Welcome to our Wizard Thaumaturge Guide, updated for Mod 21: Jewel of the North and Echoes of Prophecy.
For the latest Neverwinter news, go to the MMORPG.GG Neverwinter Hub.
The Wizard is a ranged DPS class capable of doing single target and AoE damage.
The purpose of our class guides is not just to show you a build that you can copy and use on your character, but to show you a base build and teach you the mechanics and stats of the game, so you can understand and play your class to its fullest capabilities.
Try different gear, feats, and powers, and learn to tailor your own build for your playstyle. See our guide to making your own build for more info.
- Basic Thaumaturge Info
- Paragon Path Feats, Powers & Rotation
- Weapons & Gear
- Consumables & Buffs
Basic Wizard Thaumaturge Info
Below is all the basic information for the Thaumaturge, from race choices to stats.
Other Wizard Builds
Best Thaumaturge Races
What race you play doesn’t play a huge role, but will give you a small boost. Generally, I would advise you to play a race that you enjoy.
- Metallic Ancestry Dragonborn – Recieve 5% more healing – +2 to Any two Ability Score – 3% Critical Strike – 3% Power
- Dragonborn – Recieve 5% more healing – +2 to Any Ability Score – 3% Critical Strike – 3% Power
- Human – 1% Bonus to all stats – +3 To any Ability Score
- Tiefling – 5% + Damage to targets below 50% health – +2 Cha and +2 Con or Int – 10% to reduce damage of target for 5 sec by 2.5%
- Gith – 5% Combat Advantage – +2 Dex and +2 Str or Int – 5% Stamina Regen
- Half-Orc – 5% Crit Severity – +2 Dex and +2 Con or Str – 10% Movement Speed for 3 sec when entering combat
Thaumaturge Ability Score Priority
Put all your available Ability Scores into Intelligence and Dexterity.
Thaumaturge Stat / Rating Priority
The Combat Rework introduced major changes to how stats and item level work, for more info see the official post.
Your cap for each stat is based on your item level. To cap a stat, the numbers of the stat need to be equal to or higher than your item level.
If your stat number is higher than your item level, you are wasting stats and should try to allocate stats differently.
For every 1000 points, a stat is lower than your item level you lose 1% in that stat.
You won’t be able to cap all stats, but capping your power is quite easy.
- Power (90%)
- Critical Strike (90%)
- Critical Severity (90%)
- Combat Advantage (90%)
- Accuracy (90%)
- Defense (90%)
- Deflection (90%)
- Critical Avoidance (90%)
- Awareness (90%)
- Health (90%)
Wizard Thaumaturge Paragon Path Feats, Powers & Rotation
This part is all about optimizing the Thaumaturge with the best feats, powers, and boons.
Wizard Thaumaturge Combat Powers
- Ray of Frost
- Chilling Cloud
- Icy Terrain (AoE) or Repel
- Icy Rays
- Conduit of Ice (AoE) or Chill Strike
- Fireball (Spell Mastery)
- Oppressive Force
- Ice Knife
- Critical Conflagration
- Swath of Destruction
Wizard Thaumaturge Feats
- Relative Haste
- Icy Veins
- Shatter Strike
- Frigid Winds
- Rimefire Weaving
Wizard Thaumaturge Rotation
Single Target Rotation:
Chill Strike > Repel > Icy Rays > Fireball >Ray of Frost >Daily > Use Mount Power when available
Icy Terrain > Conduit of Ice > Icy Rays > Fireball >Ray of Frost >Daily > Use Mount Power when available
Wizard Thaumaturge Boons
You should always choose boons based on what stats you currently need. Therefore a selection of several viable boons is available to you for each tier.
Tier 1 Boons
- Recruit’s Training – 0.2% Power Per Rank
- Critical Strike – 0.2% Critical Strike Per Rank
- Critical Avoidance – 0.2% Critical Avoidance Per Rank
- Cultist Bulwark – 0.2% HP Per Rank
- Cultist Power – 1% Increased damage and damage resistance vs. Cultists.
Tier 2 Boons
- Squire’s Training – 0.2% Power Per Rank
- Armor Penetration – 0.2% Critical Severity Per Rank
- Defense – 0.2% Defense Per Rank
- Demonic Bulwark – 0.2% HP Per Rank
- Demonic Mastery – 1% Increased damage and damage resistance vs. demons.
Tier 3 Boons
- Knight’s Training – 0.2% Power Per Rank
- Combat Advantage – 0.2% Combat Advantage Per Rank
- Awareness – 0.2% Awareness Per Rank
- Dino Bulwark – 0.2 HP Per Rank
- Dino Power – 1% Increased damage and damage resistance vs. dinos.
Tier 4 Boons
- Captain’s Training – 0.2% Power Per Rank
- Accuracy – 0.2% Accuracy Per Rank
- Deflect – 0.2% Deflect Per Rank
- Necrotic Bulwark – 0.2% HP Per Rank
- Necrotic Mastery – 1% Increased damage and damage resistance vs. undead.
