Welcome to our Paladin Oathkeeper Guide, updated for Mod 21: Jewel of the North and Echoes of Prophecy.
For the latest Neverwinter news, go to the MMORPG.GG Neverwinter Hub.
The Paladin is one of the most popular of classic D&D classes, in addition to being a holy warrior, they’re also protectors and healers, capable of healing and shielding their allies from harm.
The purpose of our class guides is not just to show you a build that you can copy and use on your character, but to show you a base build and teach you the mechanics and stats of the game, so you can understand and play your class to its fullest capabilities.
Try different gear, feats, and powers, and learn to tailor your own build for your playstyle. See our guide to making your own build for more info.
- Basic Oathkeeper Info
- Paragon Path Feats, Powers & Rotation
- Weapons & Gear
- Consumables & Buffs
Basic Paladin Oathkeeper Info
Below is all the basic information for the Oathkeeper, from race choices to stats.
Other Paladin Builds
Best Oathkeeper Races
What race you play doesn’t play a huge role, but will give you a small boost. Generally, I would advise you to play a race that you enjoy.
- Aasimar – 2% bonus Power, Outgoing Healing, Defense and Hit Points. – +2 to any two stats – 2% bonus Hit Points to party members.
- Metallic Ancestry Dragonborn – Recieve 5% more healing – +2 to Any two stats – 3% Critical Strike – 3% Power
- Dragonborn – Recieve 5% more healing – +2 to Any two stats – 3% Critical Strike – 3% Power
- Human – 1% Bonus to all ratings – +3 to any Ability Score
Oathkeeper Ability Score Priority
Put all your available Ability Scores into Charisma and Wisdom.
Oathkeeper Stat / Rating Priority
The Combat Rework introduced major changes to how stats and item level work, for more info see the official post.
Your cap for each stat is based on your item level. To cap a stat, the numbers of the stat need to be equal to or higher than your item level.
If your stat number is higher than your item level, you are wasting stats and should try to allocate stats differently.
For every 1000 points, a stat is lower than your item level you lose 1% in that stat.
You won’t be able to cap all stats, but capping your power is quite easy.
As a healer Outgoing Healing is your most important stat.
- Power (90%)
- Critical Strike (90%)
- Critical Severity (90%)
- Combat Advantage (90%)
- Accuracy (90%)
- Defense (90%)
- Deflection (90%)
- Critical Avoidance (90%)
- Awareness (90%)
- Health (90%)
Paladin Oathkeeper Paragon Path Feats, Powers & Rotation
This part is all about optimizing the Oathkeeper with the best feats, powers, and boons.
Paladin Oathkeeper Combat Powers
- Cure Wounds
- Valorous Strike
- Divine Touch or Divine Shelter
- Sacred Weapon or Banishment
- Circle of Divinity or Burning Light
- Shield fo Faith or Sanctuary
- Lay on Hands
- Aura of Restoration or Aura of Life
Paladin Oathkeeper Feats
- Critical Touch
- Prayer of Opportunity or Battle Focus
- Enduring Spirit
- Divine Intervention
- Emissary of Warding
Paladin Oathkeeper Boons
You should always choose boons based on what stats you currently need. Therefore a selection of several viable boons is available to you for each tier.
Tier 1 Boons
- Recruit’s Training – 0.2% Power Per Rank
- Critical Strike – 0.2% Critical Strike Per Rank
- Critical Avoidance – 0.2% Critical Avoidance Per Rank
- Cultist Bulwark – 0.2% HP Per Rank
- Cultist Power – 1% Increased damage and damage resistance vs. Cultists.
Tier 2 Boons
- Squire’s Training – 0.2% Power Per Rank
- Armor Penetration – 0.2% Critical Severity Per Rank
- Lingering Medicine – Increase effectiveness of Healing Potions by 1%
- Defense – 0.2% Defense Per Rank
- Demonic Bulwark – 0.2% HP Per Rank
- Demonic Mastery – 1% Increased damage and damage resistance vs. demons.
Tier 3 Boons
- Knight’s Training – 0.2% Power Per Rank
- Combat Advantage – 0.2% Combat Advantage Per Rank
- Lingering Fortification – Increase effectiveness of Healing Potions by 1%
- Awareness – 0.2% Awareness Per Rank
- Dino Bulwark – 0.2 HP Per Rank
- Dino Power – 1% Increased damage and damage resistance vs. dinos.
Tier 4 Boons
- Captain’s Training – 0.2% Power Per Rank
- Accuracy – 0.2% Accuracy Per Rank
- Lingering Power – Increase effectiveness of Healing Potions by 1%
- Deflect – 0.2% Deflect Per Rank
- Necrotic Bulwark – 0.2% HP Per Rank
- Necrotic Mastery – 1% Increased damage and damage resistance vs. undead.
