Welcome to our Rogue Whisperknife Guide, updated for mod 17: Undermountain / Uprising and mod 18 Infernal Descent. To learn more about the new mod, check out our mod 18 Infernal Descent guide.
For the latest Neverwinter news and events, go to the MMOCULT Neverwinter Hub.
The Rogue is a typical melee DPS class, relying mostly on stealth and cunning to attack their enemies from the shadows. They wield blades and daggers that they use to attack the mobs from the shadows. Rogues can be either Assassin or Whisperknife, both are DPS oriented. Whisperknife is slightly better for AOE, so this build will focus on that. Check out our Rogue Assassin Build here.
The purpose of our class guides is not just to show you a build that you can copy and use on your character, but to show you a base build and teach you the mechanics and stats of the game, so you can understand and play your class to its fullest capabilities.
Try different gear, feats, and powers and learn to tailor your own build for your playstyle. See our guide to making your own build for more info.
Basic Rogue Whisperknife Info
Best Rogue Whisperknife Races
- Metallic Ancestry Dragonborn – 3% + Healing – +2 to Any two stats – 1500 Crit – 3% Increased Damage
- Dragonborn – 3% HP + Healing – +2 to Any two stats – 1500 Crit – 3% Increased Damage
- Half-Orc – 5% Crit Severity – +2 Dex and +2 Con or Str – 10% Movement Speed for 3 sec when entering combat
- Tiefling – 5% + Damage to targets below 50% health – +2 Cha and +2 Con or Int – 10% to reduce damage of target for 5 sec by 2.5%
Rogue Whisperknife Ability Score Priority
Put all your available Ability Scores into Strength and Constitution / Charisma
Rogue Whisperknife Stat / Rating Priority
- Armor Penetration (Caps at 90k)
- Critical Strike (Caps at 90k)
- Accuracy (Caps at 90k)
- Combat Advantage (Caps at 140k)
- Power (No Cap)
- Defense (Caps at 90K )
- Deflection (Caps at 90K)
- Critical Avoidance (Caps at 95K)
- Awareness (Caps at 100K )
- Health (No Cap)
Rogue Whisperknife Paragon Path & Powers
Rogue Whisperknife Combat Powers
- Sly Flourish
- Cloud of Steel
- Blade Flurry
- Path of the Blade
- Whirlwind of Blades
- Hateful Knives
- Dagger Threat
Rogue Whisperknife Feats
- Shady Preparations
- Dark Reimbursement
- One With the Shadows
- Shadow of Demise
- Ambusher’s Haste
Rogue Whisperknife Boons
You should always choose boons based on what stats you currently need. Therefore a selection of several viable boons is available to you for each tier.
At end-game, you should hit the stat caps without needing any of the boons.
Tier 1 Boons
- Recruit’s Training – 250 Power
- Critical Strike – 250 Crit
- Cultist Bulwark – 1000 HP
- Cultist Power – 1% Increased damage and damage resistance vs. Cultists.
Tier 2 Boons
- Squire’s Training – 250 Power
- Armor Penetration – 250 Armor Penetration
- Demonic Bulwark – 1000 HP
- Demonic Mastery – 1% Increased damage and damage resistance vs. demons.
Tier 3 Boons
- Knight’s Training – 250 Power
- Combat Advantage – 250 Combat Advantage
- Dino Bulwark – 1000 HP
- Simple Support – 2% Companion Influence
- Dino Power – 1% Increased damage and damage resistance vs. dinos.
Tier 4 Boons
- Captain’s Training – 250 Power
- Accuracy – 250 Accuracy
- Necrotic Bulwark – 1000 HP
- Necrotic Mastery – 1% Increased damage and damage resistance vs. undead.
Tier 5 Boons (Choose 2)
- Severe Criticism – 1% Crit Severity per rank
- Call of Power – 1% Action Point gain per rank
- Quick Turnaround – 1% Recovery Speed per rank.
- Blood Lust 3/3
- Offense – Power
- Defense – Hit Points
Rogue Whisperknife Weapons & Gear
If you are new to Neverwinter and need to know how to get better gear and increase your item level, check out our Gearing Up Guide.