Tier 5 Boons (Choose 2)
- Masterclass – 1% Forte per rank
- Quick Turnaround – 1% Recharge Speed
- Deathly Rage 3/3 or Blood Lust 3/3
- Offense – Power or Critical Strike Bonus
- Defense – Defence or Hit Point Bonus
Wizard Thaumaturge Weapons & Gear
If you are new to Neverwinter and need to know how to get better gear and increase your item level, check out our Gearing Up Guide.
Note that the best in slot for your build might vary depending on what stats you have.
The best way to gear up in Neverwinter is by making a lot of Astral Diamonds, check out our Astral Diamond Guide to learn all the secrets of AD farming.
- Blessed Goristro’s Horns (Avernus Hunts)
- Blessed Whisper’s Hood of Quiet (Avernus Hunts)
- Blessed Helm of The Skyblazer (Avernus Hunts)
- Forest Guardian’s Ward/Raid Crown (Vault of Stars)
- Weathered Wood Cowl (Seals Store)
- Lion Guard’s Ward/Raid Cap
- Blessed Bone Devil’s Ribcage (Avernus Hunts)
- Forest Guardian’s Ward/Raid Coat (Vault of Stars)
- Lion Guard’s Ward/Raid Robe
- Forest Guardian’s Ward/Raid Armlets (Vault of Stars)
- Lion Guard’s Ward/Raid Armlets
- Weathered Wood Writguards (Seals Store)
- Spiked Defenders Vambrace
- Rusted Iron Leggings (Avernus Rare Monsters)
- Greaves of the Lightguard (Avernus Hunts)
- Forest Guardian’s Ward/Raid Shoes (Vault of Stars)
- Weathered Wood Shoes (Seals Store)
- Celestial Set
- Mastered Set
- Blessed Blade Set
- Lionheart Set
- Legion Guard Set
Main Hand Modification:
- Ray of Frost
- Critical Severity & Enhanced Critical Strike
- Diamond Ring of Sight +3
- Guiding Ring of the Sharp-shooter
- The Red Eye’s Glare
- The Fallen Lord’s Authority
- Striking Ring of the Veteran / Master
- Gold Ring of the Herald
- Silver Ring of the Herald
- Leading Ring of the Sage
- Bypass Gold Ring
Neck & Waist
- Star Set: S
- Star Set: Starshard Choker & Twinkle of the Stars (Trickster’s Gift)
- Apprentices’ Spoils: Jhesiyra’s Tattered Mantle & Trobriand’s Conduction Cable
- Lostmauth Set: Lostmauth’s Hoard Necklace & GoldeBelt of Puissance
- Upper Pact Brands (Avernus Hunts)
- Weathered Wood Shirt (Seals Store)
- Infernal Forged Shirt
- Ebony Stained Shirt
- Lower Pact Brands (Avernus Hunts)
- Pants of the Hell’s Interrogator (Avernus Hunts)
- Weathered Wood Trousers (Seals Store)
- Infernal Forged Trousers
Wizard Thaumaturge Artifacts
- Envenomed Storyteller’s Journal
- Halaster’s Blast Scepter
Choose secondary artifacts based on the stats you are lacking.
- Sparkling Fey Emblem (For Set)
- Lostmauth’s Horn of Blasting (For Set)
- Arcturia’s Music Box (For Set)
Choose 2 Storyteller’s Journals for the bonus
- Frozen Storyteller’s Journal
- Flayed Storyteller’s Journal
- Darkened Storyteller’s Journal
Other Artifact Choices
- Arcturia’s Music Box
- Trobriands Ring
- Staff of Flowers
- Halaster’s Blast Scepter
- Shard of Orcus’ Wand
Wizard Thaumaturge Enchantments
When getting enchantments, always get the ones with the stats you are lacking in with your gear, boons, etc in mind.
For example, if you’ve capped Crit with your gear and boons, don’t get azure enchantments for your offense slots.
If you still need to refine your enchantments, see our Refinement Guide for tips on how to farm refinement.
- One Tenebrous Enchantment
- Assassin’s Enchantment
- Savage Enchantment
- Gigantic Enchantment
- Tactical Enchantment
- Radiant Enchantment
- Dark Enchantment
- Brutal Enchantment
- Tactical Enchantment
- Demonic Enchantment
- Draconic Enchantment
- Dark Enchantment
- Tactical Enchantment
- Fey’s Blessing / Dragon’s Hoard / Quartermaster’s Enchantment
- Fireburst Enchantment
- Negation Enchantment
- Barkshield Enchantment
- Bilethorn Enchantment
- Lightning Enchantment (AoE)
- Rage of Flames or Devil’s Precision
- Various Marks from Stronghold Vendor
- Corrupt Black Ice / Lethal / Piercing
- Black / Red Dragon Glyph
Armor Reinforcement Kits
- Power / Critical Strike or Severity / Accuracy Kit
Jewelry Reinforcement Kits
- Combat Advantage Jewel
Wizard Thaumaturge Consumables & Buffs
Consider getting VIP for the Power of VIP HP buff if you aren’t already. Also always stand in campfires to get the +1 ability campfire buff.
