Welcome to our Hunter Ranger Guide, updated for the Heart of Fire, mod 15. In this guide, we will give you tips and info on how to play the Hunter Ranger class.
The Hunter Ranger is a melee & ranged DPS class, with a lot of crowd control abilities as well. The Hunter Ranger is one of the top preforming DPS classes in Neverwinter.
In this guide we are including one Pathfinder – Trapper build and a Stormwarden – Combat build. Using different loadouts, you can use both.
This Hunter Ranger guide is meant as a general guideline. To get the most out of your character, tailor him or her to your playstyle. The Neverwinter Reddit is a good place to start if you want to learn more about your class. More builds and further info can also be found at MMOMinds.
Hunter Ranger Guide Index
- Basic Hunter Ranger Info
- Hunter Ranger Paragon Paths & Powers
- Hunter Ranger Boons
- Hunter Ranger Weapons & Gear
- Hunter Ranger Enchantments
- Hunter Ranger Consumables & Buffs
- Hunter Ranger Companions
- Hunter Ranger Mounts
Basic Hunter Ranger Info
Best Races as a Hunter Ranger
- Wood Elf: +2 Dex, +2 Wis. Elven Accuracy (1% extra crit chance). Wild Step (10% resistance to Slow)
- Dragonborn: +2 to any stats. Dragon Heritage (5% extra healing from spells and abilities). Dragonborn Fury (3% extra power and crit).
- Drow: +2 Dex, +2 Wis / Cha. Darkfire (Defense reduction proc). Trance (Heal quicker at camps)
- Half-Orc : +2 Dex, +2 Str / +2 Con. Furious Assault (5% more crit severity). Swift Charge (10% increased run speed when you enter combat).
Hunter Ranger Attribute / Ability Score Priority
- Dexterity > Wisdom > Strenght
Hunter Ranger Rating / Stat Priority
For stats in Neverwinter, aim to hit the hard/soft cap of your primary stat, then secondary and so forth. Try not to waste stats by going over the caps, and instead start gearing towards another stat.
- Crit (Caps at 100%) >Armor Penetration (Cap Resistance Ignored at 100%) > Power
Hunter Ranger Paragon Paths & Powers
Pathfinder – Trapper
Pathfinder Combat Powers:
At-Wills: Rapid Shot / Rapid Strikes – Hunter’s Teamwork / Careful Attack
Class Features: Aspect of the Serpent – Aspect of the Pack
Daily: Seismic Shoot – Forest Ghost
Encounter: Hindering Shot – Cordon of Arrows – Constricting Arrow
Stormwarden – Combat
Stormwarden Combat Powers:
At-Wills: Split Shot – Clear the Ground
Class Features: Blade Storm – Aspect of the Pack
Daily: Seismic Shoot – Forest Ghost
Encounter: Longstrider Shot- Cordon of Arrows – Constricting Arrow
Hunter Ranger Boons
If you still haven’t gotten all your boons, check out our Campaign Completion Guide, with info on how to complete all of the campaigns as fast as possible for all the boons.
Power – Defense – Mount Speed
Wave of Force – Heart of Stone – Searing Aggression – Wall of Wind
Dark Fey Hunter – Fey Precision – Elven Haste – Elven Ferocity – Elvish Fury
Reliquary Keeper’s Strenght – Evoker’s Thirst – Forbidden Piercing – Shadowtouch – Rampaging Madness
Encroaching Tactics – Refreshing Chill – Sleet Skills – Cool Resolve – Winter’s Bounty
Primordial Might – Primordial Focus – Drow Ambush Tactics – Dwarven Footing – Abyssal Strikes
Tyranny of Dragons:
Dragon’s Claws – Dragon’s Gaze – Draconic Armorbreaker – Dragon’s Greed – Dragon’s Fury x2 – Dragon’s Thirst x1
The Maze Engine:
Abyssal Siphoning – Demonic Influence – Demonic Swiftness – Baphomet’s Might
Storm King’s Thunder:
Cold Hearted – Survival Instincts – Chill Determination – Vengeful Heat – Chill of Winter
The Cloaked Ascendancy:
Aura of Despair – Fiery Frency – Soothing Zephyr – Aberrant Power
Jungles of Chult:
Tyrant’s Terror x3 – Shamanic Grance x1 – Beasts Burden x1 – Overgrown x1 – Lingering Curse x2
(The reason behind having one of each is to max HP gain)
Undying Death x3 – Blood Lust
Confidence Boost / Critically Aclaimed – Severe Critisism
Hunter Ranger Weapons & Gear
If you are new to Neverwinter and need to know how to get better gear and increase your item level, check out our Gearing Up Guide.
