for Mod 20 Sharandar and the Combat Rework as soon as we have done enough testing.
Welcome to our Barbarian Sentinel Guide, updated for Mod 18: Infernal Descent and Mod 19 Avernus.
To learn more about the new mod, check out our mod 19 Avernus guide.
The Barbarian Sentinel is a tank class in Neverwinter. They use huge two-handed swords to deliver blows and to deflect attacks from their opponents.
This build uses much of the same gear as the Barbarian Blademaster DPS build so you can easily switch between the two to fill both roles.
The purpose of our class guides is not just to show you a build that you can copy and use on your character, but to show you a base build and teach you the mechanics and stats of the game, so you can understand and play your class to its fullest capabilities.
Try different gear, feats, and powers and learn to tailor your own build for your playstyle. See our guide to making your own build for more info.
Basic Barbarian Sentinel Info
Other Barbarian Builds
Best Barbarian Sentinel Races
- Metallic Ancestry Dragonborn – 3% + Healing – +2 to Any two stats – 1500 Crit – 3% Increased Damage
- Dragonborn – 3% HP + Healing – +2 to Any two stats – 1500 Crit – 3% Increased Damage
- Human – 250 to all ratings (offensive & defensive) – +3 to any stat.
- Tiefling – 5% + Damage to targets below 50% health – +2 Cha and +2 Con or Int – 10% to reduce damage of target for 5 sec by 2.5%
- Dwarf – 20% Resistance to Knock and Push – +2 Con and +2 Str or Wis – 2000 Defense bonus.
Barbarian Sentinel Ability Score Priority
Put all your available Ability Scores into Strength and Constitution.
Barbarian Sentinel Stat / Rating Priority
- Armor Penetration (Caps at 90K)
- Critical Strike (Caps at 90k)
- Accuracy (Caps at 90k)
- Combat Advantage (Caps at 140k)
- Power (No Cap)
- Defense (Caps at 90K)
- Deflection (Caps at 90K)
- Critical Avoidance (Caps at 95K)
- Awareness (Caps at 100K)
- Health (No Cap)
Barbarian Sentinel Paragon Path, Powers & Rotation
Barbarian Sentinel Combat Powers
- Sentinel’s Slash
- Challenger’s Slash
- Punishing Charge (ST) – Not So Fast (AoE)
- Come and Get It
- Takedown (ST) – Primal Fury
- Savage Advance
- Battle High
- Challenger’s Charge
- Threatening Presence
Barbarian Sentinel Feats
- Frustrating Slash
- Indomitable Might
- Disarming Takedown / On the Move
- Savage Advance
- Rage and Rally (ST) / Blood Fury (AoE)
Barbarian Sentinel Boons
You should always choose boons based on what stats you currently need. Therefore a selection of several viable boons is available to you for each tier.
At end-game, you should hit the stat caps without needing any of the boons.
Tier 1 Boons
- Recruit’s Training – 250 Power
- Critical Avoidance – 250 Avoidance
- Critical Strike – 250 Crit
- Cultist Bulwark – 1000 HP
Tier 2 Boons
- Squire’s Training – 250 Power
- Defense – 250 Defense
- Armor Penetration – 250 Armor Penetration
- Demonic Bulwark – 1000 HP
- Demonic Mastery – 1% Increased damage and damage resistance vs. demons.
Tier 3 Boons
- Knight’s Training – 250 Power
- Awareness – 250 Awareness
- Combat Advantage – 250 Combat Advantage
- Dino Bulwark – 1000 HP
Tier 4 Boons
- Captain’s Training – 250 Power
- Deflect – 250 Deflect
- Accuracy – 250 Accuracy
- Necrotic Bulwark – 1000 HP
- Necrotic Mastery – 1% Increased damage and damage resistance vs. undead.
Tier 5 Boons (Choose 2)
- Severe Criticism – 1% Crit Severity per rank
- Welcome Blessing – 1% Incoming Healing Per Rank
- Call of Power – 1% Action Point gain per rank
- Quick Turnaround – 1% Recovery Speed per rank.
- Second Wind – 1% Stamina Regen
- Focused Retaliation 3/3
- Offense – Power
- Defense – Hit Points / Incoming Healing
Barbarian Sentinel Weapons & Gear
If you are new to Neverwinter and need to know how to get better gear and increase your item level, check out our Gearing Up Guide.
The best way to gear up in Neverwinter is by making a lot of Astral Diamonds, check out our Astral Diamond Guide to learn all the secrets of AD farming.
