Welcome to our Barbarian Blademaster Guide, updated for Mod 18: Infernal Descent and Mod 19 Avernus.
To learn more about the new mod, check out our Mod 19 Avernus Guide.
The Barbarian Blademaster is a typical melee DPS class. They rely on strength to deliver huge blows to their enemies with their two-handed weapons. Barbarians are also some of the fastest and best solo classes in the game, as well as being sought after in groups.
This build uses much of the same gear as the Barbarian Sentinel Tank Build, so you can easily switch between the two roles.
The purpose of our class guides is not just to show you a build that you can copy and use on your character, but to show you a base build and teach you the mechanics and stats of the game, so you can understand and play your class to its fullest capabilities.
Try different gear, feats, and powers and learn to tailor your own build for your playstyle. See our guide to making your own build for more info.
Basic Barbarian Blademaster Info
Other Barbarian Builds
Best Barbarian Blademaster Races
What race you play doesn’t play a huge role, but will give a you a small boost. Generally I would advice you to play a race that you enjoy.
- Metallic Ancestry Dragonborn – 3% + Healing – +2 to Any two stats – 1500 Crit – 3% Increased Damage
- Dragonborn – 3% HP + Healing – +2 to Any two stats – 1500 Crit – 3% Increased Damage
- Tiefling – 5% + Damage to targets below 50% health – +2 Cha and +2 Con or Int – 10% to reduce damage of target for 5 sec by 2.5%
- Half-Orc – 5% Crit Severity – +2 Dex and +2 Con or Str – 10% Movement Speed for 3 sec when entering combat
Barbarian Blademaster Ability Score Priority
Put all your available Ability Scores into Strength and Dexterity. Alternatively, switch out Dexterity for Charisma.
Barbarian Blademaster Stat / Rating Priority
- Armor Penetration (Caps at 90K)
- Critical Strike (Caps at 90k)
- Accuracy (Caps at 90k)
- Combat Advantage (Caps at 140k)
- Power (No Cap)
- Defense (Caps at 90K )
- Deflection (Caps at 90K)
- Critical Avoidance (Caps at 95K)
- Awareness (Caps at 100K )
- Health (No Cap)
Barbarian Blademaster Paragon Path Feats, POwers & Rotation
Barbarian Blademaster Combat Powers
- Relentless Slash (AoE)
- Brash Strike (ST)
- Mighty Leap (AoE) / Indomitable Battle Strike (ST)
- Not so Fast (AoE) / Frenzy (ST)
- Avalanche of Steel
- Savage Advance
- Barbed Strikes
- Steel Blitz
Barbarian Blademaster Feats
- Mightier Leap
- Steel Slam
- Relentless Battlerage
Barbarian Blademaster Rotation
Single Target Rotation:
Relentless Slash – Indomitable Battle Strike – Bloodletter – Frenzy – Brash Strike (until battlerage wears off) – Use Savage Advance & Mount Power when available
Mighty Leap – Not So Fast – Relentless Slash – Bloodletter
Barbarian Blademaster Boons
You should always choose boons based on what stats you currently need. Therefore a selection of several viable boons is available to you for each tier.
At end-game, you should hit the stat caps without needing any of the boons.
Tier 1 Boons
- Recruit’s Training – 250 Power
- Critical Strike – 250 Crit
- Cultist Bulwark – 1000 HP
- Cultist Power – 1% Increased damage and damage resistance vs. Cultists.
Tier 2 Boons
- Squire’s Training – 250 Power
- Armor Penetration – 250 Armor Penetration
- Demonic Bulwark – 1000 HP
- Demonic Mastery – 1% Increased damage and damage resistance vs. demons.
Tier 3 Boons
- Knight’s Training – 250 Power
- Combat Advantage – 250 Combat Advantage
- Dino Bulwark – 1000 HP
- Simple Support – 2% Companion Influence
- Dino Power – 1% Increased damage and damage resistance vs. dinos.
Tier 4 Boons
- Captain’s Training – 250 Power
- Accuracy – 250 Accuracy
- Necrotic Bulwark – 1000 HP
- Necrotic Mastery – 1% Increased damage and damage resistance vs. undead.
Tier 5 Boons (Choose 2)
- Severe Criticism – 1% Crit Severity per rank
- Call of Power – 1% Action Point gain per rank
- Deathly Rage 3/3
- Offense – Power
- Defense – Hit Points
Barbarian Blademaster Weapons & Gear
If you are new to Neverwinter and need to know how to get better gear and increase your item level, check out our Gearing Up Guide.
The best way to gear up in Neverwinter is by making a lot of Astral Diamonds, check out our Astral Diamond Guide to learn all the secrets of AD farming.
