Welcome to our Paladin Justicar Guide, updated for Mod 24: Northdark Reaches.
For the latest Neverwinter news, go to the MMORPG.GG Neverwinter Hub.
If you’re looking for Neverwinter Paladin tanking tips and strategies, look no further! In this guide, we’ll walk you through everything you need to know in order to master the role of Paladin tank in Neverwinter.
We’ll discuss important concepts like threat management, survivability, and DPS, as well as give you some helpful pointers on how to optimize your character build and playstyle. So whether you’re a new player or just looking to brush up on the basics, read on for the best tips and strategies for playing Paladin tank in Neverwinter!
The Paladin is a holy warrior, introduced in mod 6: Elemental Evil. They can either be Healers through the Oathkeeper paragon path or Tanks through Justicar.
Consider using one loadout for an
The purpose of our class guides is not just to show you a build that you can copy and use on your character, but to show you a base build and teach you the mechanics and stats of the game, so you can understand and play your class to its fullest capabilities.
Try different gear, feats, and powers, and learn to tailor your own build for your playstyle. See our guide to making your own build for more info.
- Basic Justicar Info
- Paragon Path Feats, Powers & Rotation
- Weapons & Gear
- Consumables & Buffs
Basic Paladin Justicar Info
Below is all the basic information for the Justicar, from race choices to stats.
Other Paladin Builds
Best Justicar Races
What race you play doesn’t play a huge role, but will give you a small boost. Generally, I would advise you to play a race that you enjoy.
- Aasimar – 2% Power, Outcoming & Icoming Healing, Defense and Max Hit Points – +2 to any two stats – 2% max hit points to party members
- Dwarf – 20% Resistance to Knock and Push – +2 Con and Str or Wis – 5% Defense bonus
- Human – 1% Bonus to all stats – +3 To any Ability Score
- Halfling – 5% Deflect – +2 Dex and +2 Cha or Con – 10% Bonus to Control Resistance
- Drow – Darkfire – +2 Dex and +2 Cha or Wis – 5% Deflect Severity
- Metallic Ancestry Dragonborn – Recieve 5% more healing – +2 to Any two Ability Score – 3% Critical Strike – 3% Power
- Dragonborn – Recieve 5% more healing – +2 to Any Ability Score – 3% Critical Strike – 3% Power
- Tiefling – 5% + Damage to targets below 50% health – +2 Cha and +2 Con or Int – 10% to reduce damage of target for 5 sec by 2.5%
Justicar Ability Score Priority
Put all your available Ability Scores into Constitution and Charisma.
Justicar Stat / Rating Priority
The Combat Rework introduced major changes to how stats and item level work, for more info see the official post.
Your cap for each stat is based on your item level. To cap a stat, the numbers of the stat need to be equal to or higher than your item level.
If your stat number is higher than your item level, you are wasting stats and should try to allocate stats differently.
For every 1000 points, a stat is lower than your item level you lose 1% in that stat.
You won’t be able to cap all stats, but capping your power is quite easy.
As a tank your main focus should be on Defensive stats.
- Power (90%)
- Critical Strike (90%)
- Critical Severity (90%)
- Combat Advantage (90%)
- Accuracy (90%)
- Defense (90%)
- Deflection (90%)
- Critical Avoidance (90%)
- Awareness (90%)
- Health (90%)
Paladin Justicar Paragon Path Feats, Powers & Rotation
This part is all about optimizing the Justicar with the best feats, powers, and boons.
Paladin Justicar Combat Powers
- Oath Strike
- Radiant Slam / Shielding Strike
- Sacred Weapon (ST) – Burning Light (AoE)
- Binding Oath (ST) – Templar’s Wrath (AoE)
- Smite (ST) – Vow of Enmity (AoE)
- Shield of Faith – Heroism
- Divine Judgement (ST) – Radiant Charge (AoE)
- Divine Challenger – Composure (AoE)
- Aura of Valor (ST) – Aura of Vengeance (AoE)
Paladin Justicar Feats
- Sacred Shield
- Burning Vengeance / Baneful Strikes
- Divine Pursuit
- Sheltering Light
- Unyielding Champion
Paladin Justicar Rotation
Paladin Justicar Boons
You should always choose boons based on what stats you currently need. Therefore a selection of several viable boons is available to you for each tier.
Tier 1 Boons
- Recruit’s Training – 0.2% Power Per Rank
- Critical Strike – 0.2% Critical Strike Per Rank
- Critical Avoidance – 0.2% Critical Avoidance Per Rank
- Cultist Bulwark – 0.2% HP Per Rank
- Cultist Power – 1% Increased damage and damage resistance vs. Cultists.
