Welcome to our Oathbound Paladin Guide, updated for Ravenloft, mod 14. In this guide, we will give you tips and info on how to play the Oathbound Paladin class.
The Oathbound Paladin is a holy warrior, introduced in mod 6: Elemental Evil. They can either be Healers through the Oath of Devotion paragon path or Tanks through Oath of Protection.
The purpose of our class guides is not just to show you a build that you can copy and use on your character, but to show you a base build and teach you the mechanics and stats of the game, so you can understand and play your class to its fullest capabilities. Try different gear, feats and powers and learn to tailor your own build for your playstyle. See our guide to making your own build for more info.
Oathbound Paladin Guide Index
- Basic Oathbound Paladin Info
- Oathbound Paladinn Paths & Powers
- Oathbound Paladin Boons
- Oathbound Paladin Weapons & Gear
- Oathbound Paladin Enchantments
- Oathbound Paladin Consumables & Buffs
- Oathbound Paladin Companions
- Oathbound Paladin Mounts
Basic Oathbound Paladin Info
Best Races as a Oathbound Paladin
- Human: +2 to any stats. Versatile Defense (3% extra defense). Heroic Effort (3 extra heroic feats).
- Dragonborn: +2 to any stats. Dragon Heritage (5% extra healing from spells and abilities). Dragonborn Fury (3% extra power and crit).
- Dwarf : +2 Con, +2 Str. Stand your Ground (20% resistance to knock and push). Cast-Iron Stomach (20% resistance to DoTs)
Oathbound Paladin Attribute / Ability Score Priority
- Constitution > Wisdom > Charisma
Oathbound Paladin Rating / Stat Priority
For stats in Neverwinter, aim to hit the hard/soft cap of your primary stat, then secondary and so forth. Try not to waste stats by going over the caps, and instead start gearing towards another stat.
- Power > Defense (Caps Damage Resistance at 95%) > Deflection (Caps at 100%) > Hit Points > Armor Penetration (Cap Resistance Ignored at 100%) > Recovery > Crit (Caps at 100%)
Oathbound Paladin Paragon Paths & Powers
The Oathbound Paladin paragon paths offer two vastly different play styles. The Oath of Protection for tanking and DPS, and the Oath of Devotion for healing.
Oath of Protection
Oath of Protection Combat Powers
At-Wills: Radiant Strike – Oath Strike / Shielding Strike
Class Features: Aura of Courage – Aura of Wisdom
Daily: Shield of Faith – Divine Judgement
Encounter: Biding Oath – Templar’s Wrath – Bane
Oath of Protection Feats:
Oath of Devotion
At-Wills: Cure Wounds – Oath Strike
Class Features: Aura of Courage – Aura of Life / Aura of Wisdom
Daily: Shield of Faith – Healing Font
Encounter: Burning Light – Vow of Enmity – Bond of Virtue
Oath of Devotion Feats:
Oathbound Paladin Boons
If you still haven’t gotten all your boons, check out our Campaign Completion Guide, with info on how to complete all of the campaigns as fast as possible for all the boons.
Power – Defense – Mount Speed
Protection: Wave of Force – Heart of Stone – Searing Aggression – Wall of Wind
Devotion: Wave of Force – Heart of Stone – Blazing Resilience – Wall of Wind
Protection: Dark Fey Hunter – Fey Precision – Feywilds Fortitude – Elven Tranquility – Elvish Fury
Devotion: Dark Fey Hunter – Fey Precision – Elven Haste – Elven Tranquility – Elvish Fury
Protection: Reliquary Keeper’s Strenght – Evoker’s Thirst – Forbidden Piercing – Enraged Regrowth – Augmented Thayan Bastion
Devotion: Reliquary Keeper’s Strenght – Evoker’s Thirst – Forbidden Piercing – Enraged Regrowth – Burning Guidance
Protection: Weathering The Storm – Appreciation of Warmth – Sleet Skills – Cold Shoulder – Avalanche
Devotion: Weathering The Storm – Refreshing Chill – Rapid Thaw – Cool Resolve – Winter’s Bounty
Protection: Primordial Might – Primordial Focus – Drow Ambush Tactics – Dwarven Stamina – Abyssal Strikes
Devotion: Primordial Might – Primordial Focus – Drow Ambush Tactics – Dwarven Stamina – Abyssal Strikes
Tyranny of Dragons:
Protection: Dragonheart – Dragon’s Gaze – Draconic Armorbreaker – Dragon’s Greed – Dragon’s Thirst
Devotion: Dragon’s Claws – Dragon’s Gaze – Dragonscale Defense – Dragon’s Greed – Dragon’s Fury / Revival / Grip (One in each)
The Maze Engine:
Protection: Abyssal Regeneration – Demonic Resilience – Demonic Swiftness – Baphomet’s Might
Devotion: Abyssal Regeneration – Demonic Resilience – Demonic Swiftness – Engine Inspiration
Storm King’s Thunder:
Protection: Frosty Demeanor – Hardy Constitution – Icy Wrath – Glacial Strength – Chill of Winter
Devotion: Frosty Demeanor – Hardy Constitution – Chill Determination – Glacial Strength – Healing Warmth
The Cloaked Ascendancy:
Protection: Aura of Hope – Fiery Frency – Fey Brias – Aberrant Power
Devotion: Aura of Hope – Healing Heat – Soothing Zephyr – Vision of Beyond
Jungles of Chult:
Tyrant’s Terror x3 – Shamanic Grance x1 – Beasts Burden x1 – Overgrown x1 – Lingering Curse x2
Protection: Deathly Defiance x2 – Hardened Bones x1 – Righteous Sacrafice
Devotion: Ageless x3 – Righteous Sacrifice
Oathbound Paladin Weapons & Gear
If you are new to Neverwinter and need to know how to get better gear and increase your item level, check out our Gearing Up Guide.
