Welcome to our Fighter Vanguard Guide, updated for Mod 18: Infernal Descent and Mod 19 Avernus.
In this guide, we will give you tips and info on how to play the Fighter class.
To learn more about the new mod, check out our mod 19 Avernus guide.
The Vanguard is the tank spec for the Fighter class in Neverwinter. They can on foes toe to foe and keep the party safe. If you want to dish out some damage as well, consider a Dreadnaught build loadout as well.
The purpose of our class guides is not just to show you a build that you can copy and use on your character, but to show you a base build and teach you the mechanics and stats of the game, so you can understand and play your class to its fullest capabilities.
Try different gear, feats, and powers and learn to tailor your own build for your playstyle. See our guide to making your own build for more info.
Basic Fighter Vanguard Info
Other Fighter Builds
Best Fighter Vanguard Races
- Metallic Ancestry Dragonborn – 3% + Healing – +2 to Any two stats – 1500 Crit – 3% Increased Damage
- Dragonborn – 3% HP + Healing – +2 to Any two stats – 1500 Crit – 3% Increased Damage
- Gith – +2 Dex and +2 Str or +2 Int – 3% Stamina Regen – 5000 Combat Advantage
- Tiefling – 5% + Damage to targets below 50% health – +2 Cha and +2 Con or Int – 10% to reduce damage of target for 5 sec by 2.5%
- Human – 250 to all ratings (offensive & defensive) – +3 to any stat.
- Dwarf – 20% Resistance to Knock and Push – +2 Con and +2 Str or Wis – 2000 Defense bonus.
Fighter Vanguard Ability Score Priority
Put all your available Ability Scores into Strength and Constitution.
Fighter Vanguard Stat / Rating Priority
- Armor Penetration (Caps at 90K)
- Critical Strike (Caps at 90k)
- Accuracy (Caps at 90k)
- Combat Advantage (Caps at 140k)
- Power (No Cap)
- Defense (Caps at 90K)
- Deflection (Caps at 90K)
- Critical Avoidance (Caps at 95K)
- Awareness (Caps at 100K)
- Health (No Cap)
Fighter Vanguard Paragon Path, Powers & Rotation
Fighter Vanguard Combat Powers
- Threatening Rush
- Brazen Slash
- Shield Throw
- Anvil of Doom
- Iron Warrior
- Bladed Rampart
- Anvil of Challenge
- Steel Recovery
Fighter Vanguard Feats
- Cleaving Bull
- Critical Deflector
- Sharpened Senses
- Deep Breathing
Fighter Vanguard Boons
You should always choose boons based on what stats you currently need. Therefore a selection of several viable boons is available to you for each tier.
At end-game, you should hit the stat caps without needing any of the boons.
Tier 1 Boons
- Recruit’s Training – 250 Power
- Critical Avoidance – 250 Critical Avoidance
- Cultist Bulwark – 1000 HP
- Cultist Power – 1% Increased damage and damage resistance vs. Cultists.
Tier 2 Boons
- Squire’s Training – 250 Power
- Defense – 250 Defense
- Armor Penetration – 250 Armor Penetration
- Demonic Bulwark – 1000 HP
- Demonic Mastery – 1% Increased damage and damage resistance vs. demons.
Tier 3 Boons
- Knight’s Training – 250 Power
- Awareness– 250 Awareness
- Dino Bulwark – 1000 HP
- Simple Support – 2% Companion Influence
- Dino Power – 1% Increased damage and damage resistance vs. dinos.
Tier 4 Boons
- Captain’s Training – 250 Power
- Deflect – 250 Deflect
- Accuracy – 250 Accuracy
- Necrotic Bulwark – 1000 HP
- Necrotic Mastery – 1% Increased damage and damage resistance vs. undead.
Tier 5 Boons (Choose 2)
- Severe Precision – 1% Crit Severity per rank
- Welcome Blessing – 1% Incoming Healing Per Rank
- Quick Turnaround – 1% Recovery Speed per rank.
- Focused Retaliation 3/3
- Offense – Power
- Defense – Hit Points
Fighter Vanguard Weapons & Gear
If you are new to Neverwinter and need to know how to get better gear and increase your item level, check out our Gearing Up Guide.
The best way to gear up in Neverwinter is by making a lot of Astral Diamonds, check out our Astral Diamond Guide to learn all the secrets of AD farming.