Pick one from each of the categories below depending on the stats you are lacking.
Invocation Blessing: Grace of Battle / Gift of Awareness / Righteous Boon / Gamber’s Fortune
Stronghold Food: Seared Tuna / Prime Rib / Ratatouille
Event Food: Watermelon Sorbet / Hotwings / Squash Soup / Mochi
Elixir: Wild Storm Elixir
Potion: Superior Flask of Potency +1
Reusable Item: Awakened Forger’s Box > Empowered Chain of Scales > Adorable Pocket Pet > Tymora’s Lucky Coin
Wizard Thaumaturge Companions
For your summoned companion you have the choice between using Augmented companions which will make it easier to cap stats or an active combat companion which will do damage.
Augment Companion Choices
- Bulette Pup
- Deepcrow Hatchling
- Owlbear Cub
- Ioun Stones
Active Companion Choices
- Cold Iron Warrior
- Black ice Prospector
- Air Archon
- Acute Senses
- Potent Precision
Below is a selection of viable companion powers.
- Siege Master (Siege Master’s Discipline) – Combined Rating – Increases the power of your At-Will powers by 11% (Doubled on Stronghold Map)
- Black Dragon Ioun Stone (Black Dragon’s Insight) – 7.5% Critical Chance
- Staldorf (Staldorf’s Presence) – 7.5% Combat Advantage
- Razorwood (Twigblight’s Insight) – 3.8% Critical Severity & Accuracy
- Hawk (Hawk’s Insight’s) – 3.8% Critical Severity & Critical Chance
- Armored Orc Wolf (Orc Wolf’s Instincts) – 3.8% Critical Chance & Accuracy
- Batiri (Batiri’s Wisdom) – 11% Damage Versus Bosses
- Dancing Blade (Dancing Blade’s Insight) – 3.8% Critical Severity & Combat Advantage
- Flame Sprite (Flamesprite’s Insight) – 3.8% Critical Chance & Accuracy
- Phasespider (Phasespider’s Presence) – 3.8% Critical Chance & Combat Advantage
- Fire Archon (Fire Archon’s Insight) – 10% on At-Will use to increase Combat Advantage for 10 seconds
- Alchemist Experimenter (Alchemist’s Discipline) – 3.8% Critical Chance & Combat Advantage
- Book Imp (Bookimp’s Presence) – 3.8% Accuracy & 3.8% Combat Advantage
Double offense slotted “Of the Companion” gear
- Indomitable x6 (If using a combat companion)
- Profane Runestone
- Arcane Runestone
- Recondite Runestone
- Empowered Runestone
- Whatever you need for stats
Wizard Thaumaturge Mounts
When it comes to mounts, you should focus on getting them all to Mythic quality to increase Bolster.
Bolster Contribution depends on the quality of the mount, with Mythic mounts contributing 10% Bolster, this again increases the values of your Equip Power and Combat Power.
Mount Insignia Bonuses
All classes and specs should consider using Wanderer’s Fortune and or Traveler’s Treasures before you have refined all your gear and enchantments, for extra refinement every day.
Insignia bonuses are mostly down to preference. Some boost damage a bit, and some boost survivability, while others add utility.
- Artificers Persuasion
- Assassin’s Covenant
- Warlord’s Inspiration
- Calvary’s Warning
- Gladiator’s Guile
- Barbarian’s Revelry
- Survivor’s Blessing
- Survivor’s Gift
- Knight’s Rebuke
- Oppressor’s Reprieve
- Wanderer’s Fortune
- Traveler’s Treasures
- Insignia of Aggression
- Insignia of Skill
- Insignia of Brutality or Dominance if you still need power
- Sturdy Barbed or Crescent Collar
- Wayfaring Barbed Collar
- Unified Regal Collar
Wizard Thaumaturge Mount Powers
Mount Equip Power:
- Armor Breaker (Critical Severity)
- Rapid Accuracy (Accuracy)
- Precision (Critical Strike & Severity)
- Ruthless Efficiency (Critical Strike
- Dominant Force (Power)
- Opportunistic (Combat Advantage)
Mount Combat Power:
- Golden Touch (Golden Warhorse)
- Tunnel Vision (Several)
- Cauldron Fumes (Hag’s Hexing Cauldron)
- Giant Toad Tongue Lash (Giant Toad)
If you have any questions or suggestions about our Neverwinter Wizard Thaumaturge guide, please leave a comment below!
More info about the Wizard class can be found in the Wizards of Neverwinter Facebook group.