Welcome to our World of Warcraft leveling guide, updated in 2020 for Shadowlands. This WoW leveling guide will show you how to level as quickly as possible from level 1 to 60.
Leveling changed a lot with the release of Shadowlands. Timewalking Campaigns are started by talking to Chromie and will take you all the way to level 50, just by doing one of the expansion campaigns.
Leveling from 1-50 is a lot faster than it was to level from 1-120. Speed levelers can do it in a little over 4 hours, while casual players can reach level 50 in about 8-10 hours of playtime. An experienced WoW player should be able to reach 50 in about 6-8 hours.
Leveling from 50-60 is also pretty quick and can be done in about 10 hours or so by following the story. Alts can be leveled in a new system called Threads of Fate, but at the moment the story is still faster.
General WoW Leveling Tips
Before starting with our WoW Leveling Guide, it might be smart to go over these tips as they will cut down on leveling time.
Having some gold will definitely make the journey a bit easier. Check out our Shadowlands Gold Farming Guide for more info.
- Heirlooms: With Shadowlands, the way heirlooms work has changed. Instead of giving bonus XP, the set bonuses reduce rested experience consumed by 30% by wearing 2 heirlooms and an additional 30% by wearing 6 pieces. This is in addition to other beneficial stats and set bonuses.
- Enchants: Also remember to get enchants on your gear as it will increase the rate you kill mobs. The most important ones are Enchant Weapon – Elemental Force and Enchant Neck – Mark of the Hidden Satyr
- Rest XP: Always log out in an Inn or in a major city to get rest XP. To see if you are getting rest, look at your character’s thumbnail and see if there is a ZzZ mark where your level usually is. For more info about rest XP, see this article.
- XP Potions: The Draught of Ten Lands is the only XP potion that still works. It gives you 10% bonus XP.
- War Mode: War Mode can be turned on at level 30 through your talent window, and will give you a 10-30% XP bonus.
- Darkmoon Faire: The Darkmoon Faire comes around once a month and provides two ways of bonus XP. You can ride the carousel to get the “Whee!” buff (10% bonus XP for one hour). You can also get the Darkmoon Top Hat by playing a few games, which gives you 10% bonus XP but only works during the Darkmoon Faire. Both of these are generally not worth it for the most part, as you spend more time running to get the buff than you gain in XP when leveling.
Join a Guild
There are a couple of benefits to joining a guild. You can also find leveling specific guilds that are generally more than happy to help you on your way to level 60.
- Guild Perks: Some guild perks are quite nice when leveling like the mount speed bonus and the shorter hearthstone duration.
- Heirlooms: Some heirlooms are only accessible through the Guild Vendor.
- Bagspace: Getting some nice big bags for your character won’t speed up leveling, but you won’t be needing to sell stuff to clear your bags as often.
- Mounts: Always be sure to have the fastest possible mount speed.
- Consumables: Stack up on food, drink and optionally healing and mana potions, to reduce your downtime.
- Goblin Glider: The goblin glider can be nice to have to move around certain areas faster when a flying mount is not usable.
Picking up herbalism and mining is the best professions to have while leveling. Not only will you earn gold as you level, but you will also get extra XP. In Shadowlands XP rates for the gathering were nerfed, but you can still make a lot of gold while leveling by doing herbalism, skinning, or mining.
Picking herbs or mining nodes that are close to you are always worth it as you still get a fair bit of XP, just don’t go out of your way to farm them to much if you want to level fast.
Azeroth Autopilot is a free addon that guides you through the fastest leveling routes and gives you the option to quickly skip dialog or cutscenes along with many other useful features.
It is the only addon you need for leveling.
Titanpanel will show you how long it is until you level up and at which rate you are gaining XP.
Leveling to level 10 is done in 35 minutes or so. New players have to start in Exile’s Reach (the Tutorial) while other players have the option to start in each race’s starting zone.
Death Knights and Demon Hunters Start at level 8.
All allied races start at level 10.
Leveling past level 10 is done in Chromie Time by talking to Chromie in Stormwind or Orgrimmar.
Chromie will let you choose an expansion to level in. Below is a list of expansions, sorting them from fastest to slowest leveling expansion in Chromie Time.
- Warlords of Draenor
- Battle for Azeroth
- Mists of Pandaria
- Wrath of the Lich King
- The Burning Crusade
By running through the WoD campaign using Azeroth Autopilot you should be able to reach 50 in 6-10 hours.
The first time you level to 60 you will have to run the Shadowlands campaign. For speedleveling it is recommended that you also use Azeroth Autopilot here.
You will have to complete the entire campaign to unlock every aspect of the expanison.
When leveling alts you have two options. Leveling through the main story or through a system called Threads of Fate which has you completing bonus objectives, World Quests and Dungeons.
Leveling through the story is still faster at this time. There has been a lot of speculation that Threads of Fate will be boosted in future patches and that leveling through it will get faster.
After finishing the maw on your alt you will get the choice to select either Story leveling or Threads of Fate from Fatescribe Roh-Tahl.
If you choose Story mode, you will get the option to automatically skip the rest of the campaign upon reaching level 60.
Do you have any questions or suggestions for our WoW leveling guide, let us know in the comments below!