- Lion Guard’s Barbute
- Infernal Forged Breastplate
- Lion Guard’s Ward Cuirass
- Infernal Forged Breastplate
- Lion’s Guard Gauntlets
- Spiked Defender Vambrace
- Plated Gauntlets of the Successor
- Lion Guard’s Sabatons
- Infernal Forged Cuisses
- Celestial Set
- Lionheart Set
- Legion Guard Set
- Alabaster / Burnished Set
Main Hand Modification:
- Threatening Rush
- Health Points
- Incoming Healing
- Ring of the Overwhelmed +5
- Ring of the Condemned +5
- Defending Ring of The Sentinel
- Leading Ring of the Sage
- Striking Ring of the Veteran
- Gold-Plated Ring
Neck & Waist
- Reflective Armaments (Reflective Collar, Mirror-Plated Belt, Erratic Drift Globe)
- Infernal Forged Shirt
- Protege’s Shirt
- Infernal Forged Trousers
- Protégé’s Pants
Fighter Vanguard Artifacts
- Wyvern-Venom Coated Knives
- Forgehammer of Gond
- Halaster’s Blast Scepter
- Erratic Drift Globe
Choose secondary artifacts based on the stats you are lacking.
- Frozen Storyteller’s Journal
- Flayed Storyteller’s Journal
- Darkened Storyteller’s Journal
- Arcturia’s Music Box
- Trobriands Ring
- Staff of Flowers
- Halaster’s Blast Scepter
Fighter Vanguard Enchantments
When getting enchantments, always get the ones with the stats you are lacking in with your gear, boons, etc in mind. For example, if you’ve capped Crit with your gear and boons, don’t get azure enchantments for your offense slots. If you still need to refine your enchantments, see our Refinement Guide for tips on how to farm refinement.
- One Tenebrous Enchantment
- Radiant Enchantments
- Radiant Enchantment
- Elven Battle Enchantment
- Negation Enchantment
- Tactical Enchantment
- Fey’s Blessing / Dragon’s Hoard / Quartermaster’s Enchantment
- Bronzewood Enchantment
- Resiliency of the Depths / Bulwark Of Brimstone from Hell Pit
- Various Marks from Stronghold Vendor
- Corrupt Black Ice / Lethal / Piercing
- Black / Red Dragon Glyph
Armor Reinforcement Kits
- Hit Points Armor Kit
Jewelry Reinforcement Kits
- Combat Advantage Jewel
- Stamina Regen Jewel
Fighter Vanguard Consumables & Buffs
Consider getting VIP for the Power of VIP HP buff if you aren’t already. Also always stand in campfires to get the +1 ability campfire buff.
Get one from each of the rows below:
- Empowered Chain of Scales (Best in Slot) > Adorable Pocket Pet > Tymora’s Lucky Coin
- Foehammer’s Favor Elixir
- Superior Flask of Potency +1
- Sambocade – Caprese
Fighter Vanguard Companions
- Bulette Pup
- Deepcrow Hatchling
- Owlbear Cub
- Ioun Stones
- Potent Precision
Below is a selection of viable companion powers.
- Rimfire Golem’s Presence – 16000 HP and 2000 Armor Penetration
- Harper bard – 12000 HP and 15000 Awareness
- Red Dragon Ioun Stone – 10% Incoming Healing and 8000 HP
- Alluring Insight – 10% Healing and 2000 Power
- Monshea Druid’s Wisdom – 16000 HP and 2000 Critical Avoidance
- Iron Golem’s Presence – 16000 HP and 2000 Defense
- Xegyi’s Insight – 32000 HP
- Energon – 32000 HP
Double slotted “Of the Companion” gear
Empowered Runestone and runestones for any stat you might need.
Fighter Vanguard Mounts
When choosing a Legendary Mount for the Mount Powers, look for a mount that has both a useful equip and combat power.
What other mounts you use is not that important. What is important is to get the right insignia bonuses, and many different mounts can offer the various bonuses. To find out what mount has the bonus you want, check out our Insignia Bonus Guide.
All classes and specs should consider using Wanderer’s Fortune before you have refined all your gear and enchantments, for extra refinement every day.
- Survivor’s Blessing
- Oppressor’s Reprieve
- Barbarian’s Revelry
- Gladiator’s Guile
- Knight’s Rebuke
- Champion’s Return
Fighter Vanguard Mount Powers
Mount Equip Power:
- Stalwart – 50000 HP
Mount Combat Power
- Trample (War Triceratops)
- Piercing Screech (Armored Griffon)
If you have any questions or suggestions about our Neverwinter Fighter Vanguard guide, please leave a comment below! More info about the Fighter class can be found at The Neverwinter Reddit.
For the latest Neverwinter news, go to the MMOCULT Neverwinter Hub.