Welcome to our Oathbound Paladin Guide, updated for Swords of Chult, mod 12b. In this guide, we will give you tips and info on how to play the Oathbound Paladin class.
The Oathbound Paladin is a holy warrior, introduced in mod 6: Elemental Evil. They can either be Healers through the Oath of Devotion paragon path or Tanks through Oath of Protection.
This Oathbound Paladin guide is meant as a general guideline. To get the most out of your character, tailor him or her to your playstyle. The Neverwinter Reddit is a good place to start if you want to learn more about your class. More builds and further info can also be found at MMOMinds.
Oathbound Paladin Guide Index
Basic Oathbound Paladin Info
Best Races as an Oathbound Paladin:
- Human: +2 to any stats. Versatile Defense (3% extra defense). Heroic Effort (3 extra heroic feats).
- Dragonborn: +2 to any stats. Dragon Heritage (5% extra healing from spells and abilities). Dragonborn Fury (3% extra power and crit).
- Dwarf : +2 Con, +2 Str. Stand your Ground (20% resistance to knock and push). Cast-Iron Stomach (20% resistance to DoTs)
Oathbound Paladin Attribute Priority:
- Constitution > Wisdom > Charisma
Oathbound Paladin Stat Priority :
For stats in Neverwinter, aim to hit the hard/soft cap of your primary stat, then secondary and so forth. Try not to waste stats by going over the caps, and instead start gearing towards another stat.
- Power > Defense (Caps Damage Resistance at 95%) > Deflection (Caps at 100%) > Hit Points > Armor Penetration (Cap Resistance Ignored at 85%) > Recovery > Crit (Caps at 100%)
Oathbound Paladin Gear & Enchantments
If you are new to Neverwinter and need to know how to get better gear and increase your item level, check out our Gearing Up Guide. If you want to plan out your character and see what items are available the Neverwinter Character Simulator is a great tool.
- Rex Corona (Best in Slot) > Primal Ward Umqhele >Guise of the Wolf Clan > Titansteel Ward Armet > Vivified Oathkeeper’s Ward Armet > Dragon Loyalist’s Visage
- Primal Ward Ibantshi (Best in Slot) > Deepknights Brigandine > Titansteel Ward Cuirass> Vivified Oathkeeper’s Ward Cuirass
- Primal Ward Ibhendis (Best in Slot) > Hullsnapper > Vivified Oathkeeper’s Restoration Couters > Pioneer Ward Tahadus
- Primal Ward Isikhumbas (Best in Slot) > Boots of the Alpha > Vivified Oathkeeper’s Restoration Poleyns
Primary & Secondary:
- Titansteel (Best in slot if rest of party is also Masterwork II set) > Oathkeeper’s> The Cloaked Ascendancy Set > Wootz+Teak
Neck & Waist:
- Craigmire Set ( Cloak of the Protector, Greater Plated Belt of Constitution )
- Primal Restoration Ring > Ring of the Goblin Slayer +5 > Greater Ostorian Ring of Dod
Shirt & Pants:
- Shirt & Pants of the Chultan Merchant
- Primary Artifact: Wheel of Elements
- Secondary Artifacts: Horn of Valhalla – Lantern of Revelation (Craigmire Set) – Sigil of the Oathbound Paladin
Oathbound Paladin Enchantments :
When getting enchantments, always get the ones with the stats you are lacking in with your gear, boons, etc in mind. For example, if you’ve capped Crit with your gear and boons, don’t get azure enchantments for your offense slots.
Armor Enchantments :
- Negation Enchantment
Weapon Enchantments :
- Feytouched Enchantment
Offense Enchantments :
- Radiant Enchantments
Defense Enchantments :
- Radiant Enchantments
Utility Enchantments: Dragon’s Hoard x2 + QuartmasterX2 + 1 Fey Blessing / Dark Enchantments.
Overload Enchantments :
- Corrupt Black Ice Enchantment
Armor Reinforcement Kits :
- Power Armor Kit
Jewelry Reinforcement Kits: Action Point Gain Jewel
Oathbound Paladin Companions & Mounts
The Best Companion for Oathbound Paladin :
- Summoned Companion: Sellsword. Active Companions: Air Archon, Earth Archon, Energon, Siege Master / Tamed Velociraptor (if rest of party is using one)
Companion Gear :
For the companion gear from Illusionist’s Gambit, the +4 rings are actually better than the +5 as they have two offensive/defensive enchantment slots and the +5 has an overload slot.
