The Complete Wizard Thaumaturge DPS Build – Neverwinter Mod 18 Infernal Descent
Welcome to our Wizard Thaumaturge Guide, updated for mod 17: Undermountain / Uprising and mod 18 Infernal Descent. To learn more about the new mod, check out our mod 18 Infernal Descent guide.
For the latest Neverwinter news and events, go to the MMOCULT Neverwinter Hub.
In this guide, we will give you tips and info on how to play the Wizard class.
The Wizard is a ranged DPS class capable of doing single target and AoE damage. Currently, the Thaumaturge is the best paragon path for AoE, while the Arcanist is better for single-target DPS. It is recommended that you have a Arcanist loadout for bosses and single target DPS, see our Arcanist Build here.
The purpose of our class guides is not just to show you a build that you can copy and use on your character, but to show you a base build and teach you the mechanics and stats of the game, so you can understand and play your class to its fullest capabilities.
Try different gear, feats, and powers and learn to tailor your own build for your playstyle. See our guide to making your own build for more info.
Wizard Thaumaturge Guide Index
Basic Wizard Thaumaturge Info
Best Wizard Thaumaturge Races
- Metallic Ancestry Dragonborn – 3% + Healing – +2 to Any two stats – 1500 Crit – 3% Increased Damage
- Dragonborn – 3% HP + Healing – +2 to Any two stats – 1500 Crit – 3% Increased Damage
- Tiefling – 5% + Damage to targets below 50% health – +2 Cha and +2 Con or Int – 10% to reduce damage of target for 5 sec by 2.5%
- Sun Elf – 2% Action Point Gain – +2 Int and Dex or Cha – 10% Control Resistance
Wizard Thaumaturge Ability Score Priority
Put all your available Ability Scores into Intelligence and Dexterity.
Wizard Thaumaturge Stat / Rating Priority
- Armor Penetration (Caps at 85K)
- Critical Strike (Caps at 85)
- Accuracy (Caps at 85)
- Combat Advantage (Caps at 135k)
- Power (No Cap)
- Defense (Caps at 85K )
- Deflection (Caps at 85K)
- Critical Avoidance (Caps at 90K)
- Awareness (Caps at 95K )
- Health (No Cap)
Wizard Thaumaturge Paragon Path Feats & Powers
Wizard Thaumaturge Combat Powers
- Ray of Frost
- Scorching Burst
- Repel (ST) / Fireball (AoE)
- Conduit of Ice
- Icy Terrain (AoE) / Ray of Enfeeblement (ST)
- Chill Strike
- Arcane Singularity
- Ice Knife
- Critical Conflagration
- Chilling Presence
Wizard Thaumaturge Feats
- Relative Haste
- Glowing Flames
- Frigid Winds
- Critical Burn
- Directed Flames
Wizard Thaumaturge Boons
You should always choose boons based on what stats you currently need. Therefore a selection of several viable boons is available to you for each tier.
Tier 1 Boons
- Recruit’s Training – 250 Power
- Critical Strike – 250 Crit
- Cultist Bulwark – 1000 HP
- Cultist Power – 1% Increased damage and damage resistance vs. Cultists.
Tier 2 Boons
- Squire’s Training – 250 Power
- Armor Penetration – 250 Armor Penetration
- Demonic Bulwark – 1000 HP
- Demonic Mastery – 1% Increased damage and damage resistance vs. demons.
Tier 3 Boons
- Knight’s Training – 250 Power
- Combat Advantage – 250 Combat Advantage
- Dino Bulwark – 1000 HP
- Simple Support – 2% Companion Influence
- Dino Power – 1% Increased damage and damage resistance vs. dinos.
Tier 4 Boons
- Captain’s Training – 250 Power
- Accuracy – 250 Accuracy
- Necrotic Bulwark – 1000 HP
- Necrotic Mastery – 1% Increased damage and damage resistance vs. undead.
Tier 5 Boons (Choose 2)
- Severe Criticism – 1% Crit Severity per rank
- Call of Power – 1% Action Point gain per rank
- Quick Turnaround – 1% Recovery Speed per rank.
- Deathly Rage – 3/3
- Offense – Power
- Defense – Hit Points
Wizard Thaumaturge Weapons & Gear
If you are new to Neverwinter and need to know how to get better gear and increase your item level, check out our Gearing Up Guide.
The best way to gear up in Neverwinter is by making a lot of Astral Diamonds, check out our Astral Diamond Guide to learn all the secrets of AD farming.
