Welcome to our Barbarian Sentinel Guide, updated for mod 17: Undermountain / Uprising and mod 18 Infernal Descent. To learn more about the new mod, check out our mod 18 Infernal Descent guide.
For the latest Neverwinter news and events, go to the MMOCULT Neverwinter Hub.
The Barbarian Sentinel is a tank class in Neverwinter. They use huge two-handed swords to deliver blows and to deflect attacks from their opponents.
This build uses much of the same gear as the Barbarian Blademaster DPS build so you can easily switch between the two to fill both roles.
The purpose of our class guides is not just to show you a build that you can copy and use on your character, but to show you a base build and teach you the mechanics and stats of the game, so you can understand and play your class to its fullest capabilities.
Try different gear, feats, and powers and learn to tailor your own build for your playstyle. See our guide to making your own build for more info.
Basic Barbarian Sentinel Info
Other Barbarian Builds
Best Barbarian Sentinel Races
- Metallic Ancestry Dragonborn – 3% + Healing – +2 to Any two stats – 1500 Crit – 3% Increased Damage
- Dragonborn – 3% HP + Healing – +2 to Any two stats – 1500 Crit – 3% Increased Damage
- Human – 250 to all ratings (offensive & defensive) – +3 to any stat.
- Tiefling – 5% + Damage to targets below 50% health – +2 Cha and +2 Con or Int – 10% to reduce damage of target for 5 sec by 2.5%
- Dwarf – 20% Resistance to Knock and Push – +2 Con and +2 Str or Wis – 2000 Defense bonus.
Barbarian Sentinel Ability Score Priority
Put all your available Ability Scores into Strength and Constitution.
Barbarian Sentinel Stat / Rating Priority
- Armor Penetration (Caps at 85K)
- Critical Strike (Caps at 85)
- Accuracy (Caps at 85)
- Combat Advantage (Caps at 135k)
- Power (No Cap)
- Defense (Caps at 85K )
- Deflection (Caps at 85K)
- Critical Avoidance (Caps at 90K)
- Awareness (Caps at 95K )
- Health (No Cap)
Barbarian Sentinel Paragon Path Feats & Powers
Barbarian Sentinel Combat Powers
- Sure Strike
- Challenger’s Slash
- Punishing Charge
- Indomitable Battle Strike (ST) / Primal Fury (AoE)
- Not So Fast
- Savage Advance
- Battle High
- Challenger’s Charge
- Threatening Presence
Barbarian Sentinel Feats
- Frustrating Slash
- Indomitable Might
- Disarming Takedown / On the Move
- Crushing Advance
- Blood Fury
Barbarian Sentinel Boons
You should always choose boons based on what stats you currently need. Therefore a selection of several viable boons is available to you for each tier.
At end-game, you should hit the stat caps without needing any of the boons.
Tier 1 Boons
- Recruit’s Training – 250 Power
- Critical Avoidance – 250 Avoidance
- Critical Strike – 250 Crit
- Cultist Bulwark – 1000 HP
Tier 2 Boons
- Squire’s Training – 250 Power
- Defense – 250 Defense
- Armor Penetration – 250 Armor Penetration
- Demonic Bulwark – 1000 HP
- Demonic Mastery – 1% Increased damage and damage resistance vs. demons.
Tier 3 Boons
- Knight’s Training – 250 Power
- Awareness – 250 Awareness
- Combat Advantage – 250 Combat Advantage
- Dino Bulwark – 1000 HP
Tier 4 Boons
- Captain’s Training – 250 Power
- Deflect – 250 Deflect
- Accuracy – 250 Accuracy
- Necrotic Bulwark – 1000 HP
- Necrotic Mastery – 1% Increased damage and damage resistance vs. undead.
Tier 5 Boons (Choose 2)
- Severe Criticism – 1% Crit Severity per rank
- Welcome Blessing – 1% Incoming Healing Per Rank
- Call of Power – 1% Action Point gain per rank
- Quick Turnaround – 1% Recovery Speed per rank.
- Second Wind – 1% Stamina Regen
- Blessed Resilience 3/3
- Offense – Power
- Defense – Hit Points / Incoming Healing
Barbarian Sentinel Weapons & Gear
If you are new to Neverwinter and need to know how to get better gear and increase your item level, check out our Gearing Up Guide.