The best way to gear up in Neverwinter is by making a lot of Astral Diamonds, check out our newly updated Astral Diamond Guide for mod 14 to learn all the secrets of AD farming.
If you want to plan out your character and see what items are available the Neverwinter Character Simulator is a great tool.
- Rex Corona (Best in Slot) > Decaying Habit > Oathlords’s Ward Barbute
- Oathlord’s Ward Cuirass (Best in Slot) > Knotted Garbs
- The Donjon’s Couters (Best in Slot) > Oathlord’s Restoration Gauntlets
- Oathlord’s Ward Sabatons > Shoes of Superstition
Primary & Secondary:
- Exalted Primal Weapons
Weapon Artifact Powers
- Primary: Oath Strike
- Secondary: Aura of Courage
Neck & Waist:
- Vistani Raiments & Vistani Pendant or Barovian Lavalliere & Barovien Cummerbund
- +4 / +5 Ring of the Gravestriker (Best in Slot) > Ring of the Shadowstalker > Ring of Offensive Action > Beaded Ring
Shirt & Pants:
- Upper Primal Paints & Lower Primal Paints
- Primary Artifact: Wheel of Elements / Thirst
- Secondary Artifacts: Tarokka Deck – Tome of Ascendance – Symbol of Fire
Oathbound Paladin Enchantments
When getting enchantments, always get the ones with the stats you are lacking in with your gear, boons, etc in mind. For example, if you’ve capped Crit with your gear and boons, don’t get azure enchantments for your offense slots. If you still need to refine your enchantments, see our Refinement Guide for tips on how to farm refinement.
Armor Enchantments :
- Negation Enchantment
Weapon Enchantments :
- Feytouched Enchantment
Offense Enchantments :
- Radiant Enchantments
Defense Enchantments :
- Radiant Enchantments
Dragon’s Hoard x2 + QuartmasterX2 + 1 Fey Blessing or Dark Enchantments.
Overload Enchantments :
- Corrupt Black Ice Enchantment
Armor Reinforcement Kits :
- Power Armor Kit
Jewelry Reinforcement Kits:
- Action Point Gain Jewel
Oathbound Paladin Consumables & Buffs
Consider to get VIP for the Power of VIP HP buff if you aren’t already. Also always stand in campfires to get the +1 ability campfire buff.
Get one from each of the rows below:
- Empowered Chain of Scales (Best in Slot) > Adorable Pocket Pet > Tymora’s Lucky Coin
- Elixir of Corellion’s Blood
- Watermelot Sorbet
Oathbound Paladin Companions
The best companions for Oathbound Paladins are:
- Summoned Companion: Chultan Tiger
- Active Companions: Air Archon, Earth Archon, Energon, Siege Master / Tamed Velociraptor (if rest of party is using one)
For the companion gear from Illusionist’s Gambit, the +4 rings are actually better than the +5 as they have two offensive/defensive enchantment slots and the +5 has an overload slot.
- Bold/Heroic Gear of the Companion
- Masterwork Rings
- +4/+5 Rings
Companion Runestones: Bonding Runestones
Oathbound Paladin Mounts
When choosing a Legendary Mount for the Mount Powers, look for a mount that has both a useful equip and combat power. The best choices for a first legendary mount as a Oathbound Paladin is a Black Ice Warhorse.
What other mounts you use is not that important. What is important is to get the right insignia bonuses, and many different mounts can offer the various bonuses. To find out what mount has the bonus you want, check out our Insignia Bonus Guide.
All classes and specs should consider using Wanderer’s Fortune before you have refined all your gear and enchantments, for extra refinement every day.
The Best Oathbound Paladin Insignia Bonuses:
- Assassin’s Covenant – Protector’s Camaraderie – Artificer’s Persuasion – Gladiators Guile – Cavalry’s Warning
- Dominance > Prosperity > Skill
Oathbound Paladin Mount Powers:
- Mount Equip Power: Dominant Force (4000 power)
- Mount Combat Power: Aureal Armament (Swift Golden Lion) Warpainted Tyrannosaurus Rex’em (Warpainted Tyrannosaur)
If you have any questions or suggestions about our Oathbound Paladin guide please leave a comment below! More info about the OP class can be found at The Neverwinter Reddit. More builds and further info can also be found at MMOMinds.