- Lion Guard’s Sallet
- Fancy Duelist’s Mask of Cormyr (Bosses)
- Ebonized Chainmail (Best in Slot)
- Sentinel of the Star’s Breastplate
- Spiked Defender Vambrace (Best in Slot)
- Vivified Primal Assault Bangili
- Templar of the Twilight’s Bracers
- Rusted Iron Leggings (Best in Slot)
- Celestial Set
- Lionheart Set
- Legion Guard Set
- Alabaster / Burnished Set
Main Hand Modification:
- Relentless Slash
- Critical Severity
- Ring of the Brutal Fiend +5
- Ring of Fallen Power +5
- Ring of the Shadowstalker +4/+5
- Bypass Gold Ring
- Striking Ring of the Veteran / Master
Neck & Waist
- Dark Remnant’s Set (Book of Vile Darkness, Whip of Erinyes, The Engine Master’s Mantle)
- Orcus Set (Demogorgon’s Girdle of Might, Baphomet’s Infernal Talisman)
- Ebony Stained Shirt (Best in Slot)
- Pants of the Sentinel
- Infernal Trousers
Barbarian Blademaster Artifacts
- Envenomed Storyteller’s Journal
- Wyvern-Venom Coated Knives
- Decanter of Atropal Essence
Choose secondary artifacts based on the stats you are lacking.
Choose 3 Storyteller’s Journals for the bonus
- Frozen Storyteller’s Journal
- Flayed Storyteller’s Journal
- Darkened Storyteller’s Journal
- Arcturia’s Music Box
- Trobriands Ring
- Staff of Flowers
- Halaster’s Blast Scepter
- Shard of Orcus’ Wand
Barbarian Blademaster Enchantments
When getting enchantments, always get the ones with the stats you are lacking in with your gear, boons, etc in mind.
For example, if you’ve capped Crit with your gear and boons, don’t get azure enchantments for your offense slots.
If you still need to refine your enchantments, see our Refinement Guide for tips on how to farm refinement.
- One Tenebrous Enchantment
- Radiant Enchantments
- Radiant Enchantment
- Dark Enchantment
- Fey’s Blessing / Dragon’s Hoard / Quartermaster’s Enchantment
- Elven Battle Enchantment
- Barkshield Enchantment
- Shadowclad Enchantment
- Bilethorn or Vorpal Enchantment (ST)
- Lightning (AoE)
- Various Marks from Stronghold Vendor
- Corrupt Black Ice / Lethal / Piercing
- Black / Red Dragon Glyph
Armor Reinforcement Kits
- Power Kit
Jewelry Reinforcement Kits
- Combat Advantage Jewel
Barbarian Blademaster Consumables & Buffs
Consider getting VIP for the Power of VIP HP buff if you aren’t already. Also always stand in campfires to get the +1 ability campfire buff.
Get one from each of the rows below:
- Empowered Chain of Scales (Best in Slot) > Adorable Pocket Pet > Tymora’s Lucky Coin
- Wild Storm Elixir > Elixir of Fate
- Squash Soup > Watermelon Sorbet
Barbarian Blademaster Companions
The most important thing to consider for a summoned compaion is to get a Augment Compaion. There are a bunch to choose from, some have more useful powers than others.
- Bulette Pup
- Deepcrow Hatchling
- Owlbear Cub
- Ioun Stones
- Potent Precision
Below is a selection of viable companion powers.
- Tamed Velociraptor – 2000 Power per party member using it.
- Staldorf – 8000 Combat advantage
- Deepcrow Hatchling – 8000 Power
- Batiri – 4% Damage against bosses
- Minstrel – 4000 Power and 2000 Awareness
- Broom – 4% Critical Severity
- Ioun Stone of Allure – 2000 Power, 10% Incoming Healing
- Splinters – 4% Critical Severity and 2000 Critical Avoidance
- Green Slime – 8000 Defense
- Phase Spider – 2000 Critical strike and 4000 combat advantage
- Alpha Compy – 5% Power
- Owlbear Cub – 10% chance to hit for 50% of you Power
Double offense slotted “Of the Companion” gear
- Empowered Runestone
Barbarian Blademaster Mounts
When choosing a Legendary Mount for the Mount Powers, look for a mount that has both a useful equip and combat power. The best choice for a first legendary mount as a Barbarian Blademaster is a Swarm.
What other mounts you use is not that important. What is important is to get the right insignia bonuses, and many different mounts can offer the various bonuses. To find out what mount has the bonus you want, check out our Insignia Bonus Guide.
Mount Insignia Bonuses
All classes and specs should consider using Wanderer’s Fortune and or Traveler’s Treasures before you have refined all your gear and enchantments, for extra refinement every day.
Insignia bonuses are mostly down to preference. Some boost damage a bit, and some boost survivability, while others add utility.
- Cavalry’s Warning
- Combatant’s Maneuver
- Artificer’s Persuasion
- Gladiator’s Guile
- Survivor’s Gift
- Survivor’s Blessing
- Barbarian’s Revelry
Brutality / Dominance for Power, or alternatively any other with stats you need. You can also use Insignia’s to get your defensive stats to cap for survivability.
Barbarian Blademaster Mount Powers
Mount Equip Power:
5000 or 10000 Power
Mount Combat Power:
- Bat Swarm (Swarm) (Best in Slot)
- Tenser’s Transformation
If you have any questions or suggestions about our Neverwinter Barbarian Blademaster guide, please leave a comment below! More info about the Barbarian class can be found at The Neverwinter Reddit.
For the latest Neverwinter news, go to the MMOCULT Neverwinter Hub.