Tier 2 Boons
- Squire’s Training – 0.2% Power Per Rank
- Armor Penetration – 0.2% Critical Severity Per Rank
- Defense – 0.2% Defense Per Rank
- Demonic Bulwark – 0.2% HP Per Rank
- Demonic Mastery – 1% Increased damage and damage resistance vs. demons.
Tier 3 Boons
- Knight’s Training – 0.2% Power Per Rank
- Combat Advantage – 0.2% Combat Advantage Per Rank
- Awareness – 0.2% Awareness Per Rank
- Dino Bulwark – 0.2 HP Per Rank
- Dino Power – 1% Increased damage and damage resistance vs. dinos.
Tier 4 Boons
- Disenchanting Aura – 0.2% Control Resistance
- Captain’s Training – 0.2% Power Per Rank
- Accuracy – 0.2% Accuracy Per Rank
- Deflect – 0.2% Deflect Per Rank
- Necrotic Bulwark – 0.2% HP Per Rank
- Necrotic Mastery – 1% Increased damage and damage resistance vs. undead.
Tier 5 Boons (Choose 2)
- Masterclass – 1% Forte Per Rank
- Quick Turnaround – 1% Recharge Speed Per Rank
- Focused Retaliation 3/3
- Offense – Power or Critical Strike Bonus
- Defense – Defence or Hit Point Bonus or Incoming Healing
Paladin Justicar Weapons & Gear
If you are new to Neverwinter and need to know how to get better gear and increase your item level, check out our Gearing Up Guide.
Note that the best in slot for your build might vary depending on what stats you have.
The best way to gear up in Neverwinter is by making a lot of Astral Diamonds, check out our Astral Diamond Guide to learn all the secrets of AD farming.
- The Dark Maiden’s Ward Helm
- Rugged Sallet of the Dragon Hunter
- Turban of Shifting Sands
- Rugged Mail of the Dragon Hunter
- Blessed Bone Devil’s Ribcage (Avernus Hunts)
- Forest Guardian’s Ward/Raid Scalemail (Vault of Stars)
- Rugged Gauntles of the Dragon Hunter
- Superior Crushers of the Dragon Hunter
- Arms of the Last Resistance
- Midnight’s Grips
- Crag Scaler’s Gauntlets
- Dragonsteel Greaves / Sabatons
- Rugged Sabatons of the Dragon Hunter
- Blessed Wisps of the Shadow Demon
- Slips of the Rain
- Masterwork Set
- Lionheart Set
- Scalebreaker’s Wrath
- Grand Alliance Set
Main Hand Modification:
- Oath Strike
- Recharge Speed
- Incoming Healing or any stat you might need
- Stalwartneedle Ring of Celerity
- Stalwartneedle Ring of Bulwark
- The Living Silver Fern
- Waywatchers Ring of Precision
- Ring of the Overwhelmed +5
- Ring of the Condemned +5
Neck & Waist
- Vanguard’s Alacrity: Dragonscale Neckguard, Dragonscale Girdle, Blue Dragon’s Mark
- Tiamat’s Prized Possesions: Tiamat’s Golden Necklace, Tiamat’s Golden Sash, Tiamat’s Arcane Globe
- Diamond Set (Scintilating Diamond Buckle, Iridescent Diamond Pendat, Refulgent Diamond Pin)
- Reflective Armaments (Reflective Collar, Mirror-Plated Belt, Erratic Drift Globe)
- Rugged Dwarven Body Pattern
- Shirt of the Dragon Cult
- Vale Tunic
- Upper Pact Brands (Avernus Hunts)
- Rugged Dwarven Limb Pattern
- War-Worn Pants
- Lower Pact Brands (Avernus Hunts)
Paladin Justicar Artifacts
- Gond’s Anvil of Creation
- Forgehammer of Gond
- Envenomed Storyteller’s Journal
- Wyvern-Vendom Coated Knives
Choose secondary artifacts based on the stats you are lacking.
- Mythallar Fragment
- Neverwinter’s Standard
- Jewel of the North
- Demogorgon’s Reach
Or choose 3 Storyteller’s Journals for the bonus
- Frozen Storyteller’s Journal
- Flayed Storyteller’s Journal
- Darkened Storyteller’s Journal
- Envenomed Storyteller’s Journal
Other Artifact Choices
- Lantern of Revelation
- Arcturia’s Music Box
- Trobriands Ring
- Staff of Flowers
- Halaster’s Blast Scepter
- Shard of Orcus’ Wand
Paladin Justicar Enchantments
When getting enchantments, always get the ones with the stats you are lacking in with your gear, boons, etc in mind.
