All builds will be updated for Mod 20 Sharandar and the Combat Rework as soon as we have done enough testing.
Welcome to our Paladin Justicar Tanking Guide, updated for Mod 18: Infernal Descent and Mod 19 Avernus.
In this guide, we will give you tips and info on how to play the Paladin class, previously called Oathbound Paladin.
To learn more about the new mod, check out our mod 19 Avernus guide.
The Paladin is a holy warrior, introduced in mod 6: Elemental Evil. They can either be Healers through the Oathkeeper paragon path or Tanks through Justicar.
Consider using one loadout for an
The purpose of our class guides is not just to show you a build that you can copy and use on your character, but to show you a base build and teach you the mechanics and stats of the game, so you can understand and play your class to its fullest capabilities.
Try different gear, feats,
Basic Paladin Justicar Info
Other Paladin Builds
Best Paladin Justicar Races
- Metallic Ancestry Dragonborn – 3% + Healing – +2 to Any two stats – 1500 Crit – 3% Increased Damage
- Dragonborn – 3% HP + Healing – +2 to Any two stats – 1500 Crit – 3% Increased Damage
- Tiefling – 5% + Damage to targets below 50% health – +2 Cha and +2 Con or Int – 10% to reduce damage of target for 5 sec by 2.5%
- Human – 250 to all ratings (offensive & defensive) – +3 to any stat.
- Dwarf – 20% Resistance to Knock and Push – +2 Con and +2 Str or Wis – 2000 Defense bonus.
Paladin Justicar Ability Score Priority
Put all your available Ability Scores into Constitution and Charisma.
Paladin Justicar Stat / Rating Priority
- Armor Penetration (Caps at 90K)
- Critical Strike (Caps at 90k)
- Accuracy (Caps at 90k)
- Combat Advantage (Caps at 140k)
- Power (No Cap)
- Defense (Caps at 90K)
- Deflection (Caps at 90K)
- Critical Avoidance (Caps at 95K)
- Awareness (Caps at 100K)
- Health (No Cap)
Paladin Justicar Paragon Path, Powers & Rotation
Paladin Justicar Combat Powers
- Oath Strike
- Radiant Slam / Shielding Strike
- Sacred Weapon (ST) – Bane (AoE)
- Binding Oath (ST) – Templar’s Wrath (AoE)
- Smite (ST) – Relentless Avenger (AoE)
- Shield of Faith – Heroism
- Divine Judgement (ST) – Radiant Charge (AoE)
- Divine Challenger – Composure (AoE)
- Aura of Valor (ST) – Aura of Vengeance (AoE)
Paladin Justicar Feats
- Sacred Shield
- Burning Vengeance / Baneful Strikes (AoE)
- Divine Pursuit
- Sheltering Light
- Unyielding Champion
Paladin Justicar Boons
You should always choose
At end-game, you should hit the stat caps without needing any of the boons.
Tier 1 Boons
- Recruit’s Training – 250 Power
- Critical Avoidance – 250 Critical Avoidance
- Cultist Bulwark – 1000 HP
- Cultist Power – 1% Increased damage and damage resistance vs. Cultists.
Tier 2 Boons
- Squire’s Training – 250 Power
- Defense – 250 Defense
- Demonic Bulwark – 1000 HP
- Demonic Mastery – 1% Increased damage and damage resistance vs. demons.
Tier 3 Boons
- Knight’s Training – 250 Power
- Awareness– 250 Awareness
- Dino Bulwark – 1000 HP
- Simple Support – 2% Companion Influence
- Dino Power – 1% Increased damage and damage resistance vs. dinos.
Tier 4 Boons
- Captain’s Training – 250 Power
- Deflect – 250 Deflect
- Necrotic Bulwark – 1000 HP
- Necrotic Mastery – 1% Increased damage and damage resistance vs. undead.
Tier 5 Boons (Choose 2)
- Second Wind – 1% Stamina Regen
- Welcome Blessings – 1% Incoming Healing
- Call of Power– 1% AP recovery
- Focused Retaliation 3/3
- Offense – Power
- Defense – Hit Points
Paladin Justicar Weapons & Gear
If you are new to Neverwinter and need to know how to get better gear and increase your item level, check out our Gearing Up Guide.
The best way to gear up in Neverwinter is by making a lot of Astral Diamonds, check out our Astral Diamond Guide to learn all the secrets of AD farming.