Tier 5 Boons (Choose 2)
- Blessed Touch – 1% Outgoing Healing Per Rank
- Masterclass – 1% Forte per rank
- Blessed Advantage – 3/3
- Offense – Power or Critical Strike Bonus
- Defense – Defence or Hit Point Bonus
- Utility – Group Heal Potion Bonus
Paladin Oathkeeper Weapons & Gear
If you are new to Neverwinter and need to know how to get better gear and increase your item level, check out our Gearing Up Guide.
Note that the best in slot for your build might vary depending on what stats you have.
The best way to gear up in Neverwinter is by making a lot of Astral Diamonds, check out our Astral Diamond Guide to learn all the secrets of AD farming.
- Blessed Goristro’s Horns (Avernus Hunts)
- Blessed Whisper’s Hood of Quiet (Avernus Hunts)
- Blessed Helm of The Skyblazer (Avernus Hunts)
- Forest Guardian’s Ward/Raid Coif (Vault of Stars)
- Weathered Wood Hood(Seals Store)
- Lion Guard’s Ward/Raid Hat
- Raindrop Raiment
- Blessed Bone Devil’s Ribcage (Avernus Hunts)
- Forest Guardian’s Ward/Raid Leathers(Vault of Stars)
- Lion Guard’s Ward/Raid Leathers
- Wristguards of Precipitation
- Forest Guardian’s Ward/Raid Braces(Vault of Stars)
- Lion Guard’s Ward/Raid Gloves
- Star Rover’s Bracers
- Weathered Wood Braces (Seals Store)
- Spiked Defenders Vambrace
- Faerie’s Steps
- Midnight’s Whispers
- Greaves of the Lightguard (Avernus Hunts)
- Forest Guardian’s Ward/Raid Cuisses(Vault of Stars)
- Weathered Wood Gaiters (Seals Store)
- Celestial Set
- Mastered Set
- Blessed Blade Set
- Lionheart Set
- Legion Guard Set
Main Hand Modification:
- Cure Wounds or Valorous Strike
- AP Gain
- The Red Eye’s Glare
- The Grove’s Crystal Tears
- Gold Ring of the Herald
- Silver Ring of the Herald
- Twisting Gold Ring
- Striking Ring of the Veteran / Master
- Ring of the Shadowstalker +4/+5
Neck & Waist
- Tiamat Set: Amulet of Tiamat’s Demise, Tiamat Sash, Tiamat’s Orb of Majesty
- Star Set: Starshard Choker & Twinkle of the Stars (Trickster’s Gift)
- Weathered Wood Shirt (Seals Store)
- Upper Pact Brands (Avernus Hunts)
- Infernal Forged Shirt
- Ebony Stained Shirt
- Lower Pact Brands (Avernus Hunts)
- Weathered Wood Trousers (Seals Store)
- Infernal Forged Trousers
Paladin Oathkeeper Artifacts
- Envenomed Storyteller’s Journal
- Staff of Flowers
Choose secondary artifacts based on the stats you are lacking.
- Tiamat’s Orb of Majesty (For Set)
- Sparkling Fey Emblem (For Set)
Choose 2 Storyteller’s Journals for the bonus
- Frozen Storyteller’s Journal
- Flayed Storyteller’s Journal
- Darkened Storyteller’s Journal
Other Artifact Choices
- Arcturia’s Music Box
- Trobriands Ring
- Staff of Flowers
- Halaster’s Blast Scepter
- Shard of Orcus’ Wand
- Lantern of Revelation
Paladin Oathkeeper Enchantments
When getting enchantments, always get the ones with the stats you are lacking in with your gear, boons, etc in mind.
For example, if you’ve capped Crit with your gear and boons, don’t get azure enchantments for your offense slots.
If you still need to refine your enchantments, see our Refinement Guide for tips on how to farm refinement.
- One Tenebrous Enchantment
- Assassin’s Enchantment
- Savage Enchantment
- Gigantic Enchantment
- Tactical Enchantment
- Radiant Enchantment
- Dark Enchantment
- Brutal Enchantment
- Tactical Enchantment
- Demonic Enchantment
- Draconic Enchantment
- Dark Enchantment
- Azure Enchantment
- Tactical Enchantment
- Fey’s Blessing / Dragon’s Hoard / Quartermaster’s Enchantment
- Barkshield Enchantment
- Negation Enchantment
- Fireburst Enchantment
- Frost Enchantment
- Holy Avenger Enchantment
- Rage of Flames or Devil’s Precision
- Various Marks from Stronghold Vendor
- Corrupt Black Ice / Lethal / Piercing
- Black / Red Dragon Glyph
Armor Reinforcement Kits
- Power / Critical Strike or Severity / Accuracy Kit
Jewelry Reinforcement Kits
- Combat Advantage Jewel
Paladin Oathkeeper Consumables & Buffs
Consider getting VIP for the Power of VIP HP buff if you aren’t already. Also always stand in campfires to get the +1 ability campfire buff.
Pick one from each of the categories below depending on the stats you are lacking.