If you still need to refine your enchantments, see our Refinement Guide for tips on how to farm refinement.
- Garnet Enchantment
- Garnet Enchantment
- Cobalt Enchantment
- Garnet Enchantment
- Recharge Bonus
- Fortified Nature
- Unholy Protection
- Resiliency of the Depths / Bulwark Of Brimstone from Hell Pit
- Various Marks from Stronghold Vendor
- Corrupt Black Ice / Lethal / Piercing
- Black / Red Dragon Glyph
Armor Reinforcement Kits
- Any stat you might need
Jewelry Reinforcement Kits
- Combat Awareness Jewel
Paladin Justicar Consumables & Buffs
Consider getting VIP for the Power of VIP HP buff if you aren’t already. Also always stand in campfires to get the +1 ability campfire buff.
Pick one from each of the categories below depending on the stats you are lacking.
Invocation Blessing: Grace of Battle / Gift of Awareness / Righteous Boon / Gamber’s Fortune
Stronghold Food: Seared Tuna / Prime Rib / Ratatouille
Event Food: Caprese
Elixir: Foehammer’s Favor Elixir
Potion: Crafted Potion of Deflect
Reusable Item: Awakened Forger’s Box > Empowered Chain of Scales > Adorable Pocket Pet > Tymora’s Lucky Coin
Paladin Justicar Companions
For your summoned companion you have the choice between using Augmented companions which will make it easier to cap stats or an active combat companion which will do damage.
Augment Companion Choices
This is just a selection of augment companions. Use one that has the stats you need.
- Bulette Pup
- Deepcrow Hatchling
- Owlbear Cub
- Ioun Stones
Active Companion Choices
- Stalwart Golden Lion
- Drizzt Do’Urden
- Honey Badger
- Tomb Spider
- Spined Devil
- Wayward Wizard (AoE)
- Regis (AoE)
- Potent Precision
Below is a selection of viable companion powers.
- Golden Deep Crow’s Presence – 7.5% Awareness
- Rimefire Golem’s Presence – 15000 HP and 3.8% Critical Severity
- Neverwinter Knight (Neverwinter Knight’s Discipline) – 7.5% Outgoing Damage
- Bruenor – 4.7% Awareness and Defense
- Regis – 4.7% Defect Chance and Severity
- Myconoid – 3.8% Critical Avoidance and Awareness
- Harper bard – 15000 HP and 3.8% Awareness
- Red Dragon Ioun Stone – 3.8% Incoming Healing and 15000 HP
- Moonshea Druid’s Wisdom – 15.000 HP and 3.8% Critical Avoidance
- Iron Golem’s Presence – 15.000 HP and 3.8% Defense
- Minstrel – 3.8% Power and 3.8% Awareness
- Green Slime – 7.5% Defense
- Lich – 7.5% Reduced Incoming Damage
- Watler – 7.5% Deflect
- Xegyi’s Insight – 30000 Hit Points
- Energon – 30000 Hit Points
Double offense slotted “Of the Companion” gear
- Companion Enchantment
Paladin Justicar Mounts
When it comes to mounts, you should focus on getting them all to Mythic quality to increase Bolster.
Bolster Contribution depends on the quality of the mount, with Mythic mounts contributing 10% Bolster, this again increases the values of your Equip Power and Combat Power.
Mount Insignia Bonuses
All classes and specs should consider using Wanderer’s Fortune and or Traveler’s Treasures before you have refined all your gear and enchantments, for extra refinement every day.
Insignia bonuses are mostly down to preference. Some boost damage a bit, and some boost survivability, while others add utility.
As a tank, the self-healing bonuses are the most valued.
- Warlord’s Inspiration
- Artificers Persuasion
- Assassin’s Covenant
- Calvary’s Warning
- Gladiator’s Guile
- Barbarian’s Revelry
- Survivor’s Blessing
- Survivor’s Gift
- Knight’s Rebuke
- Oppressor’s Reprieve
- Wanderer’s Fortune
- Traveler’s Treasures
- Sturdy Barbed Collar
- Wayfaring Regal Collar
- Unified Regal Collar
- Suportive Crescent Collar
Paladin Justicar Mount Powers
Mount Equip Power:
- Any defense stat power
Mount Combat Power:
- Magnificient Inspiration (Pegasus)
- Eclipsed Armament
- Piercing Screech (Armored Griffon)
If you have any questions or suggestions about our Neverwinter Paladin Justicar guide, please leave a comment below!