- Lion Guard’s Raid Cap (Best in Slot)
- Protégé’s Charmed Hat (In Undermountain)
- Fancy Duelist Mask of Cormyr (Boss Fights)
- Infernal Forged Cowl
- Ebony Stained Robes (Best in Slot)
- Hag’s Rags
- Lion Guard’s Raid Armlets (Best in Slot)
- Bralliel’s Planar Bindings
- Vivified Primal Raid Isongos
- Eyestalk Wrappers
- Rusted Iron Leggings (Best in Slot)
- Tempter of the Twilight Gaiters
- Enduring Boots
- Lionheart Set (Best in Slot)
- Alabaster / Burnished Set
Main Hand Modification:
Ray of Frost
- Guiding Ring of the Sharp-shooter
- Ring of the Shadowstalker +4/+5
- Ebonized Rings
Neck & Waist
Mad Mage / Arcturia / Dark Remnants Set
Ebony Stained Shirt
Protégé’s Trousers / Trousers of the Spy Guild
Wizard Thaumaturge Artifacts
Soul Sight Crystal (ST) – Decanter of Atropal Essence (AoE) / Wyvern-Venom Coated Knives
Choose secondary artifacts based on the stats you are lacking.
- Trobriands Ring
- Staff of Flowers
- Halaster’s Blast Scepter
- Shard of Orcus’ Ward (For set)
Wizard Thaumaturge Enchantments
When getting enchantments, always get the ones with the stats you are lacking in with your gear, boons, etc in mind. For example, if you’ve capped Crit with your gear and boons, don’t get azure enchantments for your offense slots. If you still need to refine your enchantments, see our Refinement Guide for tips on how to farm refinement.
One Tenebrous Enchantment – Radiant Enchantments
- Tactical Enchantment
- Dark Enchantment
- Fey’s Blessing / Dragon’s Hoard / Quartermaster’s Enchantment
Barkshield Enchantment – Soulforged Enchantment
Vorpal Enchantment / Lightning Enchantment (AoE)
- Various Marks from Stronghold Vendor
- Corrupt Black Ice / Lethal / Piercing
- Black / Red Dragon Glyph
Armor Reinforcement Kits
Jewelry Reinforcement Kits
Combat Advantage Jewel
Wizard Thaumaturge Consumables & Buffs
Consider to get VIP for the Power of VIP HP buff if you aren’t already. Also always stand in campfires to get the +1 ability campfire buff.
Get one from each of the rows below:
- Empowered Chain of Scales (Best in Slot) > Adorable Pocket Pet > Tymora’s Lucky Coin
- Wild Storm Elixir > Elixir of Fate
- Watermelot Sorbet > Squash Soup
Wizard Thaumaturge Companions
Below is a selection of viable companion powers.
- Tamed Velociraptor – 2000 Power per party member using it.
- Staldorf – 8000 Combat advantage
- Deepcrow Hatchling – 8000 Power
- Batiri – 4% Damage against bosses
- Minstrel – 4000 Power and 2000 Awereness
- Broom – 4% Critical Severity
- Splinters – 4% Critical Severity and 2000 Critical Avoidance
- Green Slime – 8000 Defense
- Phase Spider – 2000 Critical strike and 4000 combat advantage
- Alpha Compy – 5% Power
- Owlbear Cub – 10% chance to hit for 50% of you Power
Double offense slotted “Of the Companion” gear
Wizard Thaumaturge Mounts
When choosing a Legendary Mount for the Mount Powers, look for a mount that has both a useful equip and combat power. The best choices for a first legendary mount as a Wizard Thaumaturge is a Swarm.
What other mounts you use is not that important. What is important is to get the right insignia bonuses, and many different mounts can offer the various bonuses. To find out what mount has the bonus you want, check out our Insignia Bonus Guide.
All classes and specs should consider using Wanderer’s Fortune before you have refined all your gear and enchantments, for extra refinement every day.
Mount Insignia Bonuses
- Assassin’s Covenant
- Combatant’s Maneuver
- Artificer’s Persuasion
- Gladiator’s Guile
- Champion’s Return
Brutality / Dominance for Power, or alternatively any other with stats you need. You can also use Insignia’s to get your defensive stats to cap for survivability.
Wizard Thaumaturge Mount Powers
Mount Equip Power:
5000 or 10000 Power
Mount Combat Power:
Bat Swarm (Swarm) (Best in Slot)
If you have any questions or suggestions about our Neverwinter Wizard Thaumaturge guide, please leave a comment below! More info about the Wizard class can be found at The Neverwinter Reddit. More builds and further info can also be found at MMOMinds.
For the latest Neverwinter news, go to the MMOCULT Neverwinter Hub.