- Lion Guard’s Barbute
- Lion Guard’s Ward Cuirass
- Protégé’s / Spy’s Guild
- Spiked Defender Vambrace
- Plated Gauntlets of the Successor
- Lion Guard’s Poleyns
- Infernal Forged Cuisses
- Celestial Set
- Lionheart Set
- Legion Guard Set
- Alabaster / Burnished Set
Main Hand Modification
- Oath Strike
- Stamina Regen
- Health Points
- Incoming Healing
- Ring of the Condemned
- Ring of the Overwhelmed
- Tanner’s Hardened Leather Ring
- Gold-plated Ring
Neck & Waist
- Tales of Old Set (Scar & Sash of Embelishments + a Journal)
- Reflective Armaments (Reflective Collar, Mirror-Plated Belt, Erratic Drift Globe)
- Infernal Forged Shirt
- Protege’s Shirt
- Infernal Forged Trousers
- Protégé’s Pants
Paladin Justicar Artifacts
- Halaster’s Blast Scepter
- Wyvern-Venom Coated Knives
- Erratic Drift Globe
Choose secondary artifacts based on the stats you are lacking.
- Frozen Storyteller’s Journal
- Flayed Storyteller’s Journal
- Darkened Storyteller’s Journal
- Arcturia’s Music Box
- Trobriands Ring
- Staff of Flowers
- Halaster’s Blast Scepter
Paladin Justicar Enchantments
When getting enchantments, always get the ones with the stats you are lacking in with your gear, boons, etc in mind. For example, if you’ve capped Crit with your gear and boons, don’t get azure enchantments for your offense slots. If you still need to refine your enchantments, see our Refinement Guide for tips on how to farm refinement.
- One Tenebrous Enchantment
- Triple Stat Enchantments like Assassin’s Enchantment or whatever you might need for stats
- Radiant Enchantment
- Elven Battle Enchantment
- Negation Enchantment
- Tactical Enchantment
- Dark Enchantment
- Fey’s Blessing / Dragon’s Hoard / Quartermaster’s Enchantment
- Vorpal Enchantment
- Bronzewood Enchantment
- Resiliency of the Depths / Bulwark Of Brimstone from Hell Pit
- Various Marks from Stronghold Vendor
- Corrupt Black Ice / Lethal / Piercing
- Black / Red Dragon Glyph
Armor Reinforcement Kits
- Hit Points Armor Kit
Jewelry Reinforcement Kits
- Awareness / Stamina Regen Jewel
Paladin Justicar Consumables & Buffs
Consider getting VIP for the Power of VIP HP buff if you aren’t already. Also always stand in campfires to get the +1 ability campfire buff.
Get one from each of the rows below:
- Empowered Chain of Scales (Best in Slot) > Adorable Pocket Pet > Tymora’s Lucky Coin
- Foehammer’s Favor Elixir – Wild Stor Elixir
- Caprese – Sambocade
- Superior Flask of Potency +1
Paladin Justicar Companions
The most important thing to consider for a summoned companion is to get an Augment Companion. There are a bunch to choose from, some have more useful powers than others.
- Bulette Pup
- Deepcrow Hatchling
- Owlbear Cub
- Ioun Stones
- Potent Precision
Below is a selection of viable companion powers.
- Rimfire Golem’s Presence – 16000 HP and 2000 Armor Penetration
- Harper bard – 12000 HP and 15000 Awareness
- Red Dragon Ioun Stone – 10% Incoming Healing and 8000 HP
- Alluring Insight – 10% Healing and 2000 Power
- Monshea Druid’s Wisdom – 16000 HP and 2000 Critical Avoidance
- Iron Golem’s Presence – 16000 HP and 2000 Defense
- Xegyi’s Insight – 32000 HP
- Energon – 32000 HP
Double slotted “Of the Companion” gear
- Pick the runestones that has the stats you are lacking
Paladin Justicar Mounts
When choosing a Legendary Mount for the Mount Powers, look for a mount that has both a useful equip and combat power.
What other mounts you use is not that important. What is important is to get the right insignia bonuses, and many different mounts can offer the various bonuses. To find out what mount has the bonus you want, check out our Insignia Bonus Guide.
Mount Insignia Bonuses
All classes and specs should consider using Wanderer’s Fortune before you have refined all your gear and enchantments, for extra refinement every day.
- Survivor’s Blessing
- Oppressor’s Reprieve
- Barbarian’s Revelry
- Gladiator’s Guile
- Knight’s Rebuke
- Champion’s Return
Paladin Justicar Mount Powers
Mount Equip Power:
- Stalwart – 50000 HP
Mount Combat Power:
- Trample (War Triceratops)
If you have any questions or suggestions about our Neverwinter Paladin Justicar guide, please leave a comment below! More info about the Paladin class can be found at The Neverwinter Reddit.