The best way to gear up in Neverwinter is by making a lot of Astral Diamonds, check out our Astral Diamond Guide to learn all the secrets of AD farming.
- Lion Guard’s Sallet
- Protégé’s Visor Helm
- Lion Guard’s Ward Cuirass
- Infernal Forged Breastplate
- Spiked Defender Vambrace
- Plated Gauntlets of the Successor
- Infernal Forged Greaves
- Lionheart Set (Best in Slot)
- Alabaster / Burnished Set
Main Hand Modification:
- Sure Strike
- Tanner’s Hardened Leather Ring
- Gold-plated Ring
Neck & Waist
- Reflective Armaments (Reflective Collar, Mirror-Plated Belt, Erratic Drift Globe)
- Infernal Forged Shirt
- Protege’s Shirt
- Infernal Forged Trousers
- Protégé’s Pants
Barbarian Sentinel Artifacts
- Wyvern-Venom Coated Knives
- Erratic Drift Globe
Choose secondary artifacts based on the stats you are lacking.
- Arcturia’s Music Box
- Trobriands Ring
- Staff of Flowers
- Halaster’s Blast Scepter
Barbarian Sentinel Enchantments
When getting enchantments, always get the ones with the stats you are lacking in with your gear, boons, etc in mind. For example, if you’ve capped Crit with your gear and boons, don’t get azure enchantments for your offense slots. If you still need to refine your enchantments, see our Refinement Guide for tips on how to farm refinement.
- One Tenebrous Enchantment – Radiant Enchantments
- Radiant Enchantment
- Tactical Enchantment
- Dark Enchantment
- Fey’s Blessing / Dragon’s Hoard / Quartermaster’s Enchantment
- Elven Battle Enchantment
- Negation Enchantment
- Vorpal Enchantment
- Various Marks from Stronghold Vendor
- Corrupt Black Ice / Lethal / Piercing
- Black / Red Dragon Glyph
Armor Reinforcement Kits
Any stat you might need.
Jewelry Reinforcement Kits
- Combat Advantage Jewel
Barbarian Sentinel Consumables & Buffs
Consider getting VIP for the Power of VIP HP buff if you aren’t already. Also always stand in campfires to get the +1 ability campfire buff.
Get one from each of the rows below:
- Empowered Chain of Scales (Best in Slot) > Adorable Pocket Pet > Tymora’s Lucky Coin
- Wild Storm Elixir > Elixir of Fate
- Squash Soup > Watermelon Sorbet
Barbarian Sentinel Companions
- Bulette Pup
- Potent Precision
Below is a selection of viable companion powers.
- Rimfire Golem’s Presence – 16000 HP and 2000 Armor Penetration
- Bard’s Discipline – 12000 HP and 15000 Awareness
- Dragon’s Insight – 10% Incoming Healing and 8000 HP
- Alluring Insight – 10% Healing and 2000 Power
- Monshea Druid’s Wisdom – 16000 HP and 2000 Critical Avoidance
- Iron Golem’s Presence – 16000 HP and 2000 Defense
- Xegyi’s Insight – 32000 HP
Double slotted “Of the Companion” gear
Empowered Runestone and runestones for any stat you might need.
Barbarian Sentinel Mounts
When choosing a Legendary Mount for the Mount Powers, look for a mount that has both a useful equip and combat power.
What other mounts you use is not that important. What is important is to get the right insignia bonuses, and many different mounts can offer the various bonuses. To find out what mount has the bonus you want, check out our Insignia Bonus Guide.
All classes and specs should consider using Wanderer’s Fortune before you have refined all your gear and enchantments, for extra refinement every day.
- Survivor’s Blessing
- Oppressor’s Reprieve
- Barbarian’s Revelry
- Gladiator’s Guile
Barbarian Sentinel Mount Powers
Mount Equip Power:
Stalwart – 50000 HP
Mount Combat Power:
- Trample (War Triceratops)
If you have any questions or suggestions about our Neverwinter Barbarian Sentinel guide, please leave a comment below! More info about the Barbarian class can be found at The Neverwinter Reddit. More builds and further info can also be found at MMOMinds.
For the latest Neverwinter news, go to the MMOCULT Neverwinter Hub.