The best way to gear up in Neverwinter is by making a lot of Astral Diamonds, check out our Astral Diamond Guide to learn all the secrets of AD farming.
- Lion Guard’s Raid Hat
- Ebony Stained Hide
- Vivified Primal Raid Amibari
- Rusted Iron Leggings
- Infernal Forged Gaiters
- Lionheart Set (Best in Slot)
- Alabaster / Burnished Set
Main Hand Modification:
- Enhanced Sly Flourish
- Critical Severity
- Striking Ring of the Master
Neck & Waist
- Orcus Set (Demogorgon’s Girdle of Might, Baphomet’s Infernal Talisman)
- Mad Mage Set
- Ebony Stained Shirt
- Pants of the Sentinel
Rogue Whisperknife Artifacts
- Staff of Flowers
- Decanter of Atropal Essence
Choose secondary artifacts based on the stats you are lacking.
- Arcturia’s Music Box
- Trobriands Ring
- Staff of Flowers
- Halaster’s Blast Scepter
- Shard of Orcus’ Wand
Rogue Whisperknife Enchantments
When getting enchantments, always get the ones with the stats you are lacking in with your gear, boons, etc in mind. For example, if you’ve capped Crit with your gear and boons, don’t get azure enchantments for your offense slots. If you still need to refine your enchantments, see our Refinement Guide for tips on how to farm refinement.
One Tenebrous Enchantment – Radiant Enchantments
- Tactical Enchantment
- Dark Enchantment
- Fey’s Blessing / Dragon’s Hoard / Quartermaster’s Enchantment
- Various Marks from Stronghold Vendor
- Corrupt Black Ice / Lethal / Piercing
- Black / Red Dragon Glyph
Armor Reinforcement Kits
Jewelry Reinforcement Kits
Combat Advantage Jewel
Rogue Whisperknife Consumables & Buffs
Consider getting VIP for the Power of VIP HP buff if you aren’t already. Also always stand in campfires to get the +1 ability campfire buff.
Get one from each of the rows below:
- Empowered Chain of Scales (Best in Slot) > Adorable Pocket Pet > Tymora’s Lucky Coin
- Wild Storm Elixir > Elixir of Fate
- Squash Soup > Watermelon Sorbet
Rogue Whisperknife Companions
Below is a selection of viable companion powers.
- Tamed Velociraptor – 2000 Power per party member using it.
- Staldorf – 8000 Combat advantage
- Deepcrow Hatchling – 8000 Power
- Batiri – 4% Damage against bosses
- Minstrel – 4000 Power and 2000 Awereness
- Broom – 4% Critical Severity
- Splinters – 4% Critical Severity and 2000 Critical Avoidance
- Green Slime – 8000 Defense
- Phase Spider – 2000 Critical strike and 4000 combat advantage
- Alpha Compy – 5% Power
- Owlbear Cub – 10% chance to hit for 50% of you Power
Double offense slotted “Of the Companion” gear
Rogue Whisperknife Mounts
When choosing a Legendary Mount for the Mount Powers, look for a mount that has both a useful equip and combat power. The best choice for a first legendary mount as a Rogue Whisperknife is a Swarm
What other mounts you use is not that important. What is important is to get the right insignia bonuses, and many different mounts can offer the various bonuses. To find out what mount has the bonus you want, check out our Insignia Bonus Guide.
All classes and specs should consider using Wanderer’s Fortune before you have refined all your gear and enchantments, for extra refinement every day.
Mount Insignia Bonuses
- Assassin’s Covenant
- Cavalry’s Warning
- Artificer’s Persuasion
- Gladiator’s Guile
- Survivor’s Gift
Brutality / Dominance for Power, or alternatively any other with stats you need. You can also use Insignia’s to get your defensive stats to cap for survivability.
Rogue Whisperknife Mount Powers
Mount Equip Power:
5000 or 10000 Power
Mount Combat Power:
Bat Swarm (Swarm) (Best in Slot) > Tenser’s Transformation
If you have any questions or suggestions about our Neverwinter Rogue Whisperknife guide, please leave a comment below! More info about the Rogue class can be found at The Neverwinter Reddit. More builds and further info can also be found at MMOMinds.
For the latest Neverwinter news, go to the MMOCULT Neverwinter Hub.