Invocation Blessing: Grace of Battle / Gift of Awareness / Righteous Boon / Gamber’s Fortune
Stronghold Food: Seared Tuna / Prime Rib / Ratatouille
Event Food: Watermelon Sorbet / Hotwings / Squash Soup / Mochi
Elixir: Wild Storm Elixir
Potion: Superior Flask of Potency +1
Reusable Item: Awakened Forger’s Box > Empowered Chain of Scales > Adorable Pocket Pet > Tymora’s Lucky Coin
Paladin Oathkeeper Companions
For your summoned companion you have the choice between using Augmented companions which will make it easier to cap stats or an active combat companion which will do damage.
Augment Companion Choices
- Golden Bulette Pup
- Stalwart Golden Lion
- Deepcrow Hatchling
- Owlbear Cub
- Ioun Stones
Active Companion Choices
- Cold Iron Warrior
- Black ice Prospector
- Air Archon
Below is a selection of viable companion powers.
- Golden Bulette Pup (Golden Bulette Pup’s Presence) – 7,5% Outgoing Healing
- Baby Deep Crow (Baby Deep Crow’s Presence) – 7,5% Power
- Tamed Valociraptor (Raptor’s Instincts) – Part of the Pack (Good in Groups)
- Quickling – 10% Outgoing Healing and 2000 Critical Strike
- Neverember Guard – 10% Outgoing Healing and 2000 Awareness
- Siege Master (Siege Master’s Discipline) – Combined Rating – Increases the power of your At-Will powers by 11% (Doubled on Stronghold Map)
- Black Dragon Ioun Stone (Black Dragon’s Insight) – 7.5% Critical Chance
- Staldorf (Staldorf’s Presence) – 7.5% Combat Advantage
- Razorwood (Twigblight’s Insight) – 3.8% Critical Severity & Accuracy
- Hawk (Hawk’s Insight’s) – 3.8% Critical Severity & Critical Chance
- Armored Orc Wolf (Orc Wolf’s Instincts) – 3.8% Critical Chance & Accuracy
- Batiri (Batiri’s Wisdom) – 11% Damage Versus Bosses
- Dancing Blade (Dancing Blade’s Insight) – 3.8% Critical Severity & Combat Advantage
- Flame Sprite (Flamesprite’s Insight) – 3.8% Critical Chance & Accuracy
- Phasespider (Phasespider’s Presence) – 3.8% Critical Chance & Combat Advantage
- Fire Archon (Fire Archon’s Insight) – 10% on At-Will use to increase Combat Advantage for 10 seconds
- Alpha Compy (Compy’s Insights) – 7,5% Power
- Ghost (Ghost’s Wisdom) – 3.8% Critical Chance & Power
- Wolf (Wolf’s Instincts) – 7.5% Critical Strike
- Fawn (Fawn’s Instincts – 3.8% Critical Chance & Power
- Alchemist Experimenter (Alchemist’s Discipline) – 3.8% Critical Chance & Combat Advantage
Double offense slotted “Of the Companion” gear
- Indomitable x6 (If using a combat companion)
- Profane Runestone
- Arcane Runestone
- Recondite Runestone
- Empowered Runestone
- Whatever you need for stats
Paladin Oathkeeper Mounts
When it comes to mounts, you should focus on getting them all to Mythic quality to increase Bolster.
Bolster Contribution depends on the quality of the mount, with Mythic mounts contributing 10% Bolster, this again increases the values of your Equip Power and Combat Power.
Mount Insignia Bonuses
All classes and specs should consider using Wanderer’s Fortune and or Traveler’s Treasures before you have refined all your gear and enchantments, for extra refinement every day.
Insignia bonuses are mostly down to preference. Some boost damage a bit, and some boost survivability, while others add utility.
- Gladiator’s Guile
- Assassin’s Covenant
- Shepherd’s Devotion
- Warlord’s Inspiration
- Calvary’s Warning
- Artificers Persuasion
- Barbarian’s Revelry
- Survivor’s Blessing
- Survivor’s Gift
- Knight’s Rebuke
- Oppressor’s Reprieve
- Wanderer’s Fortune
- Traveler’s Treasures
- Insignia of Brutality or Dominance
- Insignia of Aggression
- Insignia of Skill
- Supportive Regal Collar
- Wayfaring Crecent Collar
- Wayfaring Regal Collar
- Unified Regal Collar
- Supportive Crescent Collar
Paladin Oathkeeper Mount Powers
Mount Equip Power:
- Armor Breaker (Critical Severity)
- Ferocious Predator (Power & Critical Severity)
- Runic Aura (Power & Defense Party Buff)
- Rapid Accuracy (Accuracy)
- Precision (Critical Strike & Severity)
- Ruthless Efficiency (Critical Strike
- Dominant Force (Power)
- Opportunistic (Combat Advantage)
Mount Combat Power:
- Tyrannosaurus Rex’em (King of Spines)
- Eclipsed Armaments
- Magnificent Inspiration (Noble Pegasus)
If you have any questions or suggestions about our Neverwinter Paladin Oathkeeper guide, please leave a comment below! More info about the Paladin class can be found at The Neverwinter Reddit.