- Bold/Heroic Gear of the Companion
Companion Runestones: Bonding Runestones
The Oathbound Paladin Fighter Mounts :
When choosing a Legendary Mount for the Mount Powers, look for a mount that has both a useful equip and combat power. The best choices for a first legendary mount as a Oathbound Paladin is a Black Ice Warhorse.
What other mounts you use is not that important. What is important is to get the right insignia bonuses, and many different mounts can offer the various bonuses. To find out what mount has the bonus you want, check out our Insignia Bonus Guide.
All classes and specs should consider using Wanderer’s Fortune before you have refined all your gear and enchantments, for extra refinement every day.
The Best Oathbound Paladin Insignia Bonuses :
- Assassin’s Covenant – Protector’s Camaraderie – Artificer’s Persuasion – Gladiators Guile – Shepard’s Devotion
Insignia Type :
- Dominance > Prosperity > Skill
Oathbound Paladin Mount Powers :
- Mount Equip Power: Dominant Force (4000 power) Mount Combat Power: Aureal Armament (Swift Golden Lion) Warpainted Tyrannosaurus Rex’em (Warpainted Tyrannosaur)
Oathbound Paladin Boons
Elemental Evil :
Protection: Wave of Force, Heart of Stone, Searing Aggression, Wall of Wind
Devotion: Wave of Force, Heart of Stone, Blazing Resilience, Wall of Wind
Protection: Dark Fey Hunter, Fey Precision, Feywilds Fortitude, Elven Tranquility, Elvish Fury
Devotion: Dark Fey Hunter, Fey Precision, Elven Haste, Elven Tranquility, Elvish Fury
Dread Ring :
Protection: Reliquary Keeper’s Strenght, Evoker’s Thirst, Forbidden Piercing, Enraged Regrowth, Augmented Thayan Bastion
Devotion: Reliquary Keeper’s Strenght, Evoker’s Thirst, Forbidden Piercing, Enraged Regrowth, Burning Guidance
Icewind Dale :
Protection: Weathering The Storm, Appreciation of Warmth, Sleet Skills, Cold Shoulder, Avalanche
Devotion: Weathering The Storm, Refreshing Chill, Rapid Thaw, Cool Resolve, Winter’s Bounty
Protection: Primordial Might, Primordial Focus, Drow Ambush Tactics, Dwarven Stamina, Abyssal Strikes
Devotion: Primordial Might, Primordial Focus, Drow Ambush Tactics, Dwarven Stamina, Abyssal Strikes
Tyranny of Dragons :
Protection: Dragonheart, Dragon’s Gaze, Draconic Armorbreaker, Dragon’s Greed, Dragon’s Thirst
Devotion: Dragon’s Claws, Dragon’s Gaze, Dragonscale Defense, Dragon’s Greed, Dragon’s Fury / Revival / Grip (One in each)
The Maze Engine :
Protection: Abyssal Regeneration, Demonic Resilience, Demonic Swiftness, Baphomet’s Might
Devotion: Abyssal Regeneration, Demonic Resilience, Demonic Swiftness, Engine Inspiration
Storm King’s Thunder :
Protection: Frosty Demeanor, Hardy Constitution, Icy Wrath, Glacial Strength, Chill of Winter
Devotion: Frosty Demeanor, Hardy Constitution, Chill Determination, Glacial Strength, Healing Warmth
The Cloaked Ascendancy :
Protection: Aura of Hope, Fiery Frency, Fey Brias, Aberrant Power
Devotion: Aura of Hope, Healing Heat, Soothing Zephyr, Vision of Beyond
Jungles of Chult :
Protection: Tyrant’s Terror, Soul Syphon
Devotion: Tyrant’s Terror, Lingering Curse
Oathbound Paladin Paragon Paths & Powers
The Oathbound Paladin paragon paths offer two vastly different play styles. The Oath of Protection for tanking and DPS, and the Oath of Devotion for healing.
Oath of Protection
At-Wills: Radiant Strike & Oath Strike / Shielding Strike
Class Features: Aura of Courage, Aura of Wisdom
Daily: Shield of Faith & Divine Judgement
Encounter: Biding Oath, Templar’s Wrath, Burning Light
Oath of Protection Feats:
Oath of Devotion
At-Wills: Cure Wounds & Oath Strike
Class Features: Aura of Courage, Aura of Life / Wisdom
Daily: Shield of Faith, Healing Font
Encounter: Burning Light, Vow of Enmity, Bond of Virtue
Oath of Devotion Feats:
If you have any questions or suggestions about our Oathbound Paladin Guide, please leave a comment below!