The best way to gear up in Neverwinter is by making a lot of Astral Diamonds, check out our newly updated Astral Diamond Guide for mod 14 to learn all the secrets of AD farming.
If you want to plan out your character and see what items are available the Neverwinter Character Simulator is a great tool.
- Gallant Raid Hood / Woodlords Raid / Assault (Best in Slot) >The Seer’s Hood > Other 540 ilvl from Ravenloft
- Hag’s Rags / Fured Kiuno of the Bear (Best in Slot) > Woodlord’s Raid / Assault Jerkin > Knotted Garb’s
- Terrored Grips (Best in Slot) > Eyestalk Wrappers
- Heel’s of Fury / Fearbringers (Best in Slot) > Lycan Boots of the Pack
Primary & Secondary:
- Exalted +1 Stronghold Weapons
Weapon Artifact Powers
- Primary: Rapid Shot / Rapid Strikes
- Primary: Rapid Shot / Rapid Strikes
- Secondary: Aspect of the Pack
Neck & Waist:
- Company Duelist Cloak & Twined Rope of Dexterity
- Ring of the Shadowstalker +4/+5 (Best in Slot) > Ring of Offensive Action > Masterwork Rings
Shirt & Pants:
- Shirt of the Chultan Merchant+ Lower Primal Paints
- Primary Artifact: Wheel of Elements / Soul Sight Crystal
- Secondary Artifacts: Eye of the Giant – Sigil of the Controller – Fragmented Key of Stars
Hunter Ranger Enchantments
When getting enchantments, always get the ones with the stats you are lacking in with your gear, boons, etc in mind. For example, if you’ve capped Crit with your gear and boons, don’t get azure enchantments for your offense slots. If you still need to refine your enchantments, see our Refinement Guide for tips on how to farm refinement.
Armor Enchantments :
- Negation / Barkshield Enchantment
Weapon Enchantments :
- Feytouched Enchantment
Offense Enchantments :
- Brutal / Savage Radiant Enchantments
Defense Enchantments :
- Savage / Dark Enchantments
Dragon’s Hoard x2 + QuartmasterX2 + 1 Fey Blessing or Dark Enchantments.
Overload Enchantments :
- Various Marks from Stronghold Vendor > Corrupt Black Ice / Lethal / Piercing > Black / Red Dragon Glyph
Armor Reinforcement Kits :
- Power Armor Kit – Armor Penetration Armor Kit – Critical Strike Armor Kit
Jewelry Reinforcement Kits:
- Action Point Gain Jewel
Hunter Ranger Companions
The best companions for Hunter Rangers are:
- Summoned Companion: Chultan Tiger
- Active Companions: Air Archon – Fire Archon – Earth Archon – Razorwood
For the companion gear from Illusionist’s Gambit, the +4 rings are actually better than the +5 as they have two offensive/defensive enchantment slots and the +5 has an overload slot.
- Bold/Heroic Gear of the Companion
- Masterwork Rings
- +4/+5 Rings
Companion Runestones: Bonding Runestones
Hunter Ranger Mounts
When choosing a Legendary Mount for the Mount Powers, look for a mount that has both a useful equip and combat power. The best choices for a first legendary mount as a Great Weapon Fighter is a Swarm.
What other mounts you use is not that important. What is important is to get the right insignia bonuses, and many different mounts can offer the various bonuses. To find out what mount has the bonus you want, check out our Insignia Bonus Guide.
All classes and specs should consider using Wanderer’s Fortune before you have refined all your gear and enchantments, for extra refinement every day.
The Best Hunter Ranger Insignia Bonuses :
- Assassin’s Covenant – Protector’s Camaraderie – Artificer’s Persuasion – Gladiators Guile – Cavalry’s Warning
Insignia Type :
- Dominance – Prosperity – Skill
Hunter Ranger Mount Powers :
- Mount Equip Power: Dominant Force (4000 power) – Fierce Predator (2000 Power + 2000 Armor Pen)
- Mount Combat Power: Bat Swarm (Swarm)
If you have any questions or suggestions about our Hunter Ranger Guide, please leave a comment below! More info about the HR class can be found at The Neverwinter Reddit. More builds and further info can also be found at MMOMinds.