- Lion Guard’s Sallet
- Protégé’s Visor Helm
- Lion Guard’s Ward Cuirass
- Infernal Forged Breastplate
- Spiked Defender Vambrace
- Lion Guard’s
- Plated Gauntlets of the Successor
- Armando’s Dueling Boots
- Lion Guard’s
- Infernal Forged Greaves
- Lionheart Set
- Celestial Set
- Legion Guard Set
- Alabaster / Burnished Set
Main Hand Modification:
- Challenger’s Slash
- Ring of the Overwhelmed +5
- Ring of the Condemned +5
- Tanner’s Hardened Leather Ring
- Gold-plated Ring
Neck & Waist
- Reflective Armaments (Reflective Collar, Mirror-Plated Belt, Erratic Drift Globe)
- Infernal Forged Shirt
- Protege’s Shirt
- Infernal Forged Trousers
- Protégé’s Pants
Barbarian Sentinel Artifacts
- Forgehammer of Gond
- Wyvern-Venom Coated Knives
- Erratic Drift Globe
Choose secondary artifacts based on the stats you are lacking.
- Frozen Storyteller’s Journal
- Flayed Storyteller’s Journal
- Darkened Storyteller’s Journal
- Arcturia’s Music Box
- Trobriands Ring
- Staff of Flowers
- Halaster’s Blast Scepter
Barbarian Sentinel Enchantments
When getting enchantments, always get the ones with the stats you are lacking in with your gear, boons, etc in mind. For example, if you’ve capped Crit with your gear and boons, don’t get azure enchantments for your offense slots. If you still need to refine your enchantments, see our Refinement Guide for tips on how to farm refinement.
- One Tenebrous Enchantment
- Radiant Enchantments
- Radiant Enchantment
- Tactical Enchantment
- Dark Enchantment
- Fey’s Blessing / Dragon’s Hoard / Quartermaster’s Enchantment
- Elven Battle Enchantment
- Negation Enchantment
- Bronzewood Enchantment
- Resiliency of the Depths / Bulwark Of Brimstone from Hell Pit
- Various Marks from Stronghold Vendor
- Corrupt Black Ice / Lethal / Piercing
- Black / Red Dragon Glyph
Armor Reinforcement Kits
Any stat you might need.
Jewelry Reinforcement Kits
- Combat Advantage Jewel
Barbarian Sentinel Consumables & Buffs
Consider getting VIP for the Power of VIP HP buff if you aren’t already. Also always stand in campfires to get the +1 ability campfire buff.
Get one from each of the rows below:
- Empowered Chain of Scales (Best in Slot) > Adorable Pocket Pet > Tymora’s Lucky Coin
- Foehammer’s Favor Elixir
- Superior Flask of Potency +1
- Sambocade – Caprese
Barbarian Sentinel Companions
The most important thing to consider for a summoned companion is to get an Augment Companion. There are a bunch to choose from, some have more useful powers than others.
- Bulette Pup
- Deepcrow Hatchling
- Owlbear Cub
- Ioun Stones
- Potent Precision
Below is a selection of viable companion powers.
- Rimfire Golem’s Presence – 16000 HP and 2000 Armor Penetration
- Bard’s Discipline – 12000 HP and 15000 Awareness
- Dragon’s Insight – 10% Incoming Healing and 8000 HP
- Alluring Insight – 10% Healing and 2000 Power
- Monshea Druid’s Wisdom – 16000 HP and 2000 Critical Avoidance
- Iron Golem’s Presence – 16000 HP and 2000 Defense
- Xegyi’s Insight – 32000 HP
Double slotted “Of the Companion” gear
- Empowered Runestone and runestones for any stat you might need.
Barbarian Sentinel Mounts
When choosing a Legendary Mount for the Mount Powers, look for a mount that has both a useful equip and combat power.
What other mounts you use is not that important. What is important is to get the right insignia bonuses, and many different mounts can offer the various bonuses. To find out what mount has the bonus you want, check out our Insignia Bonus Guide.
Mount Insignia Bonuses
All classes and specs should consider using Wanderer’s Fortune before you have refined all your gear and enchantments, for extra refinement every day.
- Survivor’s Blessing
- Oppressor’s Reprieve
- Barbarian’s Revelry
- Gladiator’s Guile
- Knight’s Rebuke
- Champion’s Return
Barbarian Sentinel Mount Powers
Mount Equip Power:
- Stalwart – 50000 HP
Mount Combat Power:
- Trample (War Triceratops)
- Piercing Screech (Armored Griffon)
If you have any questions or suggestions about our Neverwinter Barbarian Sentinel guide, please leave a comment below! More info about the Barbarian class can be found at The Neverwinter Reddit. More builds and further info can also be found at MMOMinds.